Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New carb.,new alternator, new battery.....i got it to start when i replaced the previously mentioned part.....it started right up let idle for about 15 minutes......seen gas leak turned it off. Fixed leak when i went to start it it made no noise .....after a couple trys i got a click noise then back to nothing.....anyone got advice plz help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.
If it cranked and started once but won't now, then it sounds like something has failed or there is a poor (high resistance) connection.
Begin at the battery posts and follow the circuit to where it 'opens'. All connections must be clean and tight. Corrosion can hide under a connection (like between the battery post and terminal) so take connections apart to look. It may look fine from the outside.
A poor connection will generate heat, especially if it handles a high current, like a starter. Are the headlamps bright? Do they dim when trying to start?
I can't open your attachment.
Is this a 12 volt conversion? What tests have you done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent done no tests.....this is my first project...............there is no bulb in head lamp...,so i nt know..,,,,,i was thinking ignition switch but i dont no how to test.....maybe starter

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
If the headlights don't come on, you have a bad wire from the battery, meaning it is dirty, etc., just like what Imperial Crown talked about. Headlights are a good indication of this, it is wired to direct power and will work if there is a good battery connection and won't if that is the problem, every time on a '46.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Moving to tech support...

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
The fact that it shows you replaced the alternator tells us that it has probably been changed to 12V. Originally this was a positive ground 6V car and a conversion requires some additional changes to complete the changeover. Are you negative ground now? No headlights bulb indicates that this project is quite a way from done and do you have any lights that are workable?. What engine do you have? Do you have a starter relay in this system? Do you know if the battery has a good charge in it? There is not a lot of information given to help you diagnose your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put new batery cables....theres head lights not interior lamp......i know t in e battrty is charged.......lie i said it wo ii ld turn ovet and started but t jk en it started not turning m akin a noise instead then u turn off key and try agian a few times it would turb over now nothing
As for engine everything is original

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Try jumping directly at the starter, the bendix may be stuck.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
OK. If everything is original, you probably have a generator and not an alternator. You also should be 6V negative ground. Starter circuit is very basic. One solenoid (two heavy terminals and one small terminal. Battery should have the positive post going to ground and the negative post to the starter solenoid. That terminal should also have the wires going to the rest of the body attached at that point. The small terminal should be attached to the start terminal of either the ignition switch or button depending which you have. The other large terminal is connected to the starter. Make sure that the bolts mounting the solenoid make a good ground connection or the solenoid will not work. The starter is of the "Bendix drive" style and if you start cranking it, the drive will go to the engaged position and stay there until the engine starts. Being engaged while the engine is stopped is not a problem. It will disengage as soon as the engine fires up. You can jump from the battery side terminal to the small terminal to bypass all the starter wiring on the body side and engage the starter. (BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, MAKE SURE YOUR VEHICLE IS IN NEUTRAL!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts