Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last week a new Pennzoil commercial has been airing featuring Mopar vehicles only: 2013 SRT Charger & Viper, '67 Plymouth B body (GTX?). No brand X vehicles are used in the spot nor is there any direct reference being made to Chrysler vehicles.

I'm not sure if this is a regional or national commercial but it would be interesting to know the relationship between Pennzoil and Chrysler that brings this about. Has anyone seen this ad and/or have any specific information on how this came about?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Saw it last night while watching Duck Dynasty. Pretty good, and really liked that Charger. Now we need to get Si as a spokesman!

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
There is a new ad I've seen a few times recently with 2 2011+ Challengers on dynos comparing two oil companies.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Pennzoil has a contract with Chrysler. Chrysler uses Pennzoil exclusively.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Charger Red said:
Hmm..guess the Mobil One days are long over.
Yup. Have been for a while.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Charger Red said:
Hmm..guess the Mobil One days are long over.
In April 2011 Shell/Pennzoil signed a strategic agreement with Chrysler Group for all dealers and factory fill. Pennzoil oil and filters are now the supplied for Mopar branded products. This was the exclusivity deal.

As part of the deal, Shell has to use Chrysler (or Fiat) products in their marketing.

Mike

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info. I knew that there had to be some reason. Guess I would have noticed the relationship if I'd purchased a new SRT - which I'm currently holding - out upon....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Interesting; I had no clue about Pennzoil being put into Chryc products. I was thinking for the past week about posting a question whether Pennzoil was any good because you often see it sell for a lot lower price than the competition, so this is my opportunity. I know Penn. would have to meet minimum oil testing standards, but is it really comparible to Say Mobil or Quaker State oil products?

·
Registered
424 Posts
willy said:
Interesting; I had no clue about Pennzoil being put into Chryc products. I was thinking for the past week about posting a question whether Pennzoil was any good because you often see it sell for a lot lower price than the competition, so this is my opportunity. I know Penn. would have to meet minimum oil testing standards, but is it really comparible to Say Mobil or Quaker State oil products?
Seems to be more of a debate for the "bob is the oil guy" forum. Prices seem to vary a lot across the country for various products. I've had products cheaper in my area that are the most expensive in areas for other people. Modern oil is so far superior that I'd be hard pressed to honestly find any regular oil with proper certifications ever causing an issue with regular changes.

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
April 2011 Allpar News:

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2011/04/mopar-announces-new-partnerships-with-magneti-marelli-and-shell

In addition to Magneti Marelli, Mopar is also working with Shell Lubricants in order to further bolster the company’s move to offer dedicated express-lane services in its dealerships. Shell Lubricants provides dealer-level program and marketing support and supplies the Mopar oil program with premium Mopar and Pennzoil® motor oils for Chrysler Group vehicles and competitive makes.
In addition to Pennzoil passenger-car motor oils, Mopar’s oil program will feature Shell Rotella® heavy-duty engine oils. Both Pennzoil and Shell Rotella are the most preferred brands in the US in their respective categories and will be featured components of Mopar’s Express Lane program.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Castrol and Quaker State seem to generate more sludge under heavy use, while PZ and Valvoline seem to run the cleanest among conventionals. I haven't been in the engine building biz for four years, so there may have been other advancements since then. I know that running PZ in my own cars they have remained pretty clean inside, and have had a number of them go 250+ without failures. Recent example was a 94 T&C. Traded with 280K. Didn't even smoke. Used Pennzoil since 40K when I got it. My FIL's Ram I inherited has nigh 200K on it and has been Valvoline all it's life. Ditto my daughter's Ram. By the same token I know driving style makes a lot of difference. I just know that on average it SEEMED like most of the ones I had to rebuild in years past ran Castrol or QS. May be my memory is wrong, but between the two, I guess 70%. Filthy and caked inside the valve covers. Dad had a 301 Pontiac with 130K on it that I pulled a valve cover on and there was a perfect indents of the rockers in the 1" plus thick layer of coke/carbon in the valve cover. He used QS it's whole life.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
trumpet12345 said:
Seems to be more of a debate for the "bob is the oil guy" forum. Prices seem to vary a lot across the country for various products. I've had products cheaper in my area that are the most expensive in areas for other people. Modern oil is so far superior that I'd be hard pressed to honestly find any regular oil with proper certifications ever causing an issue with regular changes.
Probably true and I agree, however I will,say this, as the cause for the long standing dislike by many for Pennzoil. Pennsylvania oil is known for its high concentration of paraffin. That means Quaker State and Pennzoil.
Paraffin is a great lubricant in crude, low tolerance devices, but in close tolerances, which have friction and high heat, it causes sludge build up.
That being said, modern oils ( in the last decade) have come a long way and chemist have changed the formulas to remove as much of the paraffin as possible, so I wouldn't worry about it too much with frequent oil changes. The API rating certifies durability and viscosity.
If Chrysler uses it, they have likely tested it extensively, first.
Cummins recommends Rotella and my dealer uses that, along with the Pennzoil for gas motors.
In engines at my shop, I use Valvoline and Castrol Racing oil. But those engines are old school, with non OEM tolerances.
I wouldn't worry about Mopar using Pennzoil.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mike V. said:
In April 2011 Shell/Pennzoil signed a strategic agreement with Chrysler Group for all dealers and factory fill. Pennzoil oil and filters are now the supplied for Mopar branded products. This was the exclusivity deal.
As part of the deal, Shell has to use Chrysler (or Fiat) products in their marketing.
Mike
Just an FYI, the filters are made for them by WIX.
WIX makes, Napa Gold, Mopar, Pennzoil and Car Quest Premium, those specific filters are the same filter, if you dissect them you will find they are identical. Note: Not all Napa and Car Quest filters are the same, just the premium line, as noted.

ADD: it appears that the Pennzoil filters are no longer made by WIX, at least they are not the same quality as the former Mopar filter and Napa Gold.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts