Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was sitting still and gave my engine a little rev because it likes to idle low when the ac is on. A puff of white smoke came out near the compressor. The belt is tight . It blew hot air during the smoke but i went home and when i left i tried it and have cold air.

I just dont want all of the freon i put in to leak out.

I am getting it looked at in the morning 90 here for temp. Should i just skip the cost of tomorrow and get a new compressor or is this a common thing?

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The compressor may be fine. You mght have seen a puff of refrigerant if the high side pressure got too high. There is a high pressure relief valve on the compressor that will exhaust excess pressure. It usually makes a horrible noise when this happens.
The reasons for excessive pressure are that either the radiator/cooling cooling fan is not working or the freon is overcharged. The radiator/condenser cooling fan isn't as critical when you are going down the road with air blowing through the condenser, but the fan is needed when the vehicle is at a stop. Also a restriction in the plumbing or over-oiling can cause this.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a summit fan that is ten times better than the stock one. More air flow and lower amp. Do you think i need a charge after the blow off? The fan always turns on the second i hit the ac button.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
We would need to know the high side and low side pressures to determine if the charge was sufficient or the high side was too high.
The safety valve should blow off around 350+ psi?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the low side fitting is bad. I do remember them saying this last time. Dodge cant order a new one because they dont make it anymore. Any idea where i can get one? New if possible. The high side was fine. The also said my fan shroud should completely cover the radiator . It is a stock shroud with a better fan in it so i am not sure where they got that idea from.

I am going to put some aluminum over the open part because it does suck engine air in . The thing is if it did suck engine air it does not go through the radiator . The only concern would be wasted energy not getting a closed system to pull the air through the radiator. My car actually runs cooler than it should with my summit fan and aluminum radiator. 160 at the thermostat housing with a IR thermometer. 195 new thermostat installed.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Was there any squealing from the clutch? I think that a high-side discharge would be very noticeably loud considering the pressures in the system, somwewhere in the 300 psi region... if you've ever drained an air compressor, you know how loud those can be and those only run at about 150 psi. There is a higher volume of air in that example, but it wouldn't have been something I would describe as a "puff" regardless. Refrigerant also sometimes leaves the compressor lube oil behind as it exits, leaving tell-tale oil spots. If the A/C clutch is slipping, though, perhaps from oil on the plates from a weeping shaft seal, you could get smoke under certain conditions.
Make sure your condenser is clean, too. The condenser is mounted in front of the radiator, so it gets the brunt of the rock and insect accumulation. The fins on the condenser are also tiny compared to the ones on the radiator, so stuff will get stuck in there much more readily, reducing the surface area of the condenser and its performance. You may be able to straighten some of the fins if they are badly bent, but beware that they are rather sharp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts