Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got back from a trip to Florida and my left rear tire started making a slight vibration. Assuming that it was a wheel weight that fell off on my return from Florida, I went in had my tires rotated, and sure enough the tire on the rear that was making the noise that was rotated to the passenger front made the same noise.
So I figured it was the wheel weight, so I had that one tire rebalanced...well that tire quit making the noise, but now my front drivers side tire is making the same noise.

The service department attendant tried to make the claim the issue was a wheel bearing problem...I don't think that is the issue. It doesn't sound like a bad wheel bearing, and bad wheel bearings don't magically jump from wheel hub to wheel hub...I think they just want to charge me more money for a problem that doesn't exist. o_O

So should I balance the other 3 tires, and see if that solves the issue or let the dealership look at it again?
I don't get my Dart's tires rotated or balanced at the dealership, as the CDJR dealership charges through the nose for those services...I get those done at either Wal-Mart TLE or a local tire place in town.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
If it's a similar vibration as the LR tire, then it wouldn't hurt to have the remaining tires balanced. Just an FYI - in my 40 years of driving I've never had a wheel weight fall off. If the vibration remains then further investigation will be needed.

Wheel bearings typically "growl" when they've worn out.

·
Super Moderator
32,661 Posts
I would have the other tires balanced.

Why are you cross-rotating the tires? On FWD cars, you are supposed to rotate front to back only, keeping them on the same side; unless you have a full-size spare to rotate into the mix, which never came with Dart.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will say bad wheel bearings are a common issue with the Dart, it could be coincidental. I had 3 go bad in mine. I would definitely have all the tires balanced before you do anything though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have the other tires balanced.

Why are you cross-rotating the tires? On FWD cars, you are supposed to rotate front to back only, keeping them on the same side; unless you have a full-size spare to rotate into the mix, which never came with Dart.
The dealership did that...I had a free tire rotation coupon. One assumes they are the experts, but apparently they are not.

I will say bad wheel bearings are a common issue with the Dart, it could be coincidental. I had 3 go bad in mine. I would definitely have all the tires balanced before you do anything though.
Oh great...that's lovely :confused:...good to know, though. I was thinking as the service tech was telling me it might be a bad wheel bearing that there is no way a 2016 car with only 32,000 miles could have a bad wheel bearing. Guess they know all about that issue with the Darts...

Wheel bearings typically "growl" when they've worn out.
It doesn't sound like a growl...it's def a slight vibration...it's more prominent between 10-40 mph and 80 mph +...above 80 mph it's more pronounced...you can feel it in the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
38,725 Posts
There was a TSB for vibrations that involved the software in the electronic steering pump. I think it was for earlier model years though.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep- I had the wheel vibration at 70mph and after countless wheel balances and front end alignments it was just a software fix- I wan't so pleased about wasting my time all those months before that TSB was issued. I had 3 wheel bearings go out. 2 on the front passenger and 1 on the front driver. Two of them just started making noise. One busted because I hit a pothole. I've read others have had rear bearings go out too. I had a rear noise that they couldn't figure out that I am quite sure was a bearing going bad too but I ended up just getting rid of the car. Get prepared to spent a lot of time repairing things earlier than you would think with the Dart. I have to look but I'm pretty sure my first bearing went bad under 30K miles. I had front struts replaced too and motor and transmission mounts went bad at about 60K miles.

·
Super Moderator
32,661 Posts
I guess I'll give up my dream of owning even a used Dart...

·
Super Moderator
32,661 Posts
The dealership did that...I had a free tire rotation coupon. One assumes they are the experts, but apparently they are not.

Oh great...that's lovely :confused:...good to know, though. I was thinking as the service tech was telling me it might be a bad wheel bearing that there is no way a 2016 car with only 32,000 miles could have a bad wheel bearing. Guess they know all about that issue with the Darts...

It doesn't sound like a growl...it's def a slight vibration...it's more prominent between 10-40 mph and 80 mph +...above 80 mph it's more pronounced...you can feel it in the steering wheel.
Probably not the case here, but some cars come with directional tires. They can be ruined as well as the ride quality affected if they are switched to the other side of the car.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yep- I had the wheel vibration at 70mph and after countless wheel balances and front end alignments it was just a software fix- I wan't so pleased about wasting my time all those months before that TSB was issued. I had 3 wheel bearings go out. 2 on the front passenger and 1 on the front driver. Two of them just started making noise. One busted because I hit a pothole. I've read others have had rear bearings go out too. I had a rear noise that they couldn't figure out that I am quite sure was a bearing going bad too but I ended up just getting rid of the car. Get prepared to spent a lot of time repairing things earlier than you would think with the Dart. I have to look but I'm pretty sure my first bearing went bad under 30K miles. I had front struts replaced too and motor and transmission mounts went bad at about 60K miles.
That's what I can't decide, whether to throw in the $30 to get the other 3 tires balanced or just get them to do a thorough check on the wheel bearings / see if it is a software issue?
Since my car is still under warranty, I don't want to spend unnecessary funds if I don't need to. But I'm not 100% trustworthy of either CDJR dealership I have taken my Dart. Both have been shady at times.
Edit: Both dealerships have tried to claim issues with my Dart were not part of the Warranty when they clearly were...and only when going above them they instantly reversed themselves.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I guess I'll give up my dream of owning even a used Dart...
Thankful I only sat in a Dart with a sunroof before buying my Saturn. With the sunroof I couldn't find a way to get a good seating position that didn't involve my head hitting the roof. After I bought my Saturn, I sat in one while my DGC was getting serviced, and without the sunroof it was much better. Up until sitting in the Dart with a sunroof I had been seriously looking at buying one. Seems like I dodged a bullet with that one.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went and had the other 3 tires balanced yesterday, the vibration isn't as bad, but I can still feel it when getting up to speed and decelerating. I pushed it on the interstate and the steering wheel vibration was much less noticeable than it was before at 75+ MPH.
Something still doesn't feel right, as the car ran smooth as silk "suspension/tire wise" before my Florida trip.
I guess ill take it back to the CDJR dealership next week, and let them check the wheel bearings, suspension, and even the lugs.
(This got me perplexed o_O)

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
At this point I would suspect the suspension (struts/shocks). I don't see where you stated its mileage, but there is a possibility they're are worn just enough to allow a small vibration.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At this point I would suspect the suspension (struts/shocks). I don't see where you stated its mileage, but there is a possibility they're are worn just enough to allow a small vibration.
I think I posted that in my second post, the car only got 32,000 and some change on it.
That's either bad design or cheap a$$ materials, if things like that are getting worn out on a 2016, with only 32,000 miles...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you value your money at all you will get out of this car before the 3/36 runs out. Do not make the mistake of thinking these are teething issues and are that classic mopar experience of changing a part or two during warranty and driving another 100k relatively trouble-free. The problems with Darts aren't going to stop-- and in a couple years, parts are going to be unobtainable.

I could not source spark plugs locally, and even Amazon Prime quoted a month's lead time for them. This, and the high insurance rates have me feel like the Dart's future parts availability is going to be challenging.

My 2015 is starting to have minor system and major parts failures at just over 40k miles. Windshield washer pump burned out this week. Shocks badly worn. Noisy suspension. Bad engine mounts. Turbo whine on cold starts and reduced turbo functionality(IE: impending turbo failure) at speed. Paint bubbles in 4 places. Trim buzzes. Clutch slip/skipping.

It even makes that valvey sound like a diesel when I pull away from a stop.

I like the car and have a love/hate relationship with her. It's apparent what they wanted the car to be when they designed it-- and it's brilliant. The execution is so far removed from that original intent that it causes me dissonance and anger.
I have been seriously considering a max care plan extended warranty for my car just in case it starts having chronic issues.

You hear some people say they have put 100,000 miles on their Dart and its been trouble free n' others say their Dart has been a POS and they have had multiple suspension/wheel bearing/motor mount issues.

I mean other than the possessed trunk popping open whenever it felt like it, and the recall on the windshield wiper motor recall (that they have yet to get parts in for to fix yet) my Dart has been trouble free up to this point.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Got my 2016 Dart SXT, 2.0L/automatic, about 8 months ago. Had 38K miles, and within a few days will hit 50k miles. Zero problems with the car and no regrets. Low to mid 30s for winter MPG, and about 38-39 MPG in good weather, with most of the miles highway miles.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my 2016 Dart SXT, 2.0L/automatic, about 8 months ago. Had 38K miles, and within a few days will hit 50k miles. Zero problems with the car and no regrets. Low to mid 30s for winter MPG, and about 38-39 MPG in good weather, with most of the miles highway miles.
For the most part mine hasn't been bad, but it just has had minor annoying issues...the trunk, trim pieces missing, and the current issue with the tires...

Those MPG's on a Dart GT? LMAO, I don't really believe that. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts