Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,227 Posts
FWIW,
I understand the issue with the plant emissions of odors I agree that they should do their fair share to remedy but isn't this also like complaining about the noise/odors from a paper mill, sugar plant, military base, airport or race track when they've been there forever. This isn't the only place in the world that this happens it just happens to be more prevalent because we are talking about a newer plant that has had some issues whether it was intentional for just faulty scrubbers from a subpar contractor. I don't understand why you would want to live and try and raise a family in a industrial zone in the first place, seems Detroit needs better zoning laws to be honest this would help alleviate some of the issues.
You'd want to live nearby if you worked there. Also, the new plant wasn't there before, and the old plant didn't smell bad. I was there taking pictures before they started construction - it was dead silent in that neighborhood and the air was fine. It's really not an industrial zone around the plant. It's a residential zone and there's one big square block with a factory in it, which you can't even see most of behind a big berm.

Have you actually been out there? Or at least looked it up on satellite maps? The streets with trees are residential. Nobody lives in the “industrial zone.” It’s all Chrysler factories in there.

This is really blaming the victim. Chrysler admitted to having bad ducting. There are laws which cover this. It's not legal. They agreed to fix it. They are fixing it and doing other remediations as well.

Architecture Urban design Land lot Residential area Landscape

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
Don't you think that maybe the city and state inspectors should've caught this beforehand lots of negligence on multiple sides...That is their job to catch the infractions beforehand not after the fact and signed off on the project. That is my understanding with building codes or is there something deeper involved ????
You are talking about holding gov't employees responsible for doing their job. We have done less and less of that over the years. Even Congress (regardless which party has control) has exercised their oversight authority less and less.

If they would fire some of these gov't employees it might change things. But you are more likely to be struck by lightning than be fired from a government job. FACT

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Defender of Reality
3,024 Posts
Management was probably golfing instead of actually managing.
More likely US leadership got a directive from overseas to not spend a dime. Too easy to make that call from Italy or France in an ivory tower.

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
You are talking about holding gov't employees responsible for doing their job. We have done less and less of that over the years. Even Congress (regardless which party has control) has exercised their oversight authority less and less.
We are not blaming the government now, are we? They did their job. The government does not have enough people to stand around and supervise every construction job. They investigated, came to a conclusion, and made a fair judgement about what to do next. I think the system worked just fine.

·
Super Moderator
40,825 Posts
We are not blaming the government now, are we? They did their job. The government does not have enough people to stand around and supervise every construction job. They investigated, came to a conclusion, and made a fair judgement about what to do next. I think the system worked just fine.
I don't know enough about their local regulations to say if the government agency followed proper protocol.
  • If the agency only has to approve a design and the design was proper but implementation was not I would not blame the government agency.
  • However, if the government agency has an obligation to inspect the work, then the agency failed in its duty it would seem.
  • If the agency's only obligation is to respond to complaints, the agency is doing that job.

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
Inspections can only reveal so much, too. A leak in ducting, well, I wouldn't blame FCA or the government inspectors for missing that. I assume FCA was also overseeing all this. These things can be very un-obvious. The followup was all done reasonably by all parties, as far as I can tell. Have none of us ever screwed up?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Have you actually been out there? Or at least looked it up on satellite maps? The streets with trees are residential. Nobody lives in the “industrial zone.” It’s all Chrysler factories in there.

This is really blaming the victim. Chrysler admitted to having bad ducting. There are laws which cover this. It's not legal. They agreed to fix it. They are fixing it and doing other remediations as well.

View attachment 90506
And it wasn't the only plant near residential areas, back then Dodge Main althought back when it was built it was still rural but was quickly surrounded by residential areas, same with the former Packard plant when we check old historic aerials.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,173 Posts
Inspection of a plant of this size would be hard to do with the limited number of inspectors and seeing a flaw in the ducting system would be easy to do. Officially they should but they are not going over every inch to see that each detail is correct and since the plant would not be functional at that time, they could not smell vapors not being captured.

·
Defender of Reality
3,024 Posts
No, I disagree. This has pure Americana business management skills written all over it.
Sorry, that's garbage. I'm a C-level exec with an MBA and we were never taught that compromising health & safety or doing things to incite public ire were good ideas. My organization has 127 locations nationwide and we make sure HVAC, plumbing, etc is all well maintained for our employees and customers because downtime is TOO EXPENSIVE to be able to afford any headaches. Same things with fines and penalties.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,474 Posts
Sorry, that's garbage. I'm a C-level exec with an MBA and we were never taught that compromising health & safety or doing things to incite public ire were good ideas. My organization has 127 locations nationwide and we make sure HVAC, plumbing, etc is all well maintained for our employees and customers because downtime is TOO EXPENSIVE to be able to afford any headaches. Same things with fines and penalties.
I honestly don't care what level executive you are. This stuff happens all the time, in the name of cost cutting. It may not go on at your company, but it does other places. Sometimes strikes are called because of faulty HVAC systems.

·
Super Moderator
40,825 Posts
It all depends on corporate culture. Some make a point of following the rules, others look for shortcuts. FCA took shortcuts, cost cut today to pay the price tomorrow. It happened at the top. It happened down through the ranks.

·
Defender of Reality
3,024 Posts
I honestly don't care what level executive you are. This stuff happens all the time, in the name of cost cutting. It may not go on at your company, but it does other places. Sometimes strikes are called because of faulty HVAC systems.
You said it's "pure Americana business skills". It's not taught in any program I'm aware of, and it's not practiced by peers that I know. It's more the playbook of a leveraged buyout vulture firm...

I objected to you painting with a broad brush and personally resented the implication that it's always "workers vs management". Total BS. If your company is like that, then find a new job and I'm sorry that's been your experience.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
You said it's "pure Americana business skills". It's not taught in any program I'm aware of, and it's not practiced by peers that I know. It's more the playbook of a leveraged buyout vulture firm...

I objected to you painting with a broad brush and personally resented the implication that it's always "workers vs management". Total BS. If your company is like that, then find a new job and I'm sorry that's been your experience.
Well most of the time it is. Management is encouraged to cut costs to pad their own pockets with bonus metrics. And the old find a new job line. I never said I was unhappy, but I have personally seen it, and it happens far too often to not be learned in some fashion. Of course it's not taught in college. I'm semi retired, so I'm at the stage of life to where I don't care what one thinks of me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
There is a difference between moving next to an existing facility and complaining than having a new or upgraded facility built by your house.
In the first case the home buyer really didn’t do proper due diligence. In the second case, the property owner isn’t at fault.
That are in which the Mack plant is located was heavily industrialized for decades. What is known as the old Mack Stamping plant used to build and paint bodies for Plymouth. A plant on Warren and Conner (which is now a shopping center) used to build and paint bodies for Packard. Budd on Mack and Conner used to build and paint bodies for Ford and Hudson, and of course on Kerchaval and Conner was the Chrysler plant. The pollution in those days was exponentially worse than it is today. It was common knowledge that the area is zoned heavy industrial.

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
That are in which the Mack plant is located was heavily industrialized for decades. What is known as the old Mack Stamping plant used to build and paint bodies for Plymouth. A plant on Warren and Conner (which is now a shopping center) used to build and paint bodies for Packard. Budd on Mack and Conner used to build and paint bodies for Ford and Hudson, and of course on Kerchaval and Conner was the Chrysler plant. The pollution in those days was exponentially worse than it is today. It was common knowledge that the area is zoned heavy industrial.
Well, I guess nobody should hold Chrysler accountable for violating pollution rules, then?

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
WE should blame everyone responsible, regardless if they are corporate, government or aliens.

I do not see how holding people responsible is a touchy subject.

·
Administrator
40,227 Posts
WE should blame everyone responsible, regardless if they are corporate, government or aliens.

I do not see how holding people responsible is a touchy subject.
Well, mainly because the government did exactly what it is supposed to do. You're blaming them for working properly.

Most of the people here are acting as though nobody in the world has ever made a mistake and every contractor has always been 100% perfect, and every company always has enough people to supervise every construction job, and the government has inspectors watching everything get put together. None of this is realistic.

People make mistakes, government inspectors are in short supply due to 40 years of budget cuts, and the system worked as it was supposed to. The problem is being solved reasonably quickly and amicably, and a small amount of compensation is going back to the community. The amount of criticism and "let's blame so-and-so" is outrageously high in this thread when there are lots of real scandals out there.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
In today's society corporations and the rich are held to a different standard then folks of less means. The only accountability they receive is monetary most times. Court cases almost always allows them to admit no wrongdoing and just send out a check. If a person of less means is arrested he or she doesn't have the money to hire a good attorney and almost always has to plead to some crime. It's not fair, but that's the way it is, and not likely to change anytime soon. It does sound as if this is going to get fixed, but I seriously doubt absolutely no one knew that there wasn't a problem.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts