Allpar Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
This part of the autoblog review explains a lot of complaints about the 9hp, and how they were motivated by user ignorance rather than technical issues:

"An interesting feature of the transmission is Electronic Range Select. Unlike so many other gearboxes on the market, you can't choose any gear for the nine-speed to be in; what you do is tell the transmission the range of gears it has available to it, and it will choose the best gear for the current driving situation and fuel economy. It's for situations like towing, for instance, when you're headed up a grade and you know you don't want the transmission to shift above fourth gear."
Erik Latranyi said:
Just wait, folks. They comparison tests have not been done.

I could easily say these reviews are positive because they got free airfare, lodging and food from Chrysler.

Dart had a lot of glowing reviews until production units were put against the competition.

We've been stabbed in the back before.
+1 going against the current is the trick so-called journalists use to get clicks ;) MT is the grand master of them all...

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
MoparNorm said:
My post was in regards to the scarcity of praise in that review, it was merely a rehash of the press release, not praise.
Half of one percent? That's very scientific of you.
Do you realize that 7 million Californians use the OHV system? That 20% of the population. It's likely less in other states, but that represents a huge pool of potential customers, when extrapolated nationwide.
It doesn't help Chrysler's bottom line to regurgitate nonsensical statistics to make an invalid point. Chrysler wants to have a good selling CUV, fine, just don't sell out Jeep to do it.
I agree, however the linked USA Today review had nothing attributed to it by the poster.
OHV is not just for cars. That's also talking about ATVs, motorcycles, etc, right? It's not as if 20% of the CA population is offroading their car*?

*generic word :)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JKU12 said:
OHV is not just for cars. That's also talking about ATVs, motorcycles, etc, right? It's not as if 20% of the CA population is offroading their car*?

*generic word
While there are areas for ATV's and motorcycles, the vast majority of USFS, OHV trails are for STREET LEGAL vehicles, the large majority of which are Jeeps.

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

I could easily say these reviews are positive because they got free airfare, lodging and food from Chrysler.

Dart had a lot of glowing reviews until production units were put against the competition.

Good point.

RVC said:
This part of the autoblog review explains a lot of complaints about the 9hp, and how they were motivated by user ignorance rather than technical issues:

"An interesting feature of the transmission is Electronic Range Select. Unlike so many other gearboxes on the market, you can't choose any gear for the nine-speed to be in; what you do is tell the transmission the range of gears it has available to it, and it will choose the best gear for the current driving situation and fuel economy. It's for situations like towing, for instance, when you're headed up a grade and you know you don't want the transmission to shift above fourth gear."
+1 going against the current is the trick so-called journalists use to get clicks ;) MT is the grand master of them all...
+1 to them for knowing this. As I pointed out in another post, the ERS works differently than most expect if they don't know what it is. Our van has it, and its good. Would still prefer an "AutoStick" though

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

For me, a long time Jeep owner the only comparison test that I am interested in is how does the KL perform against other Jeeps? Current and past models.
I don't care how the other brands perform.

Jeep needs to prove to me that my needs are better met in the KL than in other Jeep models. And I'm not just talking off road.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
For me, a long time Jeep owner the only comparison test that I am interested in is how does the KL perform against other Jeeps? Current and past models.
I don't care how the other brands perform.

Jeep needs to prove to me that my needs are better met in the KL than in other Jeep models. And I'm not just talking off road.
If they got you in a Jeep they would prefer you get a Wrangler or GC with there higher margins.

1.7 million sold in that market segment it darn important how it does against Escape, CRV, RAV4, CX-5, and the Koreans. DARN important.

The reviewer did say he prefered the ride to GC.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

That's what I am afraid of.

Mike

·
Administrator
35,982 Posts
JP did a sortakinda from-memory comparison to XJ. Their results were mixed, essentially, KL didn't get stuck and it didn't scrape as much as XJ, but it needs a 50/50 lock; not that they got stuck.

XJ had better ground clearance and no rebound issues. But KL has better traction control systems in general. (When I say "KL" I am referring to Trailhawk and when I say "XJ" to 4x4).

I suspect that KL is overall better than the last Liberty.

Again, I go back to the big question: can it do the Rubicon un-aided? That was the old test but it's not entirely a valid test because the Rubicon changes with time. Still, it would be interesting to have someone try it.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Dave said:
Again, I go back to the big question: can it do the Rubicon un-aided? That was the old test but it's not entirely a valid test because the Rubicon changes with time. Still, it would be interesting to have someone try it.
I am confident that someone will take both an XJ and a KL up the same trail and see which one gets stuck first,

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I am confident that someone will take both an XJ and a KL up the same trail and see which one gets stuck first,
XJ?, cause it runs out of gas first. :)

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,388 Posts
Like I Have Been Telling EVERYONE Why Don't You Wait Until You Have 3 to 5K Miles on One Before You Get REAL Opinionated About It.

OK GANG !

How The [email protected]#$^^&*(+++#%!) Some Can Evaluate a New Set Of Wheels Months or a Year Plus Before Even Seeing

One is Has Been Way the XXXX Beyond Me.

TMD

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mike V. said:
That's what I am afraid of.
Mike
...and with reason... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

The reviews were never glowing about the Dart, they said it was a good car and was certainly Chrysler's best competition in the segment in years and they glossed over the lack of power in the engines. Then once the comparisons started it didn't get as high of marks. It was still well liked and noone ever actually trashed it, they basically had a few complaints about it, i.e. underpowered and uncomfortable seats (both of which have been fixed and must not have been wrong).

I expect the Cherokee will perform better in comparison tests, will it win? Maybe, maybe not, but it will do just fine. Besides, glowing reviews are glowing reviews, if you google Cherokee reviews, very few comparison tests will show up and these reviews will, so hey, good press right?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
TripleT said:
If they got you in a Jeep they would prefer you get a Wrangler or GC with there higher margins.
The problem is that the prior Jeep vehicles I purchased had the best of both.
Wrangler like capability and a fixed metal roof. Both the removable top Wrangler and the independent suspension Grand Cherokee are compromises to what I used to be able to purchase from Jeep.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts