Allpar Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
As far as I have read profitibility has still been an isssue with EVs. Great to have fantastic products but you still have to make money. Everyone assumes scale will solve this and it probably will. But a lot of these investments seem bets to me...
Right now, for many manufacturers (except GM and Tesla who have exceeded the sale limits), the federal $7500 tax credit helps with sales (or leases). This allows the manufacturer to charge more for the car than the end user pays - offsetting some of the increased costs. I know there are discussions with extending the credit - but that's a lot of incentive to pry people from gas to electrics and the results aren't huge yet. I think many people expect their future electric car should be less expensive than a gas one.

I would expect it to be a little more, but with much better acceleration than I could get from a normal engine... e.g. I pay $6,000 more but I get the equivalent of a V8 upgrade.

For the record, I oppose extending the $7500 credit and I opposed its creation in the first place, along with the crusher bill... in case anyone wondered.

Chrysler used to be known as an industry leader and innovator. Now they're just late to the party on everything. They'll show up with electric vehicles after they're too late to cut out any market share.

The fact that Wagoneer isn't launching with ANY EV powertrains is just lunacy.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here. But I think in Germany EV MSRPs are usually listed with the rebate already included?

The 42kW Fiat 500e would then be around 38560 Euros (web site lists it at 29560 Euros). Subtract the VAT and convert it to dollars and you are at $37k. How does that make any sense? Granted, if the rebate has not been included already and the discounted price is $20k (without VAT) the prices make more sense.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.