Allpar Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I do not want to insult anyone.Am I the only one on allpar that will only buy Chrysler products?Am I the only one on allpar that wonders why people who don't own Chrysler products are hear?

I think it's time for us Mopar loyalists to show ourselves.I think we are able to do this without offeding anyone.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I will not buy anything but a Dodge / Chrysler / Ram .... I would have to change my custom plates ! (moparjoe)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Some of us bought other makes because Mopar didn't have the car that fit our needs or wants at the time. Mopar is always my first choice, but I won't buy a car that doesn't fit my needs just because Mopar makes it.

I think it's clear that people like myself want Chrysler to succeed and offer the cars we want to buy. That is why we are here and follow what's happening.

Reactions: Christopher

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
hemirunner426 said:
First I do not want to insult anyone.Am I the only one on allpar that will only buy Chrysler products?Am I the only one on allpar that wonders why people who don't own Chrysler products are hear?

I think it's time for us Mopar loyalists to show ourselves.I think we are able to do this without offeding anyone.
It's a fine line.
But, nobody said that you had to own Mopar to be interested in the fate of the company and what they make. I think there are those that tried, but the Chrysler product simply didn't cut it, or there wasn't an offering that suited their needs. It gets hard to fault people for not buying some of the DCX era vehicles. I know I don't want them, but fortunately for me, I am content finding a better Chrysler.
Some of the interest stems from those hoping that Chrysler would build something that fits their needs. (If I wanted a new vehicle that seated over 7 people, I would be forced to look else where)

Me, I have become a loyalist. I only own Mopar - as you can see. And I do my best to push others into Mopars. But I have to balance that with recognizing they need to suit their needs first. In reality, my blind loyalty to Mopar only products is irrational. I know it full well, but I am ok with it. I can recognize that others don't have that. More over, Chrysler should be reminded every so often, if it doesn't care about us the customer, then it doesn't deserve us.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I'm currently on my 3rd Mopar minivan. First one was a '95 Grand Voyager LE that went to 198000 before the transaxle sheared the diff pin and destroyed itself. Second was a '99 Grand Caravan SE Sport that made it to almost 160000 before the oil pump failed and killed the engine. Current is an '02 Caravan with 422000 miles on it. So far, so good.

Earlier this year I passed down the '98 base Stratus 2.4 I bought back in '99 to my brother. One, because my father-in-law passed down his '00 Olds Intrigue to me after he retired, it was in better condition overall than the Stratus was, and my 6'4" son fits better in it. Two, my brother needed a reliable car that got better gas mileage than his '97 Ram 1500 SS/T, and despite the excessive rust in spots the Stratus was indeed reliable. I believe it recently crossed 190000 miles.

My car at this point is not much more than a daily driver/commuter. With the Olds I gained heated seats, power everything, more space, and a more powerful engine that amazingly gets the same/better gas mileage than the Stratus did. And since all it cost me was title & tags, it made sense to take advantage of it.

That said, I have an eye on a '12 or '13 Charger V6. Or a V6 Challenger in Deepwater Blue - but that's for when I no longer have to cart "Lurch" around. ;)

Or a Fiat 500L. :tomato:

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Why is this on the News and Rumors forum?

Mods, can you please move this to some other off-topic discussion area.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
hemirunner426 said:

I only buy Chrysler products. if Chrysler doesn't have a new product I want, I'll just buy something in the used market. For example, I would never spend money to buy a FWD car new but I bought several used FWD Chrysler products inexpensively and got good service from them. My Challenger was my first new car since 1999.

People who don't own Chrysler products are here for many reasons, but for many it seems to be just a place they can gripe. I don't think ownership of a Chrysler product should be a requirement to post but I don't pay much attention to people whose main reason for posting is to complain about currentl products they don't own.

That being said, I think we should be civil to every one. Derogatory terms for other cars or car owners does not add to the discussion. Other sites allow it and it's no fun reading them most of the time. If something post something that offends you, ignore it or report it (or set the poster on ignore if they are a reptitive annoyance to you).

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Consider that maybe Non-MoPar folk are visiting here because they are possibly investigating purchasing a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep product and are doing due diligence by doing "research".

According to your line of thinking, that's not allowed? I surely hope not.

Yes, this is a site for those that prefer/like/love Chrysler products, but that doesn't mean those from the other makes are not welcome. I would always welcome the opportunity to convert a potential buyer.

I tend to give MoPar the first shot, but if they don't have what I need or want, then I will entertain other makes.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Just bought my son a 95' Ranger own by a old couple .... first Non-Mopar. Tried to find a Dakota but all were high high mileage and I wanted something with less than a 100K

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
jclick said:
Some of us bought other makes because Mopar didn't have the car that fit our needs or wants at the time. Mopar is always my first choice, but I won't buy a car that doesn't fit my needs just because Mopar makes it.

I think it's clear that people like myself want Chrysler to succeed and offer the cars we want to buy. That is why we are here and follow what's happening.
+1

I'll always go for the Mopar vehicle first, but I don't have the means to buy a Mopar product that doesn't fit my needs. Besides, how will the company figure out how to build a vehicle I want if I always buy whatever they put in front of me?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bumonbox said:
It's a fine line.
But, nobody said that you had to own Mopar to be interested in the fate of the company and what they make. I think there are those that tried, but the Chrysler product simply didn't cut it, or there wasn't an offering that suited their needs. It gets hard to fault people for not buying some of the DCX era vehicles. I know I don't want them, but fortunately for me, I am content finding a better Chrysler.
Some of the interest stems from those hoping that Chrysler would build something that fits their needs. (If I wanted a new vehicle that seated over 7 people, I would be forced to look else where)

Me, I have become a loyalist. I only own Mopar - as you can see. And I do my best to push others into Mopars. But I have to balance that with recognizing they need to suit their needs first. In reality, my blind loyalty to Mopar only products is irrational. I know it full well, but I am ok with it. I can recognize that others don't have that. More over, Chrysler should be reminded every so often, if it doesn't care about us the customer, then it doesn't deserve us.
You are right,it may be irrational.New or used all I buy is Mopar.Not once have I or my extended family of mopar owners been left on the highway.From my history with mopar I believe they always have had a superior product.

T

·
0 Posts
I also wonder about people that visit here that are non believers. If they are here to check info about a purchase, then that's fine. Many on here just seem to want to grind the same tired axe, and as much as I bleed Mopar, it is really getting old.

·
Registered
476 Posts
When we were out looking for the girlfriend's first car, her first choices were all over the map. She wanted something small and cheap with 4 doors. We looked at Mazda2, Mini Cooper Clubman, Nissan Versa, and the Chevy Spark.
I pushed her to look at PT Cruisers. She hated them echoing the same attitudes that a lot of folks her age have about it like "it's ugly" or "it's for old people".
Then something clicked in her brain and she actually started liking them. She started digging on the odd colored ones and realized that they are indeed completely practical vehicles. It could have also been the constant harping from me regarding the fact that she could afford to pay cash for a PT versus hopping on the 5 year debt and overpaying bandwagon of financing her other choices.
She ended up paying cash for a nice 2002 Dream Cruiser in Aztec Gold and couldn't be happier. After a tune up, it runs great and I'm actually surpised how much I enjoy driving it despite it fitting me like a clown car. It actually favorably reminds me of how FWD Chryslers used to feel. She's happier than a clam and I'm happy that I don't have to worry about payments, higher insurance, or figuring out a Mini's German engineering to change a spark plug. She's already cooking up plans to personalize it with steelies, dog dish caps, and landau bars (I still don't understand that one but it's her ride) plus other assorted personality.
I've been telling her that in many ways the 500L is the spiritual succesor to the PT and may be worth a look as a replacement in a few years.
From a city girl that rode a scooter to a genuine fan of cars, the PT showed her the fun of the hobby.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
hemirunner426 said:

Let's see I've own 12 vehicles since my first one when I was 14 - starting with a 1955 Plymouth Plaza - 2 Chryslers, 5 Dodges, 2 Dodge Trucks & 3 Plymouths. I bought 4 new, included the very specially ordered '79 D150. Sometimes I owned more than 1 at a time, but I only buy Chrysler products.
After I bought my D150, my buddy sarted working for a Chevy dealer and wanted to sell me a new truck.... I said only if I could have a Dodge powertrain in it, would I be interested. When I worked at an International Harvester dealer I looked at the Scouts and was very interested when they were testing Dodge powertrains for the IH Truck line.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Many on here just seem to want to grind the same tired axe,
There are a lot of tired axes, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I used to put 100-120K a year on my cars as a service tech in Arkansas covering the whole state. I have driven K-Cars for YEARS as they are easy to repair by the side of the road. Head gasket? 45-60 mins. Ditto a timing belt. Look ma, no damage from the timing belt break. First non-K car was a 98 Breeze. Not as easy to work on but I had quit putting so many miles on by that time. I would guess at least twenty cars, all used over the years. All Mopar except my very first two cars, a Fiero and a Firebird, oops, followed by a 79 Chevy half ton. After that all Mopar. First new car purchase was last year, bought a new Journey. This year I bought a used Prelude for a commuter. Never saw a car less designed to be worked on. Big mistake. Trying to sell it now. Have my eyes on a nice Daytona R/T....

Forgot, used to own a Metro too. LOL But we were talking real cars weren't we?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I knew you guys were out there,thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mopar only for all 48 years of my life.
I still have problems thinking of jeep as a real MoPar after all these years lol, Especially considering the only MoPar that has given me massive grief was our 4.0L jeep.
The rest, from my Roadrunner at 18 years of age to my Charger R/T I have now have been great cars.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.