Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone casn steer me right. I have a 2018 Cherokee AD II with the 3.2. In the owners manual it says to use mopar shell helix or pennzoil that meets MS-6395 in 5W20, I'm trying to figure out if there are any oils that are conventional, specifically pennzoil (as that's what my dealer uses) because I want to figure out how much to expect an oil change to be when my free ones run out. So far when I try their sites I put in make model and engian, they all just list synthetic, but I'm not sure if that's just an upsell and they just show their full synthetic lines or if like the 2.4 the only oils that meet it are synthetic. Because that a difference from a roughly $40 buck oil change to a roughly $100 oil change so roughly 80 or 200 in oil changes a year! (And I am trying to compare a couple options to get q discounted rate)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
. . . . I have a 2018 Cherokee AD II with the 3.2. In the owners manual it says to use mopar shell helix or pennzoil that meets MS-6395 in 5W20, I'm trying to figure out if there are any oils that are conventional, specifically pennzoil (as that's what my dealer uses) because I want to figure out how much to expect an oil change to be when my free ones run out. . . . .
Pennzoil conventional 5W-20 meets Chrysler specification MS6395. Here is a link to specifications for this oil at Pennzoil website. Many retailers will carry this specific oil so it will be easy to find.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...600c9d07892b/Pennzoil-SAE-5W-20-Motor-Oil.pdf

Text Font

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pennzoil conventional 5W-20 meets Chrysler specification MS6395. Here is a link to specifications for this oil at Pennzoil website. Many retailers will carry this specific oil so it will be easy to find.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...600c9d07892b/Pennzoil-SAE-5W-20-Motor-Oil.pdf

View attachment 19205
Thank you, where did you find this? It just seems crazy to me that Chrysler says conventional can last 12 months or 10k miles (if old indicator does not come on before then)

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,977 Posts
The Pennzoil is a premium motor oil. Modern engine machining and tolerances are such now that motor oil stays much cleaner for much longer. The days of 'every 3000 miles' are no longer true. Of course oil life will vary with driving conditions, etc.
There are discussions of oil brands on this if you Google for them.
Stock up on a couple of oil filter kits: Mopar 68191349AC.

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
I actually joined the BITOG website to ask for ATF+4 information. There are a lot of knowledgable techs there, but beware of strong opinions about what is best. There is a lot of 'brand loyalty' from 'believers' who will say 'only use this oil', etc. Take 'expert' opinions with a grain of salt, especially where synthetic oil choices are concerned.
For many years Mobil1 didn't meet Chrysler MS-6395, but the people who swore by it still used it. It is mostly marketing. The Royal Purples and AMSOILS are 'boutique' oils IMHO.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Pennzoil is a premium motor oil. Modern engine machining and tolerances are such now that motor oil stays much cleaner for much longer. The days of 'every 3000 miles' are no longer true. Of course oil life will vary with driving conditions, etc.
There are discussions of oil brands on this if you Google for them.
Stock up on a couple of oil filter kits: Mopar 68191349AC.
Thank you, I seen that watch a episode of from CBC for a consumer watch dog show that did that. It's hard to get used to as I've dont 3 month 3k since I was 16 except for the last 2 or 3 years when my dealer upped the sticker to 4 months 4k on the caliber (although i think that owners manual said 6 month 6k unless the oil indicator can on first) with conventional oil. It kinda a scary (although money saving) adjustment for me to not do 4 oil changes a year

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also would I be laughed out of the service department if I asked them to make up the reminder sticker at 12 month 10k? As I guess I'll trust that and the oil indicator, just in case that comes before the oil life indicator (eventhough I doubt it will)

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
With the instrument cluster oil change reminder, I don't think that reminder stickers are necessary any longer. The rear pages in the owners manual are for keeping maintenance logs. I usually include the date and mileage of services performed for my records.
With the 6000 mile oil change, the tires should also be rotated at every oil change. Rotation used to be every-other oil change when the service interval was 3000 miles.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,458 Posts
Thank you, I seen that watch a episode of from CBC for a consumer watch dog show that did that. It's hard to get used to as I've dont 3 month 3k since I was 16 except for the last 2 or 3 years when my dealer upped the sticker to 4 months 4k on the caliber (although i think that owners manual said 6 month 6k unless the oil indicator can on first) with conventional oil. It kinda a scary (although money saving) adjustment for me to not do 4 oil changes a year
I've tried to stay with a 5,000 mile oil change with my '06 Ram 1500. Always used conventional 5w-20. No engine problems to date - truck has almost 253K miles. Our Journey gets oil changes about every 6K miles - conventional 10w-30. Journey has 144K.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Same here. 5K changes with the factory fill oil: Pennzoil.
Also exclusively use MoPar filters in all my cars. Depending on the engine, they are made by Wix or Purolator,
but to more stringent specifications.

Funny, some folks will spend thousands on a vehicle, but then nickel and dime the maintenance costs.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I know is is not a Chrysler product, but a little over 2 years ago we bought a used 2011 Ford Flex. Ford calls for Motorcraft full synthetic oil, 5W-20 to be used, fortunately Walmart usually has it in a 5 qt or 1 qt container along with the FL500S filter it takes. I read the owners manual right after we bought it, did a full tune up at 100K (Ford's recommended interval), oil and filter. I had to get the cooling system flush done by the dealer. Did one more oil change at 105K, but there is no recommended mileage interval, use the % oil life remaining is the interval recommendation. I did, Wednesday the "change oil soon" came up in the center display on the cluster, so it has been roughly 10K miles and a number of months.

Kind of hard to get used to after the old 3K intervals. Unfortunately my only nearby Walmart did not have the oil or filter yesterday, so I had to go to the dealer, and they were down to 1 qt of the oil, but were getting a shipment around 1:30, so I had to go back up there, so instead of a maybe $30 cost, this time with my discount it is $50, still cheaper than replacing that NA DOHC 3.5L engine!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Check if your dealer sells oil change packages. I bought a package of four for our '15 Challenger SXT for $60. I assume they're taking a loss on the oil changes to try to drive additional repair work, but that's not my problem. I also bought a package of four oil changes for the '15 Challenger Scat Pack. I forget how much that was, but it was less than I could buy the oil and filters and do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
39,071 Posts
I’ve been changing oil at 40% life left according to the monitor. The miles vary but it’s usually somewhere around 6k, do I guess 10k could happen on the monitor.

3k oil changes are an artifact of carbureted engines and the tendency of them to run rich at times.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
. . . .I seen that watch a episode of from CBC for a consumer watch dog show that did that. It's hard to get used to as I've dont 3 month 3k since I was 16 except for the last 2 or 3 years when my dealer upped the sticker to 4 months 4k on the caliber (although i think that owners manual said 6 month 6k unless the oil indicator can on first) with conventional oil. It kinda a scary (although money saving) adjustment for me to not do 4 oil changes a year . . . .
Old habits that give us "comfort" are difficult to abandon. As many have said modern oil technology coupled with emission and engine technology have allowed longer operational intervals on motor oil before needing replacement.

I have questioned longer drain intervals on engine oil and wondered if the oil additives were being depleted. One procedure that you can accomplish and get valid answers to your concerns is to send an oil drain sample to a testing facility for analysis. One that I have used is Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne, IN. website: Blackstone Labs (at https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ ) Go to the website and read lots of good information.

This testing facility will send you an oil sample kit along with instructions. You return the sample to the facility and in 5 - 10 days you will get an email response with analysis. Standard analysis is $28.00. Since you are concerned about oil life ask for the additional test of TBN (total base number) which is an additional $10.00 fee. That will give an indication of additive life remaining in the oil. I think you will be surprised by the results and realize that with today's engines and oils these extended oil change intervals are solid and valid.

·
KOG
7,258 Posts
I actually joined the BITOG website to ask for ATF+4 information. There are a lot of knowledgable techs there, but beware of strong opinions about what is best. There is a lot of 'brand loyalty' from 'believers' who will say 'only use this oil', etc. Take 'expert' opinions with a grain of salt, especially where synthetic oil choices are concerned.
For many years Mobil1 didn't meet Chrysler MS-6395, but the people who swore by it still used it. It is mostly marketing. The Royal Purples and AMSOILS are 'boutique' oils IMHO.
Mobil 1 still doesn't meet spec and I still use it, have for decades. Got several cars over 200K with no noticeable wear and no sludge. Change oil once a year.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the instrument cluster oil change reminder, I don't think that reminder stickers are necessary any longer. The rear pages in the owners manual are for keeping maintenance logs. I usually include the date and mileage of services performed for my records.
With the 6000 mile oil change, the tires should also be rotated at every oil change. Rotation used to be every-other oil change when the service interval was 3000 miles.
z

Tire rotation is not as big an issue for me, as I replaced the factory all seasons with some nice All Weather Tires, (they are snow rated 3 peak and snow flake) but can be left on year round, at Discount tire, so with the warranty I get free life time tire rotations.

Old habits that give us "comfort" are difficult to abandon. As many have said modern oil technology coupled with emission and engine technology have allowed longer operational intervals on motor oil before needing replacement.

I have questioned longer drain intervals on engine oil and wondered if the oil additives were being depleted. One procedure that you can accomplish and get valid answers to your concerns is to send an oil drain sample to a testing facility for analysis. One that I have used is Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne, IN. website: Blackstone Labs (at https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ ) Go to the website and read lots of good information.

This testing facility will send you an oil sample kit along with instructions. You return the sample to the facility and in 5 - 10 days you will get an email response with analysis. Standard analysis is $28.00. Since you are concerned about oil life ask for the additional test of TBN (total base number) which is an additional $10.00 fee. That will give an indication of additive life remaining in the oil. I think you will be surprised by the results and realize that with today's engines and oils these extended oil change intervals are solid and valid.
I will have to look into that! thanks for the suggestion, you are so right about old habits.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Keep in mind that the "rough service" oil change schedule equals the way most folks use their vehicles!

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keep in mind that the "rough service" oil change schedule equals the way most folks use their vehicles!
According to everything I have read and watched on the topic that is not true, that is what the oil change places claim but it is not what they manufacturers etc claim that. I watched an hour long program on it on CBC on you tube, where they even had expert mechanics and oil labs testing the oil. And my climate is by no means an "extreme" climate.

Reactions: Tony K
1 - 20 of 49 Posts