Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on vacation in Toronto I decided to bring my Challenger for one reason: to pose it in front of the Brampton plant to (I know this may sound silly, but hey it's Allpar) celebrate where my car was made. So here it is, my car coming all the way from suburban Washington DC now cruising down Williams Parkway
http://s782.photobucket.com/user/artsybob/media/Toronto%202013/P1060347.jpg.html

Other observations i made about visiting Ontario:

1) I saw only three other Challengers in its home province: One on the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway near Kingston, one in downtown Toronto, and one on the QEW near Hamilton. Then it dawned on me that being RWD doesn't make it very suitable for Canadian winters
2) It seemed like every fifth car was a Dodge Grand Caravan. There was at least one in every parking lot we were at
3) Tim Horton's is everywhere, including one right next to my hotel and one right next to Niagara Falls, and
4) As a Washington DC area native, I was amused to see a Five Guys right there in Brampton. It's funny to see our our own homegrown restaurant chains have even infiltrated Canada

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Maybe all the Challengers were sold here in the states? As long as you're enjoying your vacation, it doesn't matter what anyone else may think. I think it's a cool idea!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
artsybob said:
While on vacation in Toronto I decided to bring my Challenger for one reason: to pose it in front of the Brampton plant to (I know this may sound silly, but hey it's Allpar) celebrate where my car was made. So here it is, my car coming all the way from suburban Washington DC now cruising down Williams Parkway
http://s782.photobucket.com/user/artsybob/media/Toronto%202013/P1060347.jpg.html

1) I saw only three other Challengers in its home province: One on the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway near Kingston, one in downtown Toronto, and one on the QEW near Hamilton. Then it dawned on me that being RWD doesn't make it very suitable for Canadian winters- I don't know about Ontario, but there are lots of Challengers here in Manitoba and we get worse winters than southern Ontario......
2) It seemed like every fifth car was a Dodge Grand Caravan. There was at least one in every parking lot we were at- Absolutely.....Rams,Grand Caravans are everywhere.
3) Tim Horton's is everywhere, including one right next to my hotel and one right next to Niagara Falls- Did you stay in a hotel in Niagara Falls?
4) As a Washington DC area native, I was amused to see a Five Guys right there in Brampton. It's funny to see our our own homegrown restaurant chains have even infiltrated Canada- The first in Canada I believe opened in my city, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Nice photo op for sure. :thumbsup: Hope your vacation was fun!!!

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
The funny thing is I was just there but due to timing missed Brampton! We spent too much time getting to Guelph to visit Wellington Motors, and my kids wanted to hit the Ontario Science Center before it closed. I wish I'd timed thi8ngs better.

Tim Horton's is everywhere. Donuts better than Dunkin' but "real foods" could use work ;)

Dang, things are expensive in Toronto. Crazy pricing except for the ferry.

I saw almost no LX cars but a lot of other Mopars and far fewer imports.

Was it just me or is every German car driver in Toronto and vicinity insane?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pug-man said:

1) I saw only three other Challengers in its home province: One on the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway near Kingston, one in downtown Toronto, and one on the QEW near Hamilton. Then it dawned on me that being RWD doesn't make it very suitable for Canadian winters- I don't know about Ontario, but there are lots of Challengers here in Manitoba and we get worse winters than southern Ontario......
2) It seemed like every fifth car was a Dodge Grand Caravan. There was at least one in every parking lot we were at- Absolutely.....Rams,Grand Caravans are everywhere.
3) Tim Horton's is everywhere, including one right next to my hotel and one right next to Niagara Falls- Did you stay in a hotel in Niagara Falls?
4) As a Washington DC area native, I was amused to see a Five Guys right there in Brampton. It's funny to see our our own homegrown restaurant chains have even infiltrated Canada- The first in Canada I believe opened in my city, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Nice photo op for sure. :thumbsup: Hope your vacation was fun!!!

I had lots of fun! I need to go back again since it's impossible to see everything in Toronto in just one trip. I stayed at a hotel right near Toronto Pearson Airport which was technically in Toronto but was a stone's throw from Mississauga. While up in Canada, I made it a point to try some poutine while I was up there. Glad I spent that whole day walking around downtown because who knows how much calories was in it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave said:
The funny thing is I was just there but due to timing missed Brampton! We spent too much time getting to Guelph to visit Wellington Motors, and my kids wanted to hit the Ontario Science Center before it closed. I wish I'd timed thi8ngs better.

Tim Horton's is everywhere. Donuts better than Dunkin' but "real foods" could use work ;)

You're definitely right about things being expensive in Toronto! I think it was something like $96 for my dad, my brother and I to go to the top of the CN Tower. It was also $46 for the three of us to enter the Royal Ontario Museum and that was on my brother's student discount. How was the Ontario Science Center? The Royal Ontario Museum was fun; to a DC area person like me it was like all the Smithsonian museums crammed into one. Funny thing when I was up there was that I saw more Chargers and 300's on the road than Challengers. But still, nowhere near the amount of Grand Caravans, Ram pickups and Chrysler 200's I saw. The last time I saw that many Mopar cars in a parking lot was the hotel I stayed at for Carlisle. That's not surprising to hear about German car divers, they're horrible drivers here in DC.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I did the same thing when I went up to Brampton in 2009. I got a personal tour of the plant from one of the guys who works there. It was cool seeing the Charger's, 300's, and Challenger's go from rolls of steel to the finished product. I'll never forget that trip. Also when to the Chrysler headquarters and the Walter P Chrysler Museum too.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Dave said:

Hey that means you were close by here - I'm just outside of Guelph - ordered my Challenger through Wellington. Just curious - what was the attraction to see at Wellington Motors?
Been to a few shows at the Brampton plant few years ago but never been inside. 3 out of 6 vehicles in our driveway made there including my die hard '95 Intrepid beater.
Yes Canada the land of the inflated and higher taxes. :(
The minivan and the ram are I think 2 of the 5 top sellers in Canada - certainly #1 and #2 for Mopar as I recall.
There are quite a few Chargers around of various model years - but I agree not so many Challengers - less practical I guess. My Charger is not bad in the snow as long as you leave the traction control on - turn it off and it becomes more fun than the intrepid but not as stable for sure.
Surprised you say fewer imports... too many for my liking.
Lots of insane drivers in Toronto area period - really have to watch it on the bike - and lots of bimmers, audi's and VWs - bimmers were the yuppy car for many years - now shifting to Audi's and Mercedes - there are quite a few German (and European) heritage people around these parts too (me included - but never cared for their cars - I find they lack creative styling).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts