Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mike V. said:
Two weeks??? :lol: Appearances need to be schedules sometime MONTHS in advance. NASCAR has designated "must attend" media appearances, beyond that, yes, the facility needs to promote their race. TMS president, Eddie Gossage, is a prime example of how to promote a race.

Just like California Speedway, if the track promotion team stops working to push the event (like Penske management did), attendance will suffer. California is the proof. Cutting advertising budget is wrong. The teams all have PR departments and the drivers are booked months in advance for everything from call ins to appearances to sponsor gigs.

The race schedule has been out for months. Local radio should have been on top of this and their talent bookers should have been calling the teams to schedule phone ins. If Allpar can do it, so can they. NASCAR will gladly move their race somewhere else if the local facility isn't doing their job.

It is not NASCAR's responsibility to call local radio stations and book drivers for phone ins. NASCAR does not control the daily schedules of the individual drivers.

Take the COTA in Austin. There are billboards all over the State promoting Formula1. COTA pays for that from their marketing budget, not Formula1. Same with those TMS billboards and TV commercials. It is the tracks responsibility to promote their race and local media needs to do their due diligence to make appearances happen. If they don't, they simply have to wait for the designated media day.

Right, but where does NASCAR marketing end and local marketing begin. That's the difference. California had a great marketing team when part of the Penske Group. Now their marketing team stinks. Track management used to be great, now it's not. Same with IMS, as much as I hate to say it, Tony George and his team was good at marketing races. Belskus, however, slashed spending and focused on trying to hold more events at the track instead of keeping the stand full for the premiere event.

Sure there are multiple ways to skin a cat... But which one gives you the most useable fur???

Mike
2 years ago drivers were scheduled the entire week, but they all have declined, and yes it was well in advance. They have been trying to get them for awhile.

It not radio responsibility to promote the race? Nascar and the teams should want to be on.

There was I time when Nascar promoted the Brickyard, the driver promoted the Brickyard, that they called the media to be on, that the top story on ESPN and Fox Sports on the racing page was about the Brickyard.

Not this year the bigger story is the Third tier race at Eldora. Which is my original point. and that has little to do with IMS

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
TripleT said:
2 years ago drivers were scheduled the entire week, but they all have declined, and yes it was well in advance. They have been trying to get them for awhile.

It not radio responsibility to promote the race? Nascar and the teams should want to be on.

There was I time when Nascar promoted the Brickyard, the driver promoted the Brickyard, that they called the media to be on, that the top story on ESPN and Fox Sports on the racing page was about the Brickyard.

Not this year the bigger story is the Third tier race at Eldora. Which is my original point. and that has little to do with IMS
But Eldora is a big deal. While you may think of it as just a small third tier race... It's more than that... Much more than that.

Again, if IMS wanted better promotion they would step up and make it happen. They have chose to cut costs and hold back on promotion. If IMS wanted the drivers there all week they would have requested it. All of that promotion costs money and IMS clearly does not want to spend it, that's why there is not a week long deal at IMS. That's the track's responsibility and they have scaled back.

Lets not forget that the overall draw of the race has dropped off since the tire debacle of 2008 and it is actually a boring race. The appeal just isn't there anymore to warrant spending money to have the drivers there all week. Most driver's aren't into free appearances. It costs money to have the drivers there all week.

NASCAR makes there money, whether the track promotes the race or not. Otherwise, NASCAR will go find a different track to race at.

I am sorry, but this dirt race at Eldora is much bigger than I think you realize.

Mike

G

·
They are only racing trucks. While they are trying to save that series, it should never take top billing over the Cup race. After all it is Indy, it also helps that Stewart owns the track too. Indy vs. Eldora? really? No comparison. At least there shouldn't be anyway.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
They are only racing trucks. While they are trying to save that series, it should never take top billing over the Cup race. After all it is Indy, it also helps that Stewart owns the track too. Indy vs. Eldora? really? No comparison. At least there shouldn't be anyway.
And it's not, Indy media begins... The next day.

The Eldora race is on Speed Channel, which is not currently a top tier sports channel (yet). Hell ESPN just did their press release today for their coverage on Indy. When Eldora ends Wednesday, all attention will turn to the three races set for Indy this weekend.

It was also announced today that NBC outbid ESPN for the rights to broadcast Nationwide and Cup after next season.

It's really not a big deal.

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mike V. said:
But Eldora is a big deal. While you may think of it as just a small third tier race... It's more than that... Much more than that.

Again, if IMS wanted better promotion they would step up and make it happen. They have chose to cut costs and hold back on promotion. If IMS wanted the drivers there all week they would have requested it. All of that promotion costs money and IMS clearly does not want to spend it, that's why there is not a week long deal at IMS. That's the track's responsibility and they have scaled back.

Lets not forget that the overall draw of the race has dropped off since the tire debacle of 2008 and it is actually a boring race. The appeal just isn't there anymore to warrant spending money to have the drivers there all week. Most driver's aren't into free appearances. It costs money to have the drivers there all week.

NASCAR makes there money, whether the track promotes the race or not. Otherwise, NASCAR will go find a different track to race at.

I am sorry, but this dirt race at Eldora is much bigger than I think you realize.

Mike
A. it cost nothing to call in for a 15minute segment, not on IMS
B. I said earlier that the tire debacle has ruined the race, and who choose not to tire test? NASCAR
C. Yes the cars are slow, the race is hot, and 4 lap yellows for shop rags also hurt
D. Yes the Eldora race is big deal, that why this week, it puzzling.
C. Maybe the slow cars are done there but even a small crowd at IMS is a big crowd by recent nascar standards KY speedway was horrible.

Nascar mostly makes it money on TV, but eventually attendance will become a factor, and while individual tracks are in charge of individual promotion Nascar is responsible for overall promotion and making its teams available.

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Get a look at the trucks we just posted for the race on Wednesday in the Motorsports Section!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure if NASCAR controls tire testing. That is likely up to Goodyear.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
TripleT said:
A. it cost nothing to call in for a 15minute segment, not on IMS
Then call a team and schedule it! Each team has PR for that. If you can't schedule it, you waited too long and no one is available. NASCAR does not keep up with the personal schedules of each driver individually. NASCAR drivers have lots of promotional contracts. They aren't just sitting at home every night waiting to call into a radio show just for the grins of it.

B. I said earlier that the tire debacle has ruined the race, and who choose not to tire test? NASCAR
Should they do a tire at every single track? No not necessarily. Goodyear also takes a huge portion of the blame, if not the most of it. NASCAR doesn't control everyone and everything despite what some people think.

C. Yes the cars are slow, the race is hot, and 4 lap yellows for shop rags also hurt
And that is why the popularity and fan fare of the race is waning. Truthfully, it is one of the most boring races on the calendar... Pomp and circumstance gets you nothing when the race stinks.

D. Yes the Eldora race is big deal, that why this week, it puzzling.
Because it replaced a race that used to be at LMP, this week. NASCAR had has several midweek races over the years and has like three this year. You are trying to find a conspiracy when there is none.

There was a story recently on one of the Sports News sites talking about how running a race on a Wednesday night is really popular with fans. It connects the fan to old school local racing that have events mid week. It is GREAT marketing!!!

Anyone who knows short track racing knows exactly what I am talking about. In fact LMP used to start this week on like Tuesday or Wednesday and they would have one BIG race per night leading up to the Nationwide race on Saturday night. That's great promotion.

C. Maybe the slow cars are done there but even a small crowd at IMS is a big crowd by recent nascar standards KY speedway was horrible.
Kentucky needs to better promote their race or change ticket prices. It's really that simple. Shame in track management for not filling the stands. Again look at Texas Motor Speedway.

Nascar mostly makes it money on TV, but eventually attendance will become a factor, and while individual tracks are in charge of individual promotion Nascar is responsible for overall promotion and making its teams available.
After the new Fox and NBC broadcast deals, NASCAR management could probably give two craps about how many people are in the stands. It is the track promoters job to fill the stands... Not NASCAR's.

A track pays a lot of money to NASCAR to have a race, if they are not doing their due diligence to put on a good show and draw in the fans then they will lose the race a another facility.

It really is that simple. I actually expect NASCAR to leave Indy eventually. Put on your track promoter hat and stopping blaming NASCAR for everything. NASCAR had many issues, but this isn't their problem, it is IMS who has cut back on the fanfare and media appearances because the fans are walking away from IMS in droves.

Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation. As a track owner you work your butt off to bring in a big race... It's your job to market that race and fill the stands. I've been there, it's hard as hell... But it is what it is.

All 42 of the drivers have lives too, families and kids. Many have Monday afternoon thru Wednesday morning off as their "weekend" to spend time with their families. I wouldn't be interested in radio call in either to be quite frank, it's their day off. For that matter, the weekend before Indy is an off weekend and many use it for summer vacation and don't get home until Monday or Tuesday.

I'm done arguing with you. I rarely stand up for NASCAR, but you simply refuse to accept that IMS is not doing their job. They aren't. They are cutting cost. They are not paying to have the drivers available all week. They are not paying to have big festivities around the track all week. Those days are done and until IMS steps up it won't change.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
"And that is why the popularity and fan fare of the race is waning. Truthfully, it is one of the most boring races on the calendar... Pomp and circumstance gets you nothing when the race stinks."

And that is really the truth of Nascar's decline. They traded unique venues with history and quirkiness, for 1.5 mile cookie cutter snooze fests.
As much as I loved the Fontana track to drive on, it's a boring race for the fans, as are many of the generic tracks.
Bristol, Rockingham, Darlington, Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Austin, Road America, Montreal, Talledega, Dover, Richmond, Pocono, Phoenix and Las Vegas.
Give me a schedule like that and you will pack the seats.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Quote from programming manager a local Indy Sport station.

"For series that acknowledges that it is having trouble in this market, they are certainly not doing anything to encourage it drivers and teams to participate with local media"

I know the man personally, he is not a liar.

It not really a argument, Nascar will always be second string, now they are acting like it.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
moparbob said:
Get a look at the trucks we just posted for the race on Wednesday in the Motorsports Section!
This is a good discussion, I have no problem with the moderators moving it to Motorsports....and merging it with that thread.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
TripleT said:
Quote from programming manager a local Indy Sport station.

"For series that acknowledges that it is having trouble in this market, they are certainly not doing anything to encourage it drivers and teams to participate with local media"

I know the man personally, he is not a liar.
And what is IMS doing about it? It's their track, it's their market.

Cutting back on costs is not going to fix it, that's 100% the wrong thing to do!!!

MoparNorm said:
And that is really the truth of Nascar's decline. They traded unique venues with history and quirkiness, for 1.5 mile cookie cutter snooze fests.
As much as I loved the Fontana track to drive on, it's a boring race for the fans, as are many of the generic tracks.
Bristol, Rockingham, Darlington, Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Austin, Road America, Montreal, Talledega, Dover, Richmond, Pocono, Phoenix and Las Vegas.
Give me a schedule like that and you will pack the seats.
Exactly and NASCAR will eventually leave IMS if they don't get off their butts and figure out how to make the race better.

California should be next on the cut from the calendar, unfortunately. I say a race at COTA or go back to The Rock, those would be a perfect replacements.

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mike V. said:
And what is IMS doing about it? It's their track, it's their market. Cutting back on costs is not going to fix it!!!

Mike
They were going spend a Sheet load of cash on lighting. IMS is spending contrary to what you have heard.

Might be better to cut bait and run a Indycar racing on the infield in late fall if nascar attendance falls much more.

I will agree that didn't help moving the Nationwide race

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
TripleT said:
They were going spend a Sheet load of cash on lighting. IMS is spending contrary to what you have heard.

Might be better to cut bait and run a Indycar racing on the infield in late fall if nascar attendance falls much more.

I will agree that didn't help moving the Nationwide race
Nope it didn't help and the shear fact that the GM of IMS stated cost cutting as a reason for the Nationwide race to be at IMS is more telling than anything.

He has slashed promotions, there are several stories about him doing it. Track lighting isn't the issue... Promotion is!

A good promoter would stop the race and do an inversion. A good promoter would split the race into two segments. Heck the race would be better if they ran 250 miles on the road course even. Make Jimmie Johnson start on lap four from a dead stop in the pits, anything to spark excitement.

But, they aren't, they are cutting back on spending and praying the stand will magically fill just because it's Indy and they can sell a three race weekend pass. Boooo!

Just a note, I love the Indy 500. I enjoy it every year.

Mike.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Add the race at Michigan to the boring list. It's a snooze fest as well.
Hell, let's see how bad [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] the cup guys really are...

42 drivers attempt to qualify for a Cup race at Eldora.

Odd qualifiers start Heat A for 50 laps
Even qualifiers start Heat B for 50 laps

Top ten move from each heat move on to a 20 car main for 125 laps.

Caution laps don't count! I will fly my happy [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] to Ohio to see that!!!

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Add the race at Michigan to the boring list. It's a snooze fest as well.
You didn't see it on my list. ;)

G

·
Sorry if I missed your post, I am also cooking dinner. Since I am semi-retired, my lady friend still works full time. I am now the cook and cleaning person LOL

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mike V. said:
Just a note, I love the Indy 500. I enjoy it every year.

Mike.
There is one of problems... Nascar will always be second in the market.... and those cars put on a much better show.

If lights don't go in I see the race going away. The track is technical for the cup guys, you have to hit your marks, and roll through the corners, I think the turn one trap speed are nearly 100mph different. COT made the racing worse, maybe this update will help. But Indy race face never liked the yellows to bunch the field.

With the temps in 70's maybe this year will be better.

Would like to see Dirt racing in both Nascar and Indycar. Good luck to the Mopars on Wednesday.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Sorry if I missed your post, I am also cooking dinner. Since I am semi-retired, my lady friend still works full time. I am now the cook and cleaning person LOL
Ha! Even if my wife was retired I'd still be the cook and cleaning lady... In a manly way of course... ;)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts