Allpar Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Many of this generation Dakota had the in-radiator cooler and a separate transmission cooler in front of the radiator as well. I've had several of them.
I checked today no trans cooler going to add one to it later this year those help so much the with the longevity. I dont tow anything but with the extra power and Texas heat I am sure it could use one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wanted to update and name drop.
Nick the owner of Airram performance spent an hour talking with me today. He is the 4.7 guru! If yall need any 4.7 parts he should be the first stop! With that said my next mod for this 4.7 dakota I own is going to be 4.56 gears. He said it is the best mod for the money. He also told me that the y pipe is the most restrictive part of the engine and replacing it sees large gains.
So after that 2008+ 4.7 camshafts will be going in. I am on my way to making this a Chevy and Ford eater! Stay tuned I will have pictures and results in this thread soon.

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
I had a 2008 Dakota with the much more powerful 4.7. When I had to put a new catalytic converter on it, they sent the assembly for a 2005-2007. My y-pipe converter assembly pipe diameter was huge compared to the earlier one.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Wanted to update and name drop.
Nick the owner of Airram performance spent an hour talking with me today. He is the 4.7 guru! If yall need any 4.7 parts he should be the first stop! With that said my next mod for this 4.7 dakota I own is going to be 4.56 gears. He said it is the best mod for the money. He also told me that the y pipe is the most restrictive part of the engine and replacing it sees large gains.
So after that 2008+ 4.7 camshafts will be going in. I am on my way to making this a Chevy and Ford eater! Stay tuned I will have pictures and results in this thread soon.
Yes I have replaced that restrictive Y-pipe on a few trucks I've owned. Will be doing it to my current one too and would have done it sooner but this 6.4 is so awesome as it is. The 1995 Dodge Truck we had, did High flow cats, Y-pipe and flowmaster... was blown away at what it did to that 318.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes I have replaced that restrictive Y-pipe on a few trucks I've owned. Will be doing it to my current one too and would have done it sooner but this 6.4 is so awesome as it is. The 1995 Dodge Truck we had, did High flow cats, Y-pipe and flowmaster... was blown away at what it did to that 318.
That is awesome because I planned on doing the high flow cat and y pipe on my truck as well. Cant wait to see the results!

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
On the old 5.2 and 3.9 magnum engines, the 1992-1993 version had larger manifolds and piping, plus a "better" cam.
The claim was the 1994+ versions had better low end torque. But my guess was the new setup was cheaper.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well ordered my 4.10 gears today, everyone in the performance world talked me into gears said it would be the best modification I ever do to my truck.
HO cams are getting ordered in November going to make this thing quick at dragstrip if everything comes together!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i understand this thread is about Panterasr9's Dakota, love the enthusiasm.
i asked on another forum if anyone else recalls a news item from earlier this year that fca had refreshed the rights to the Dakota. anyone? my 99 is getting long in the tooth. didnt like boxiness of 2006+.
mine is a baby ram!

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
i understand this thread is about Panterasr9's Dakota, love the enthusiasm.
i asked on another forum if anyone else recalls a news item from earlier this year that fca had refreshed the rights to the Dakota. anyone? my 99 is getting long in the tooth. didnt like boxiness of 2006+.
mine is a baby ram!
The trademark for Dakota was filed. Doesn’t mean the truck is or is not coming.

Reactions: chcharlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
The trademark for Dakota was filed. Doesn’t mean the truck is or is not coming.
darn, was hoping 4 more positive news. tnx 4 ur thots on this. at least u answered my Q about trademark. in my dotage i forgot what was filed for.
i could wonder why fca would file this if not intending to use but remind myself that this is fca, after all.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Update got some new parts and I have to say it looks great. 4.10s are finally going to be installed next week but today I did a cosmetic mod. Truck looks brand new amazing what new headlights and foglights do.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,188 Posts
Nice! I love to see older Mopars maintained and upgraded.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Update gears are in breaking them in this week. Covid had me pretty sick but I am fully recovered and back to work! Let y'all know how it does 0 to 60 once broken in.
Also damnit gears are expensive lol.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So far 7.5 second 0 to 60 so with all my mods I shaved of .70 of a second. Now I will run it down the quarter mile next.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

2 hour detail today. Cleaner than the day I bought it for sure. I am loving the 4.10 gears but already planning next mods. Traction has become an issue so looking at putting 315 width tires on the rear. Going to replace the mechanical fan with an electric one. Then replace the restrictive factory y pipe with a 3 inch y pipe. Get some more power out of it ! Modifying is addicting this thing may have a Hemi or supercharger in it someday lol.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well not as fast as I had hoped but I got my reaction time down alot running a .121
I can tell I need better tires to go faster because my 60 ft time was slow.
That being said 15.7 for an old truck with high mileage ain't to bad. Next mod is 315 wide tires in the back and efan conversion. My goal is to get into the low 15's. Had a blast though and people at the strip loved the truck. I pulled 4 car lengths on the start from a newer z28 and newer 5.0 mustang. They were asleep at the tree ! That was funny to pull away from those cars. Granted they reeled me in and smoked me but still! They had a .6 and the mustang a .9 reaction to my .1 haha!

·
Registered
1999 Dakota, 2014 Grand Caravan
49 Posts
Just wanted to post my 2003 Dakota I just bought, so far I have put american racing wheels and a cold air intake on it along with the brand new hankook dynapro 2 tires ( really good tires ).
This thing hauls butt 3.55 gear rear diff and the 45rfe. This is so far my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. Future mods are a tuner and a flowmaster dual exhaust. Any suggestions on a tuner are welcome!
Hope it service you well...Ours was purchased new and has had no major problems to date! Outside of that paint (common) problems...Oh the power amplifier (Infinity) blew out, a common problem!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts