Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious:

Mopar has two basic performance add on/mods for the 3.6 Avenger/200:

P/N 77070048, Mopar Cold Air Intake System.

P/N 5156013 Cat-Back Exhaust System,
(and boy, it sure aint cheap!) Corsa makes it and offers their version for $200 less.

That's from Mopar, then there are a couple of people who make ported throttle bodies for the 3.6l; Modern Performace and some Fastman guy.

The only other Dodge Avenger and 200 forum I can find has most owners swearing by the CAI and exhaust; some say there's an increase but not worth the price. There is mixed opinions on the ported throttle body: some say there's an increase in performace while others say it's in their head.

There are a lot of people on THIS forum who REALLY know best of all, so my question is:

Are these things worth it? Do they really make a difference for these engines (not in general, but for the Pentastars) Or are they gimmicks?

I suspect the ported TB might be a waste of money, but I would imagine that if Mopar offers a CAI and exhaust, it'll be legitimate. But would it be worth the cost?

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The factory stock CAI and exhaust systems are pretty well tuned and flowing. I don't think that the aftermarket offerings are worth it. A louder air intake may give the illusion of more power.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory stock CAI and exhaust systems are pretty well tuned and flowing. I don't think that the aftermarket offerings are worth it. A louder air intake may give the illusion of more power.
Hmm... I had a feeling about that.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Sorry, I meant the difference between stock and Mopar Performance. You are already breathing in cold air with stock.
A larger diameter exhaust may hurt your low-end torque. The only advantage may come in at 4000 + rpms and how often do you drive like that?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I meant the difference between stock and Mopar Performance. You are already breathing in cold air with stock.
A larger diameter exhaust may hurt your low-end torque. The only advantage may come in at 4000 + rpms and how often do you drive like that?
Well, not often. And not for extended periods (b/cI do plan on having 'venger be the family car for a while).

However, the the diameter on the Mopar exhaust is the same as stock - 2.5" The difference between the two is the Mopar Cat-back has a special Corsa resonator that splits out from a Y adaptor to a pair of mufflers. The stock has one 2.5" pipe that runs from the cat into a suitcase styled muffler with dual outlets - like the Neon R/T ACR exhaust.

The sound from the Mopar/Corsa is amazing but it's a lot of money for just sound. If it helps performance then...

BTW, what's your opinion of ported throttle bodies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts