Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
When I first raised this problem, I was dismissed.

The emissions turned out to be real and the complaints were valid.

At this point, I will trust the community over the company.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,480 Posts
They want to be bought out of their homes. o they're going to keep :rolleyes: "complaining" :rolleyes: until they have six figure checks written for them.
Do you have insight into their situation? Not everything is about money. It seems they want to breathe clean air. Who wouldn't want to do that?

·
Registered
Jeep
2,748 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
They want to be bought out of their homes. So they're going to keep :rolleyes: "complaining" :rolleyes: until they have six figure checks written for them.
So it's ok for corps to lobby government to relocate entire neighborhoods to benefit the corp but some residents want clean air or the ability to relocate and they're entitled?

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,234 Posts
What they really wanted appeared to be clean air.
The article posted here doesn't mention that the state did find evidence of leaks from the plant.
The settlement seems quite reasonable, even inexpensive by auto plant standards.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
FCA did not install the ducting required to properly handle volatile organic compounds. They paid huge fines for that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I understand the issue with the plant emissions of odors I agree that they should do their fair share to remedy but isn't this also like complaining about the noise/odors from a paper mill, sugar plant, military base, airport or race track when they've been there forever. This isn't the only place in the world that this happens it just happens to be more prevalent because we are talking about a newer plant that has had some issues whether it was intentional for just faulty scrubbers from a subpar contractor. I don't understand why you would want to live and try and raise a family in a industrial zone in the first place, seems Detroit needs better zoning laws to be honest this would help alleviate some of the issues.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
I understand the issue with the plant emissions of odors I agree that they should do their fair share to remedy but isn't this also like complaining about the noise/odors from a paper mill, sugar plant, military base, airport or race track when they've been there forever. This isn't the only place in the world that this happens it just happens to be more prevalent because we are talking about a newer plant that has had some issues whether it was intentional for just faulty scrubbers from a subpar contractor. I don't understand why you would want to live and try and raise a family in a industrial zone in the first place, seems Detroit needs better zoning laws to be honest this would help alleviate some of the issues.
The problem is that FCA was caught lying initially and then had to pay big fines and install the proper ducting in the plants.

They may have eliminated the smell and emissions from the pre-paint portion of the plant only to have another section be revealed as not up to standards.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
There is a difference between moving next to an existing facility and complaining than having a new or upgraded facility built by your house.
In the first case the home buyer really didn’t do proper due diligence. In the second case, the property owner isn’t at fault.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
345 Posts
The problem is that FCA was caught lying initially and then had to pay big fines and install the proper ducting in the plants.

They may have eliminated the smell and emissions from the pre-paint portion of the plant only to have another section be revealed as not up to standards.
Don't you think that maybe the city and state inspectors should've caught this beforehand lots of negligence on multiple sides...That is their job to catch the infractions beforehand not after the fact and signed off on the project. That is my understanding with building codes or is there something deeper involved ????

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,480 Posts
Don't you think that maybe the city and state inspectors should've caught this beforehand lots of negligence on multiple sides...That is their job to catch the infractions beforehand not after the fact and signed off on the project. That is my understanding with building codes or is there something deeper involved ????
You're talking about a job creator. The inspectors probably pencil whipped them right on through. They aren't low hanging fruit like an individual is.

·
Defender of Reality
3,025 Posts
Should they have? Absolutely. But you're talking about a huge employer with a ton of political capital investing in an area that desperately needs it. Money talks and inspections get rubber stamped. Shouldn't happen, but it does and not just in Detroit.

·
Defender of Reality
3,025 Posts
FCA did not install the ducting required to properly handle volatile organic compounds. They paid huge fines for that.
Yep, and that was installed and tested back in December. Pretty odd they're still experiencing leaks of this magnitude. You'd have thought workers would be complaining as well. Seems from the article like they're going to install additional mitigation equipment, so clearly acknowledging there's still an issue.

Reactions: Adventurer55
1 - 20 of 42 Posts