Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Kcar devotees /Masochists , back again .

The 84 Reliant 2.2 acted up again ,, the Driver says the Brakes got spongy & brake Lite became Illuminated -- Oh ~No!!

I checked the Master Cylinder Level and it was Very Low in Front Reservoir Cup /Division -but Rear Cup was OK .

The Last time We had a Low level like this was 3 Months ago.

Today , I checked the Front left line to caliper for Leaks , and grudgingly pulled the Right Rear Wheel/ brake Drum Off.

Refilled Reservoir, replaced caps. Had a Helper Step on the brakes while it was Running in PARK. Cleaned off the Dirty Rear Wheel cylinder

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
If the seal on the back of master cylinder is bad brake fluid can be sucked into the power brake booster by the vacuum. It may even end hip bread by the engine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valiant67 said:
If the seal on the back of master cylinder is bad brake fluid can be sucked into the power brake booster by the vacuum. It may even end hip bread by the engine.
Hmmm - I forgot about the Design of the master cylinder - "it may even end hip bread by the engine" - HUH??? Do you mean It may even end up consumed by the intake Manifold pressure/vacuum by the Engine????

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
Yes, stupid auto correct and me not catching it. The vacuum can draw it into the engine where it is consumed and burnt. If it is leaking at the rear of the master cylinder it can eventually deteriorate the [SIZE=10.5pt]diaphragm [/SIZE]in the booster or rot out the booster case causing a loss of power brake assist. Or you may notice that you sometimes hear a vacuum leak when pressing the brake pedal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts