Allpar Forums banner

My first 5th avenue

667 6
So I bought a 1987 Chrysler fifth avenue from my little brother and was told we would have to do a radiator flush due to a little rust in the radiator, I have stopped driving the car since opening the radiator cap, and seeing the rust is worse than I could imagine, the engine is over all fairly clean, I’m no professional mechanic but I’m by far no dummy, I watched a few videos on YouTube about flushing the radiator and heater core and even the block, is this worth doing? Could I save the 318 that’s in the car? Please help me out, I have a new love for the classic, sports, and muscle cars, and I’m trying to learn all I can and build a good car, thanks

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,020 Posts
The engine block will very likely be fine after a good flush. The radiator may need replaced, they get scaled up and may not flush that well. I’d not worry too much about the heater core, other than removing the hoses to it and flushing it both ways. If it’s too scaled up, heat may be weak in winter.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
16,960 Posts
Agree. Soft sediment can be rinsed out. Hard sediment or scale may require component replacement and/or deeper levels of service. At 35 years-old, I would evaluate the entire car for maintenance & safety issues.
Always diagnose first.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
16,960 Posts
An airbag system would have been added. Check for air leaks with a spray bottle of soapy water.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
155 Posts
Post some pictures of the car! I was just looking at a nice red 87 for sale on market place this weekend. The red on red interiors are my favorite of all time.
Good luck refreshing it up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts