Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I am fairly new to the forum and am putting together the plans to REBUILD the motor in my 2002 PT Cruiser.

I know I'll never have the same options and power as a Turbo/GT model but I do want to do all that I can to this motor to give it durability and more pep.

So far I've had some great suggestions from forum members in regards to the Syked Tuner that will work on this car and upgrading/grinding the Cams at Crower. I believe I also read that the 2.7L Dodge motor's rocker arms (which spit the oil on the roller - nice upgrade) fit in the 2.4? Can anyone confirm that?

I was wondering if there are suggestions on what to do/where to go to do a full rebuild on the motor and get things like improved valves, lifters, CNC porting, pistons, and other upgrades to the block.

I appreciate all the advice and help.

Shane

·
Registered
294 Posts
Why not get the complete turbo engine and controller, harness etc out of a PT Cruiser in a salvage yard?

Not sure where you are located but I've seen some turbo PT Cruisers at my local self service yard, looked at them and thought about pulling the engine and transmission (not sure if those transmissions are built to handle extra power).

This is at a yard in Gilbert, AZ

I'm not that interested in making my PT Cruiser fast, but seems like a way to do it.

You can get compete engines for pretty cheap, $200-400.00 but you pull it yourself.

I'm assuming these turbo engines are basically the same as the regular engines and fit and bolt in just the same, if not that could make things complicated.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
You would be much $$$$ ahead buying a nice PT Turbo to start with.

The Engine work mentioned alone could buy a nice one.

Thanks
Randy
And there are still some nice PT's out there to be found ;)

For instance, there is a member on PTCL wanting to sell his '03 Dream Cruiser 2. IMO, those are one of the most beautiful PT's ever built, gotta love that color!

This is not his PT, but this is what the DC2 is :)

Here is his for sale ad from PTCL:

Reactions: GLHS60

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts on the PT Turbos folks. While I have thought about this option I have a year invested already into this PT. Upgrading the motor to a Turbo would involve:
  1. Motor
  2. Transmission
  3. New front axles/suspension (correct me if I'm wrong)
  4. Wiring harness (engine and internal/dash)
  5. Computer

Probably a lot more besides. So then the question is why not just get a whole new PT. Well - as I said I am year into this 2002 PT already and I have already:

1. Rebuilt the interior adding gauges and a nice stereo system throughout
  2. Rebuilt the front and rear end suspension and steering
  3. Rebuilt the Transmission
  4. Swapped the original motor for another 2002 motor due to overheating damage on the original and general neglect and mistreatment
  5. Taken the dash down and replaced the Heater core and A/C accumulator along with every other component in the A/C system
  6. Replaced the Radiator

So - I have been going back and forth about what to do at this point. I know the motor in it is tired and needs some work/rebuild/replacement. Given what I have put into this car already and the attachment that has grown I do not want to get a whole new car at this point. Besides - a whole new car would come with a whole new set of unknowns and potential issues to fix. I now know my 2002 PT front to back and that certainly counts for something.

For these reasons I feel at this time I want to see what I can do rebuilding the head (maybe getting into the block) and doing upgrades to this N/A motor. That's not to say that I might not run into something or have to decide on a different route later. But that's how I plan to invest at this time.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts on the PT Turbos folks. While I have thought about this option I have a year invested already into this PT. Upgrading the motor to a Turbo would involve:
  1. Motor
  2. Transmission
  3. New front axles/suspension (correct me if I'm wrong)
  4. Wiring harness (engine and internal/dash)
  5. Computer

Probably a lot more besides. So then the question is why not just get a whole new PT. Well - as I said I am year into this 2002 PT already and I have already:

1. Rebuilt the interior adding gauges and a nice stereo system throughout
  2. Rebuilt the front and rear end suspension and steering
  3. Rebuilt the Transmission
  4. Swapped the original motor for another 2002 motor due to overheating damage on the original and general neglect and mistreatment
  5. Taken the dash down and replaced the Heater core and A/C accumulator along with every other component in the A/C system
  6. Replaced the Radiator

So - I have been going back and forth about what to do at this point. I know the motor in it is tired and needs some work/rebuild/replacement. Given what I have put into this car already and the attachment that has grown I do not want to get a whole new car at this point. Besides - a whole new car would come with a whole new set of unknowns and potential issues to fix. I now know my 2002 PT front to back and that certainly counts for something.

For these reasons I feel at this time I want to see what I can do rebuilding the head (maybe getting into the block) and doing upgrades to this N/A motor. That's not to say that I might not run into something or have to decide on a different route later. But that's how I plan to invest at this time.
I can understand how you may be "emotionally attached" to your PT :)

I have an app on my phone where I try to record everything related to my PT, this is the summary to date:

And this is not a complete record as I didn't have this app when I first purchased my PT, almost 15 years ago now, so the actual total I've spent to date on my PT would actually be higher :eek:

And I've never bought a used vehicle, I've always had new, I guess I'm afraid of getting someone else's troubles. ;)

This is the first vehicle that I've owned for this long. But I love my PT, it's never been in an accident, I know everything that's been done to it, and a few $ in occasional repairs beats a monthly payment on a new vehicle. :)

And I hate all the new technology put into new vehicles, just more expensive things to go wrong later :oops:

Reactions: GOMER

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
724 Posts

I have an app on my phone where I try to record everything related to my PT, this is the summary to date:

And this is not a complete record as I didn't have this app when I first purchased my PT, almost 15 years ago now, so the actual total I've spent to date on my PT would actually be higher :eek:

And I've never bought a used vehicle, I've always had new, I guess I'm afraid of getting someone else's troubles. ;)

This is the first vehicle that I've owned for this long. But I love my PT, it's never been in an accident, I know everything that's been done to it, and a few $ in occasional repairs beats a monthly payment on a new vehicle. :)

And I hate all the new technology put into new vehicles, just more expensive things to go wrong later :oops:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
More then $75,000 into a PT Cruiser?!
I'm speechless.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I'm speechless.
Over $26,000 of that is gasoline alone based on the mileage, MPGs, and average gasoline price.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
When trying to look up remanufactured parts, I use the Mopar reman catalog for reference.
Instead of combining the reman head and reman block, it may be more worthwhile just dropping in a reman long-block.
There are 2 long-blocks listed for 2002 2.4L PT; one with or one without EGR. 2002 is a stand alone year.
PT is somehow different than the JR (Sebring/Stratus/Breeze) 2.4L. They don't tell you what is different, just that it is. Believe me, they try to keep part number use to a minimum.
See p. 22 for what would apply to yours, then Google that part number.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually, his daily cost is the key number here. Less than 14 bucks a day for more than 14 years is very, very low! My guess is the average person has a daily cost of more than double that!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yeah it's pretty scary to see the cost of vehicles over time. $75,000 in 15 years sounds like a lot but taking into account regular maintenance and gas costs I'm sure it all adds up! I agree I don't want a car with too many things computer controlled and non-owner serviceable. What's funny is that I remember feeling that way about cars back in the 90's and early 2000's already - my brother and I did a lot of work on old Dodge/Plymouth A bodies with Slant 6's in them (love the Darts, Demons, Dusters, Scamps, Valiants). Around 2006 I got my first PT Cruiser (2003 model) and loved it the whole time I had it. I regret in hindsight that I sold it but I had to at the time. I should have done more research into the differences and changes in the years before I got this 2002 model...I probably would have chosen a different year if I had, but here I am 1 year later having learned a TON from getting this PT and bringing it back to life. I bought it for $500 from a guy who had left it in a field and said he used it for "racing". He really beat the thing to death. But "Bubbles" (that's the PT) was resurrected and on the way to a 2nd life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When trying to look up remanufactured parts, I use the Mopar reman catalog for reference.
Instead of combining the reman head and reman block, it may be more worthwhile just dropping in a reman long-block.
There are 2 long-blocks listed for 2002 2.4L PT; one with or one without EGR. 2002 is a stand alone year.
PT is somehow different than the JR (Sebring/Stratus/Breeze) 2.4L. They don't tell you what is different, just that it is. Believe me, they try to keep part number use to a minimum.
See p. 22 for what would apply to yours, then Google that part number.
Thank you for the link ImperialCrown!

Not finding many options to purchase the LongBlock...but what I did find was easily over $3000. Yikes...

I think I will go the route of Rebuilding myself.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
I'm speechless.
Over $26,000 of that is gasoline alone based on the mileage, MPGs, and average gasoline price.
Actually, his daily cost is the key number here. Less than 14 bucks a day for more than 14 years is very, very low! My guess is the average person has a daily cost of more than double that!!
$75,000 is not what was paid directly out of my pocket ;)

There were 4 comp claims that my insurance company paid the majority of, all I had to cover was my deductible. But I recorded the total repair bills. ;)

I had an extended warranty that covered far more in repairs than what I paid for their plan, so they made absolutely no money on me, but I recorded the total of their covered repairs. ;)

And I recouped some $ against 3 shops that did shoddy repairs to my PT. :)

But if I were to actually deduct from the total spent, those $ that were paid on my behalf, or what I recovered, the daily operating cost would actually be less than what the app has recorded. :cool:

Not that I do it very often, but I can remove the front bumper skin on my PT in about 15 minutes. :)

Remove the front bumper on a modern car, and then it has to go to the dealership for a very expensive repair to realign all of the sensors and cameras that are there to keep the vehicle going down the road in the proper lane. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
724 Posts
$75,000 is not what was paid directly out of my pocket ;)

There were 4 comp claims that my insurance company paid the majority of, all I had to cover was my deductible. But I recorded the total repair bills. ;)

I had an extended warranty that covered far more in repairs than what I paid for their plan, so they made absolutely no money on me, but I recorded the total of their covered repairs. ;)

And I recouped some $ against 3 shops that did shoddy repairs to my PT. :)

But if I were to actually deduct from the total spent, those $ that were paid on my behalf, or what I recovered, the daily operating cost would actually be less than what the app has recorded. :cool:

Not that I do it very often, but I can remove the front bumper skin on my PT in about 15 minutes. :)

Remove the front bumper on a modern car, and then it has to go to the dealership for a very expensive repair to realign all of the sensors and cameras that are there to keep the vehicle going down the road in the proper lane. :rolleyes:
As someone who's '06 Dakota decided the scrap heap was a better place then the roads of New York (I mean, I bought it from a place that didn't really know exactly what they were doing....)
I'm just surprised to see those numbers lmao
Considering I'm more used to someone I know getting a new vehicle every 5 years or so.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
As someone who's '06 Dakota decided the scrap heap was a better place then the roads of New York (I mean, I bought it from a place that didn't really know exactly what they were doing....)
I'm just surprised to see those numbers lmao
Considering I'm more used to someone I know getting a new vehicle every 5 years or so.
I'm fortunate in that living in North Texas we don't have to worry about any of the salt and corrosion problems that plague so many vehicles, where salt may be used on roads. ;)

Then I was also looking back at all of my past vehicles, and I didn't have any vehicle older than about 3 years. But that was mostly because all of my past vehicles were hit by someone (their fault), and even though their insurance companies paid to fix them, they were still no good after that, so I would get something else.

But I'm in totally uncharted territory for me now having my PT almost 15 years. I never had a vehicle where I didn't think I could get parts for. But I recently had to have some vandalism repair done to the rear hatch. The Chrysler winged emblem and handle assembly is no longer available new. Fortunately I was able to find a very nice used one on Ebay that was from a PT convertible in gold. The body shop doing the repairs was able to paint it to match my vehicle and I was able to add the electric hatch switch, so all is good. :)

But I still enjoy driving my PT and hope to have it for as long as I can :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm fortunate in that living in North Texas we don't have to worry about any of the salt and corrosion problems that plague so many vehicles, where salt may be used on roads. ;)

Then I was also looking back at all of my past vehicles, and I didn't have any vehicle older than about 3 years. But that was mostly because all of my past vehicles were hit by someone (their fault), and even though their insurance companies paid to fix them, they were still no good after that, so I would get something else.

But I'm in totally uncharted territory for me now having my PT almost 15 years. I never had a vehicle where I didn't think I could get parts for. But I recently had to have some vandalism repair done to the rear hatch. The Chrysler winged emblem and handle assembly is no longer available new. Fortunately I was able to find a very nice used one on Ebay that was from a PT convertible in gold. The body shop doing the repairs was able to paint it to match my vehicle and I was able to add the electric hatch switch, so all is good. :)

But I still enjoy driving my PT and hope to have it for as long as I can :)

Yeah - gotta get familiar with the Junkyards too - Pick N Pull is a good one to go grab parts yourself. But it is true that parts will be harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey folks,

I'm still trying to gather info about rebuilding the block and head. I think I have things in motion for the head and know what I need to get.

I am not savvy about the block though - are there recommendations on what to do to the PT 2.4L block to make it more durable and last for many years to come (and maybe add a bit of performance as well)?

I see you can get pistons, rods, and more at Modernperformance.com but as curious as to others' thoughts and experience.

Also - what does one look for in the crankshaft during a rebuild? Would a 2.4L N/A motor benefit much from a different crankshaft? Lighter perhaps? Or is the original fine and plenty good for the long haul?

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Have you stripped it down to the bare block yet, Bubbles? I'm curious as to what you find the cylinders look like. I've read on some of the 2.4 rebuilds out of PT's with over 200,000 miles on them that still show the cross hatch marks in the cylinders. I've rebuilt several engines in my days, but have NEVER seen any of them with the cross hatch marks still in them. But in all fairness, I've never rebuilt a 2.4. Last rebuild was over 20 years ago and was an late 70's 318.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
Have you stripped it down to the bare block yet, Bubbles? I'm curious as to what you find the cylinders look like. I've read on some of the 2.4 rebuilds out of PT's with over 200,000 miles on them that still show the cross hatch marks in the cylinders. I've rebuilt several engines in my days, but have NEVER seen any of them with the cross hatch marks still in them. But in all fairness, I've never rebuilt a 2.4. Last rebuild was over 20 years ago and was an late 70's 318.
At 209k miles my 1992 Dakota 3.9 V6 still had the cross-hatch marks. I think it's just as much from fuel injection (a carb will always be rich at some point which dilutes oil) as anything else.

Reactions: chuzz
1 - 20 of 40 Posts