Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://wot.motortrend.com/corvette-beware-srt-viper-acr-may-debut-in-calendar-year-2014-332275.html

The interesting part is the following:
What about power? That one’s tricky. The last Viper ACR did not feature a power increase, but more than that, we hear there are office politics at work that could keep the ACR tamed. Gilles has remarked in the past that the new Viper wasn’t allowed to exceed the power-to-weight ratio of the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, so both cars carry 5.2 pounds per horsepower.
Did they misquote Gilles? I don't remember him saying that, but I could've missed it.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I don't remember that either. I do recall Sergio saying at one point that Ferrari would have to stand on it's own laurels and would not artificially hold back the Viper.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I remembered. Hmm...

·
Registered
735 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
https://wot.motortrend.com/corvette-beware-srt-viper-acr-may-debut-in-calendar-year-2014-332275.html

The interesting part is the following:
Did they misquote Gilles? I don't remember him saying that, but I could've missed it.
This rumor comes from a tongue-in-cheek remark Gilles made during the unveiling. The only thing the Viper really NEEDs is optional Trofeo R-compound tires. The P-Zero's are great all-around performance tires, but they don't offer near the grip of a Michellin PSC.

·
3,813 Posts
Gilles and Sergio have both stated that the Viper program is not affected by Ferrari or what they do and that Ferrari stands on its own. Plus, I don't think anyone is cross-shopping the two.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Only in the "spiritual" sense does the Viper conflict with Ferrari.

The original Viper (like original Shelby vehicles in general) was a middle finger salute to the European sports car establishment. Now that the two are under the same leadership, the new Viper message might need to be a bit attenuated considering the reality of politics.

I hate politics....

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
romalerig said:
Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's Motor Trend guys !!!!!!!!!!! Don't tell me you trust it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ralph is denying this on twitter fyi

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good. It was reported on Autoblog as well, referencing the MotorTrend article. I just wasn't sure.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
Good. It was reported on Autoblog as well, referencing the MotorTrend article. I just wasn't sure.
Niether source has a good track record. I remember quite a few articles by Autoblog that stated the Dart was gonna be based on the Fiat 500!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Pretty dumb if it were true, but I think you'd have to be dumb to believe it. The 2010 Viper ACR beats every Ferrari on every racetrack of significance, so why would anyone think Ferrari would care now? They're already not ahead of the Viper, other than in a straight line.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Pffft.

Non-issue. the last ACR didn't get a power boost, and it was phenomenal. The new ACR may or may not get a power boost, and it will certainly be just as, if not lots more phenomenal. I would be fairly suprised, actually, if it did get a power boost. Are there any contacts at Pirelli around here? Could some of the wait for the ACR, and the upcoming F70/150 from Ferrari, be tied to development of a new Pirelli tire that could beat or exceed the Miche's PSC's?

·
3,813 Posts
Could be... they were just developing a proprietary tire for the Mclaren P1 or whatever it will be called... I dont' see why they couldn't up their game for the ACR as well.

That being said... the treadware rating on the current Viper tires is already astonishingly low for a non R-Compound tire... and lower than the equivalent Michelin. Really, noone is making better tires than Michelin right now..

·
Registered
735 Posts
JRS200x said:
Could be... they were just developing a proprietary tire for the Mclaren P1 or whatever it will be called... I dont' see why they couldn't up their game for the ACR as well.

That being said... the treadware rating on the current Viper tires is already astonishingly low for a non R-Compound tire... and lower than the equivalent Michelin. Really, noone is making better tires than Michelin right now..
Treadwear ratings are arbitrary... each tire company chooses a tire to call "500" and all other tires they produce are based on that. Besides, P-zero corsas make compromises to dry traction to have better wet weather performance.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
kdaviper said:
Treadwear ratings are arbitrary... each tire company chooses a tire to call "500" and all other tires they produce are based on that. Besides, P-zero corsas make compromises to dry traction to have better wet weather performance.
They are not arbitrary. There is a tire standard produced by the ASTM, and manufacturers test their tires relative to that one.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the tire companies perform their own testing, and are not sufficiently policed about their testing, and their methods, and how the numbers are calculated. As a person who has conducted very stringent, third party, tests, I will tell you, people will cheat on these things all day long if you let them. Especially anytime the marketing department gets involved.

My experience is with power quality, and not tires, but there are parallels as far as the testing is concerned. If I had wanted, I could have designed my tests to generate the required data, and made things pass successfully, even though things were not up to snuff. Unless there is stringent, monitoring, by reputable third party elements, tread wear is meaningless when comparing one company's tires to another.

There are just too many variables to overcome unless the tests are apples to apples. Even if they use an ASTM standard, there needs to be more in common between the tests to make the tread wear numbers mean anything other than comparing one tire to another within a single tire maker.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Honestly, I can't imagine a CEO of a international company purposefully holding back the Viper. Gilles did make an off-the-cuff remark about not surpassing Ferrari.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dakrt99 said:
Honestly, I can't imagine a CEO of a international company purposefully holding back the Viper. Gilles did make an off-the-cuff remark about not surpassing Ferrari.
Sadly, it wouldn't be the first time that an owner of Chrysler kibosh'd or restricted a vehicle due to other vehicles "in the family".
http://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts