Allpar Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Found the gears online and have them ordered. Hopefully they will be here soon. Went to the junkyard today and got a spedometer to practice taking appart but the problem is the one I picked up is very different than the one I have. The face and needle look the same but it has different internal parts. Not a problem though since I pulled out the speedometer that is in my car now and just by looking at it and from watching the video on odometergears.com a few times I am confident I understand how to take it appart and get the gears replaced. I also found a EVA module in an older new yorker. Would love to install that in my car but I am worried I would damage something so I think I will just figure out how to wire it up to play the voice prompts without having it in the car.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
EVA would require a fair bit of wiring if it's even possible. The EVIC out of a 90's New Yorker, Imperial, or Fifth would be a little easier to install; though it would still require a little bit of work to wire up (depending on how much of the supporting hardware you wanted). Neither should really be tried without wiring diagrams.

The good thing about the EVIC option would be the overhead console being a direct swap with the existing one, because they're already designed for this body style.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
EVA would require a fair bit of wiring if it's even possible. The EVIC out of a 90's New Yorker, Imperial, or Fifth would be a little easier to install; though it would still require a little bit of work to wire up (depending on how much of the supporting hardware you wanted). Neither should really be tried without wiring diagrams.

The good thing about the EVIC option would be the overhead console being a direct swap with the existing one, because they're already designed for this body style.
Thats what I was thinking and after that dash replacement I don't even want to begin figuring out what those wires in that wring harness go to. I actually kind of like having the pocket near the map lights so I can store my sunglasses in there so I think I will just leave as it is. I do plan to see about playing around with the EVA unit (not installing it in a car) and just seeing if I can get it to talk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I finished replacing the gears in the odometer and everything works great except the trip counter reset lever. For some reason the thing will only reset when you push it really hard and then when it does it makes a loud click. Any ideas what could be causing this? The numbers count the miles perfectly it is just the reset that is giving me an issue. Proboly have to open the cluster up again and look around (After all the work I have done I believe I have become a master at removing the stuff in that dash haha)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think I got the reset problem figured out. Turns out there is this little metal clip that keeps the button up so that it does not reset when you hit a bump and when I did my odometer gear replacement I must have pushed on it and bent it a little bit so I just bent it out a slight amount and now it resets smoothly with no loud click.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts