Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 1st time since 1970, a national NASCAR top tier series returns to race on a dirt track & makes history this week! Also what makes this significant is that we have TWO RAM teams that have entered this race!

Race: The MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway!

Track Layout : .5 mile oval

Race Length: 150 laps/60-50-40 segments/75 miles

Degree of Banking in Corners: 24 degrees

Degree of Banking on Straights: 8 degrees

Date: This Wednesday July 24th

Qualifying: Qualifying races begin LIVE at 7:00 PM ET

Start Time: 7:00 PM CDT - 8:00 PM EDT

Broadcast: LIVE on Speed Channel!

RAM Driver Entry List

# 10 Joe Cobb - Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing

# 68 Clay Greenfield - Clay Greenfield Motorsports

Race Schedule:

Tuesday, July 23

4:30 PM 6:30 PM NCWTS PRACTICE

7:00 PM 9:00 PM NCWTS PRACTICE

Wednesday, July 24

11:30 AM 1:00 PM NCWTS FINAL PRACTICE

5:05 PM NCWTS QUALIFYING (TWO LAPS)

7:00 PM NCWTS 1ST QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

7:15 PM APPROX. NCWTS 2ND QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

7:30 PM APPROX. NCWTS 3RD QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

7:45 PM APPROX. NCWTS 4TH QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

8:00 PM APPROX. NCWTS 5TH QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

8:45 PM APPROX. NCWTS LAST CHANCE RACE (15 LAPS)

9:35 PM NCWTS RACE (150 LAPS - Segments 60-50-40, = 75 MILES)

This race is history in the making, your not going to want to miss!

Follow the news this week here on Allpar.com by clicking here: http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/151053-nascar-cw-trucks-at-eldora-speedway-the-mudsummer-classic/

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I don't know how IMS feels about them trying to out stage the race at there facility with the truck race. There have been nearly zero Nascar stars in the Indy media.

This does not fair well for the Brickyard continuing to be and event. I am sure that this will be fine event buy lighting for IMS may be put on hold to see if Nascar is serious about continuing. The Trucks should be at Claremont not Eldora.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
TripleT said:
I don't know how IMS feels about them trying to out stage the race at there facility with the truck race. There have been nearly zero Nascar stars in the Indy media.

This does not fair well for the Brickyard continuing to be and event. I am sure that this will be fine event buy lighting for IMS may be put on hold to see if Nascar is serious about continuing. The Trucks should be at Claremont not Eldora.
???
I don't think it has a darn thing to do with IMS.
The trucks are there at Eldora because Eldora is owned by Tony Stewart.
Zero NASCAR stars in the Indy media, means what? Please clarify.
Indy drivers in NASCAR, Robby Gordon, AJ Almindinger, David Blaney, John Andretti, Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick, Juan Montoya and a few others.
Is the IMS race on Wednesday?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Clearly the big story being pushed by the Nascar Media machine is Eldora.

Local Sports radio is having trouble getting any interviews. There has been a major media pull out.

Less than 5 years ago there is a major media push for IMS race now nearly nothing. Even the biggest story when Dr Jerry Punch was on 1070 the fan was Eldora.

Now one might think that these are separate issues but lose in focus to me show pending issue at IMS.

Good luck to Rams at Eldora, but I sure IMS has noticed the Date

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
TripleT said:
Clearly the big story being pushed by the Nascar Media machine is Eldora.

Local Sports radio is having trouble getting any interviews. There has been a major media pull out.

Less than 5 years ago there is a major media push for IMS race now nearly nothing. Even the biggest story when Dr Jerry Punch was on 1070 the fan was Eldora.

Now one might think that these are separate issues but lose in focus to me show pending issue at IMS.

Good luck to Rams at Eldora, but I sure IMS has noticed the Date
Based upon what you are saying, it appears that the issue is with the IMS PR department, not NASCAR.
However I'm having a hard time connecting the thought process from a short, dirt track which is running trucks to IMS, which is paved, large and runs a completely different type of race car.
I'm sure IMS has issues, but the connect between two dissimilar events, would seem to be a stretch.
IMS issues stem from both weak management and a weak race series.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Ah making racers available to IMS and the local media. Has nothing to do with IMS and has everything to do with Nascar and its teams.

The type of tracks has nothing to do with it. It has to do with what Nascar chooses to promote and what not to promote.

IMS still has the biggest single day sporting event, and while one might call the Indycar series weak, its has had better racing and better diversity in racing then Nascar for several years. Oh but not the soap opera.

No one that has been watching the stands at Nascar races can claim the under BF that management team has been lighting up the world.

The issue is that at what was once there biggest event by attendance before they choose to race there without a tire test, Nascar has chosen on the week leading up to that event to divert focus to Eldora. This does not show weakness in IMS management but it does show disrespect to IMS. Now sure Nascar isn't big on tracks that they don't own. Arguably the most popular figure for the IMS race will be busy this week at his own track.

IMS has recent show interest in adding Lighting to facility to help the Nascar event. But if attendance is under 80,000 which it might (1/3 the weak series had 240,000) then the viability of getting lighting and the future of the race are greatly in doubt.

Now I am excited as anyone about Nascar and for that much would like to see Indycar return to there roots and run on a dirt oval, but clearly timing of the race is suspect. Would have been much better to run the race at Claremont this weekend.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I think I finally get your point, (?) in your round about writing style, you are wondering why this event is in the week leading up to the Brickyard?

A few points.
The truck series has different followers and doesn't directly compete with the Cup cars at IMS. The two events are 3 days apart.

Are you worried that NASCAR is not putting enough emphasis on the Brickyard?
I'm still trying to grasp your point here, sorry.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
They are absolutely not promoting the IMS event at all, they are promoting Eldora. I know for a fact nearly no one is being made available to the big sports station in Indy.

It is not a slight on Eldora, I am excited about it.

I am concerned by the date. The fan base Midwest race fans to me are not different fans. The same people who go to Salem and Kokomo are the same people who go to Eldora and IMS.

(now note: that there is a undercurrent to drop the Brickyard from openwheel traditionalist and some in nascar at the difficult track and even a health 100K looks sparse and giant facility)

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
This is the first national series to run a dirt race in 43 years, of course they are making a big deal about it.

Most racers won't even show up at IMS until Thursday anyway, then the media push will start for the three races that are happening there. In fact I just checked, media for IMS starts on Thursday with the Hauler Parade... Same as last year.

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill of this. The race at Eldora is a big deal and it essentially replaced the race that used to be at the short track at Lucas Oil Motorsports Park where there used to be a truck and Nationwide race a few years ago.

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I agree that it is a big deal, but a media push 3 days prior doesn't sell much tickets. There was once quite a lead up.

Trucks and Nationwide should have remained at Lucas and helped the lead up.

It might be a mole hill but it is a growing mole hill in the Indy market, and is not going without notice.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
TripleT said:
I agree that it is a big deal, but a media push 3 days prior doesn't sell much tickets. There was once quite a lead up.

It might be a mole hill but it is a growing mole hill in the Indy market, and is not going without notice.
Is there a reason why NASCAR has decided to leave Lucas? It's my understanding they left LOR to boost IMS.

I still don't see the big deal with pushing Eldora. There is race on Wednesday, they are pushing that race. Fans of IMS should be happy that there is not a Grand Am and a Nationwide race there. It's one heck of a racing weekend, if that's not enough to fill the stands, nothing is.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
TripleT said:

Im in general agreement that NASCAR has performed poorly in promoting its races.
Im about 12 miles from California Speedway, it was once (under Penske ownership) promoted nearly year round and it sold out and they were adding seats. Now, under Nascar ownership, they throw up a few billboards a month or weeks before the race and wonder why they have empty seats.
(Billboards? Really?) the France family inbreeding has resulted in a sever lack of organizational strength, leaving NASCAR floundering and lost in direction. It needs a leader like Roger Penske to rejuvenate it and push it out of complacency and back into excellence.

T

·
0 Posts
I've been to Eldora a number of times. It is a nice facility. The trucks should go over well there, and with Nascar's tie in with UNOH which is located up the road in LIma it all makes sense. Good move for Nascar. If I still lived in Ohio I would attend.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Im in general agreement that NASCAR has performed poorly in promoting its races.
Im about 12 miles from California Speedway, it was once (under Penske ownership) promoted nearly year round and it sold out and they were adding seats. Now, under Nascar ownership, they throw up a few billboards a month or weeks before the race and wonder why they have empty seats.
(Billboards? Really?) the France family inbreeding has resulted in a sever lack of organizational strength, leaving NASCAR floundering and lost in direction. It needs a leader like Roger Penske to rejuvenate it and push it out of complacency and back into excellence.
However IMS is not owned by NASCAR like California is. If IMS's general manager, Jeff Belskus, isn't promoting his races... That's his problem. He has been cutting cost at IMS like crazy and he was the motivation to move the Nationwide race, again for cost control at IMS.

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mike V. said:
However IMS is not owned by NASCAR like California is. If IMS's general manager, Jeff Belskus, isn't promoting his races... That's his problem. He has been cutting cost at IMS like crazy and he was the motivation to move the Nationwide race, again for cost control at IMS.

Mike
Nascar has to make sure drivers are available. Belskus can buy ads all he wants but without Drivers to promote the product it falls on deaf ears.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
TripleT said:
Nascar has to make sure drivers are available. Belskus can buy ads all he wants but without Drivers to promote the product it falls on deaf ears.
NASCAR does not control individual drivers schedules. All races have designated media events, usually starting on Thursday before a race that are required for drivers.

If Belskus or other sponsors or media are not contacting the PR groups for the race teams, again that's their problem.

All drivers are available, it simply has to be scheduled. I'm sorry, but that's not NASCAR's fault. The local facilities need to be proactive too.

There is no excuse for IMS/Belskus to not be on top of the promotion of an event at his facility. If he is not contacting the teams to schedule appearances, other than the NASCAR mandated ones, then shame on him.

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mike V. said:
NASCAR does not control individual drivers schedules. All races have designated media events, usually starting on Thursday before a race that are required for drivers.

If Belskus or other sponsors or media are not contacting the PR groups for the race teams, again that's their problem.

All drivers are available, it simply has to be scheduled. I'm sorry, but that's not NASCAR's fault. The local facilities need to be proactive too.

There is no excuse for IMS/Belskus to not be on top of the promotion of an event at his facility. If he is not contacting the teams to schedule appearances, other than the NASCAR mandated ones, then shame on him.

Mike
That is incorrect

Nascar can help them be available. I know for a fact that one of major radio station has been working for over 2 weeks to get drivers on air and only one so far is Dave Blaney.

It is beyond IMS control for schedules to be free for promotion, it is not beyond Nascar control.

Now JeffB can complain to Nascar and teams but that has limited effectiveness.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mike V. said:

Mike
That's correct, however my comment had nothing to do with IMS. ;)
It was in reply to Nascar marketing.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
TripleT said:
That is incorrect

Nascar can help them be available. I know for a fact that one of major radio station has been working for over 2 weeks to get drivers on air and only one so far is Dave Blaney.

It is beyond IMS control for schedules to be free for promotion, it is not beyond Nascar control.

Now JeffB can complain to Nascar and teams but that has limited effectiveness.
Two weeks??? :lol: Appearances need to be schedules sometime MONTHS in advance. NASCAR has designated "must attend" media appearances, beyond that, yes, the facility needs to promote their race. TMS president, Eddie Gossage, is a prime example of how to promote a race.

Just like California Speedway, if the track promotion team stops working to push the event (like Penske management did), attendance will suffer. California is the proof. Cutting advertising budget is wrong. The teams all have PR departments and the drivers are booked months in advance for everything from call ins to appearances to sponsor gigs.

The race schedule has been out for months. Local radio should have been on top of this and their talent bookers should have been calling the teams to schedule phone ins. If Allpar can do it, so can they. NASCAR will gladly move their race somewhere else if the local facility isn't doing their job.

It is not NASCAR's responsibility to call local radio stations and book drivers for phone ins. NASCAR does not control the daily schedules of the individual drivers.

Take the COTA in Austin. There are billboards all over the State promoting Formula1. COTA pays for that from their marketing budget, not Formula1. Same with those TMS billboards and TV commercials. It is the tracks responsibility to promote their race and local media needs to do their due diligence to make appearances happen. If they don't, they simply have to wait for the designated media day.

MoparNorm said:
That's correct, however my comment had nothing to do with IMS. ;)
It was in reply to Nascar marketing.
Right, but where does NASCAR marketing end and local marketing begin. That's the difference. California had a great marketing team when part of the Penske Group. Now their marketing team stinks. Track management used to be great, now it's not. Same with IMS, as much as I hate to say it, Tony George and his team was good at marketing races. Belskus, however, slashed spending and focused on trying to hold more events at the track instead of keeping the stand full for the premiere event.

Sure there are multiple ways to skin a cat... But which one gives you the most useable fur???

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mike V. said:
Right, but where does NASCAR marketing end and local marketing begin. That's the difference. California had a great marketing team when part of the Penske Group. Now their marketing team stinks. Track management used to be great, now it's not. Same with IMS, as much as I hate to say it, Tony George and his team was good at marketing races. Belskus, however, slashed spending and focused on trying to hold more events at the track instead of keeping the stand full for the premiere event.

Mike
Agree, just didn't want to leave the impression that I was talking in any manner about IMS.
As soon as ISC took over the Penske tracks, they slashed budgets and set up the automatic milkers to drain every last penny out and defer maintenance and ignore repairs. It was a shame.
Penske stayed as the largest non-France family shareholder in ISC, but as the reality of the France control and incompetence, he began to divest himself of ownership. I'm not sure how much if any stock he still holds in ISC.
IMS and ISC DID joint venture to own Chicago Speedway.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts