Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,734 Posts
Waiting for him to get assassinated... unless the oil barons are also invested in power generation or electric cars...

It seems that this is happening whether people want it or not ;) I think the typical person is OK with it despite lots of FUD.

I will hand this to Musk - though I think he personally is scum and is responsible for at least a few deaths - his ability to make electric cars “fun” with things like “ludicrous mode” has revolutionized how people see them, in a way Fisker would not have done.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
This is what happens when you give government this much power. They pick and choose who wins.

Yes, @Dave Z , the people regulating and supplying electricity will replace oil barons. But electricity will never be a commodity subject to the laws of supply and demand. Rates and regulations will be set by "friends" of government.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
This is what happens when you give government this much power. They pick and choose who wins.

Yes, @Dave Z , the people regulating and supplying electricity will replace oil barons. But electricity will never be a commodity subject to the laws of supply and demand. Rates and regulations will be set by "friends" of government.
This is what happens when you give a kleptocracy this much power.

I am not anti-government. I am anti-Russian-government.

Sweden, Germany, Norway, etc all have powerful governments which make life easier on most of their citizens, while the Russian government makes life easier for a small number of connected people. It is just an extension of the Soviet government which was was an extension of the czars...

I would like our own government to be strong enough to avoid being twisted around Amazon's or Google's little finger. Or, for that matter, ExxonMobil's.

Our history clearly shows that a weak government leads to private armies (pre-FDR) and near-slavery for most people. I am proud of the United States for rising and creating minimum working standards for everyone who doesn't work in West Virginia or the prison system.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
This is what happens when you give a kleptocracy this much power.

I am not anti-government. I am anti-Russian-government.

Sweden, Germany, Norway, etc all have powerful governments which make life easier on most of their citizens, while the Russian government makes life easier for a small number of connected people. It is just an extension of the Soviet government which was was an extension of the czars...

I would like our own government to be strong enough to avoid being twisted around Amazon's or Google's little finger. Or, for that matter, ExxonMobil's.

Our history clearly shows that a weak government leads to private armies (pre-FDR) and near-slavery for most people. I am proud of the United States for rising and creating minimum working standards for everyone who doesn't work in West Virginia or the prison system.
We are a kleptocracy with multi billion dollar government contracts choosing who is the winner and loser.

Elon Musk is one of the first BEV barons supplying vehicles to the wealthy along with taxpayer money. If that is a system you support, then I want none of it.

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
We are a kleptocracy with multi billion dollar government contracts choosing who is the winner and loser.

Elon Musk is one of the first BEV barons supplying vehicles to the wealthy along with taxpayer money. If that is a system you support, then I want none of it.
If you choose to wish blue is red and squares are circles, I cannot argue with you. You have already proven immune to reasoned argument in other areas. I won't try to change your mind. It's not possible.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
If you choose to wish blue is red and squares are circles, I cannot argue with you. You have already proven immune to reasoned argument in other areas. I won't try to change your mind. It's not possible.
Sorry, but a gov't that gives credits to the wealthy to buy electric cars and then runs out when the lower economic classes can afford them is not the model of good government in my view.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
Sorry, but a gov't that gives credits to the wealthy to buy electric cars and then runs out when the lower economic classes can afford them is not the model of good government in my view.
And here you weasel from "our government is completely corrupt" to "I disagree with this one policy which I know you also disagree with."

And yes, I disagree with the $7500 subsidy.

However, I highly doubt that was passed due to bribery.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
And here you weasel from "our government is completely corrupt" to "I disagree with this one policy which I know you also disagree with."

And yes, I disagree with the $7500 subsidy.

However, I highly doubt that was passed due to bribery.
Ask yourself why do career politicians......so-called "public servants" continue to become millionaires at a faster rate than the rest of the nation?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Ask yourself why do career politicians......so-called "public servants" continue to become millionaires at a faster rate than the rest of the nation?
To the extent that most are rich to start with, that's a post hoc argument, since money makes money. Where your argument is correct is the way the Beltway works: people move in and out of the business, lobbying, and government (civil service/elected/politically appointed) and get richer.

Reactions: World14
1 - 10 of 10 Posts