Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 04 sebring platinum series convertible with a 2.7l. Did an oil change and the filter for an 04 doesn't fit on this engine. went back to 03 to 05 and none of those filters are the needed one. The filter that was on the engine was a Penzoil PZ19, Did find a filter that would work, but still don't know what year this engine is, and for future parts ordering kind of need to know. Was wondering if someone knows a way to find out the year motor. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
According to Penzoil's website the PZ19 is the proper filter for a 2004 2.7 equipped Sebring convertible or sedan.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
It should take the domestic corporate oil filter. Are you sure that they aren't confusing this with the Mitsubishi engine or the Mitsubishi/Sebring coupe? The Sebring sedan and convertible are domestic. Has the engine been changed?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So what brand of filters were you trying?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up going to Autozone and going thru the filters to find one that was the same size. I ended up getting the Mobil1 M1-209 filter. Don't know what it's for but it fit and works. The autozone and walmart book called for, as an example a Fram TG16 filter. That filter was to large in diameter and would not fit. I just ordered from Rock Auto the coolant air bleeder for the car, I ordered it for my year Sebring, When it comes in, if it doesn't fit I know for sure the engine isn't the one that came in the car. I am grateful for the help and the advice, will post what I find out. Thanks again

PS. I am going to check the Intrepid oil filter listing, could be I have that engine.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Again, PZ19 is Pennzoil's filter for a 2004 Sebring with a 2.7. I don't think there's any reason to suspect you have an Intrepid engine swapped into your car without more evidence.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Especially since in the Intrepid it's a N-S install and in the Sebring it's an E-W install - I would imagine there are enough differences to prevent a direct LH-to-JR swap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help and info. The mobil 1 filter was a cross reference with the penzoil filter that was on it, so it seems to be fine. I'm a little leary of these engines after reading some of the cooling and sludging issues. My engine seems to run good and strong. Just wondering with the known issues if the original blew up and was replaced. Either way the car is in awesome shape and runs well, Thanks again for the info and help

·
Registered
181 Posts
The sludging was supposedly fixed by then if I understand correctly.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
And always was much more of a problem in the cars with the 2.7 mounted longitudinally like the Intrepid than the cars with the 2.7 mounted transversely like the Sebring.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy Sh*t, What a pain in the a** this car is to work on. While I did the oil change I was going to replace the oil sending unit. I am to old and fat to be a contortionist and get that shield and press switch out, have to live with the oil light on at idle, now after starting it up with the car on stands, think the motor mount is shot, engine almost jumped out of the hood and also noticed a leak that k\looks like power steering fluid ?, still haven't got to the coolant air bleeder and plugs yet. Nothing on this car is easy to work on, I thought my PT GT was a pain, this is much worse. Might be selling in future, to hard for a fat old washed up backyard mechanic to work on

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. Just got the sebring up and on the road, drove it 1 day. So far, did engine oil flush, filled with mobil 1 synthetic, replaced oil sending unit, coolant air bleeder, changed the plugs with platinum's, new serpentine belt and a new air filter. Guess what. woke up this morning to find a puddle of oil under the car. If anyone wants to buy this car I am located in Ohio. It is a 2004 Sebring Touring Convertible, "Platinum Series" with 89,000 mi. $3000.00 or best offer. Don't trust it enough to let the wife and kids drive it. sticking with my old Jeep

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Can you tell where the leak is coming from? Is it engine oil?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's an oil leak, coming from the pan. The engine flush really cleaned it up, also synthetic oil probably didn't help either. Also suspect one of the motor mounts are bad. Also needs the passenger side outer tie rod end and upper ball joint. Working in the driveway in the weather and with no lift is difficult to say the least, not an easy car to work on in any condition. The car is a beautiful car, especially with the Platinum package, has every option Chrysler offered, original window sticker for this car was almost $30,000. Has 89,000 mi, going to post it for $3000.00. Bought it for my 16yr old son, but at this point don't trust it enough for him to drive it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seem to have gotten all the bugs worked out of the car. Been driving it today with the top down and enjoying fathers day. Wonder if someone could help me out again. The car runs and drives great, but at redlights when I am in drive with my foot on the brake for more than a minute or two, the car stalls out. Was wondering if there is an idle control sensor on it or not. Other than that all seems well. Thanks in advance for any help and advice

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Does the idle seem rough or low? Any fault codes?
May need to clean the throttle body bore and blade of carbon build up?
Correct and functioning PCV valve?
Check for vacuum leaks and hoses being all hooked up correctly? Was the intake off for plugs and coolant tube?
If the battery was disconnected, it should learn idle speed by sitting at idle. No idle adjustment.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Maybe the power check valve on the brake booster is losing vacuum?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the suggestions. I had the intake off to do the plugs and coolant air bleeder. I put new gaskets or O rings on and torqued it down to specs, also put a new battery in it Saturday. will see if I can pull codes doing the on-off key thing once my son gets home with the car, Will also clean the throttle body and replace the PCV valve. Car starts and runs great, no other problems. Will post what I find. Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts