Allpar Forums banner

NASCAR CW Trucks at Eldora Speedway - The MudSummer Classic

4K views 46 replies 6 participants last post by  MoparNorm 
#1 ·
For the 1st time since 1970, a national NASCAR top tier series returns to race on a dirt track & makes history this week! Also what makes this significant is that we have TWO RAM teams that have entered this race!

Race: The MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway!

Track Layout : .5 mile oval

Race Length: 150 laps/60-50-40 segments/75 miles

Degree of Banking in Corners: 24 degrees

Degree of Banking on Straights: 8 degrees

Date: This Wednesday July 24th

Qualifying: Qualifying races begin LIVE at 7:00 PM ET

Start Time: 7:00 PM CDT - 8:00 PM EDT

Broadcast: LIVE on Speed Channel!

RAM Driver Entry List

# 10 Joe Cobb - Jennifer Jo Cobb Racing

# 68 Clay Greenfield - Clay Greenfield Motorsports

Race Schedule:

Tuesday, July 23

4:30 PM 6:30 PM NCWTS PRACTICE

7:00 PM 9:00 PM NCWTS PRACTICE

Wednesday, July 24

11:30 AM 1:00 PM NCWTS FINAL PRACTICE

5:05 PM NCWTS QUALIFYING (TWO LAPS)

7:00 PM NCWTS 1ST QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

7:15 PM APPROX. NCWTS 2ND QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

7:30 PM APPROX. NCWTS 3RD QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

7:45 PM APPROX. NCWTS 4TH QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

8:00 PM APPROX. NCWTS 5TH QUALIFYING RACE (8 LAPS) followed by

8:45 PM APPROX. NCWTS LAST CHANCE RACE (15 LAPS)

9:35 PM NCWTS RACE (150 LAPS - Segments 60-50-40, = 75 MILES)

This race is history in the making, your not going to want to miss!

Follow the news this week here on Allpar.com by clicking here: http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/151053-nascar-cw-trucks-at-eldora-speedway-the-mudsummer-classic/

See less See more
#27 ·
Actually, I'm not sure if NASCAR controls tire testing. That is likely up to Goodyear.

#28 ·
TripleT said:
A. it cost nothing to call in for a 15minute segment, not on IMS
Then call a team and schedule it! Each team has PR for that. If you can't schedule it, you waited too long and no one is available. NASCAR does not keep up with the personal schedules of each driver individually. NASCAR drivers have lots of promotional contracts. They aren't just sitting at home every night waiting to call into a radio show just for the grins of it.

B. I said earlier that the tire debacle has ruined the race, and who choose not to tire test? NASCAR
Should they do a tire at every single track? No not necessarily. Goodyear also takes a huge portion of the blame, if not the most of it. NASCAR doesn't control everyone and everything despite what some people think.

C. Yes the cars are slow, the race is hot, and 4 lap yellows for shop rags also hurt
And that is why the popularity and fan fare of the race is waning. Truthfully, it is one of the most boring races on the calendar... Pomp and circumstance gets you nothing when the race stinks.

D. Yes the Eldora race is big deal, that why this week, it puzzling.
Because it replaced a race that used to be at LMP, this week. NASCAR had has several midweek races over the years and has like three this year. You are trying to find a conspiracy when there is none.

There was a story recently on one of the Sports News sites talking about how running a race on a Wednesday night is really popular with fans. It connects the fan to old school local racing that have events mid week. It is GREAT marketing!!!

Anyone who knows short track racing knows exactly what I am talking about. In fact LMP used to start this week on like Tuesday or Wednesday and they would have one BIG race per night leading up to the Nationwide race on Saturday night. That's great promotion.

C. Maybe the slow cars are done there but even a small crowd at IMS is a big crowd by recent nascar standards KY speedway was horrible.
Kentucky needs to better promote their race or change ticket prices. It's really that simple. Shame in track management for not filling the stands. Again look at Texas Motor Speedway.

Nascar mostly makes it money on TV, but eventually attendance will become a factor, and while individual tracks are in charge of individual promotion Nascar is responsible for overall promotion and making its teams available.
After the new Fox and NBC broadcast deals, NASCAR management could probably give two craps about how many people are in the stands. It is the track promoters job to fill the stands... Not NASCAR's.

A track pays a lot of money to NASCAR to have a race, if they are not doing their due diligence to put on a good show and draw in the fans then they will lose the race a another facility.

It really is that simple. I actually expect NASCAR to leave Indy eventually. Put on your track promoter hat and stopping blaming NASCAR for everything. NASCAR had many issues, but this isn't their problem, it is IMS who has cut back on the fanfare and media appearances because the fans are walking away from IMS in droves.

Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation. As a track owner you work your butt off to bring in a big race... It's your job to market that race and fill the stands. I've been there, it's hard as hell... But it is what it is.

All 42 of the drivers have lives too, families and kids. Many have Monday afternoon thru Wednesday morning off as their "weekend" to spend time with their families. I wouldn't be interested in radio call in either to be quite frank, it's their day off. For that matter, the weekend before Indy is an off weekend and many use it for summer vacation and don't get home until Monday or Tuesday.

I'm done arguing with you. I rarely stand up for NASCAR, but you simply refuse to accept that IMS is not doing their job. They aren't. They are cutting cost. They are not paying to have the drivers available all week. They are not paying to have big festivities around the track all week. Those days are done and until IMS steps up it won't change.

Mike

#29 ·
"And that is why the popularity and fan fare of the race is waning. Truthfully, it is one of the most boring races on the calendar... Pomp and circumstance gets you nothing when the race stinks."

And that is really the truth of Nascar's decline. They traded unique venues with history and quirkiness, for 1.5 mile cookie cutter snooze fests.
As much as I loved the Fontana track to drive on, it's a boring race for the fans, as are many of the generic tracks.
Bristol, Rockingham, Darlington, Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Austin, Road America, Montreal, Talledega, Dover, Richmond, Pocono, Phoenix and Las Vegas.
Give me a schedule like that and you will pack the seats.

#30 ·
Quote from programming manager a local Indy Sport station.

"For series that acknowledges that it is having trouble in this market, they are certainly not doing anything to encourage it drivers and teams to participate with local media"

I know the man personally, he is not a liar.

It not really a argument, Nascar will always be second string, now they are acting like it.

#31 ·
moparbob said:
Get a look at the trucks we just posted for the race on Wednesday in the Motorsports Section!
This is a good discussion, I have no problem with the moderators moving it to Motorsports....and merging it with that thread.

#32 ·
TripleT said:
Quote from programming manager a local Indy Sport station.

"For series that acknowledges that it is having trouble in this market, they are certainly not doing anything to encourage it drivers and teams to participate with local media"

I know the man personally, he is not a liar.
And what is IMS doing about it? It's their track, it's their market.

Cutting back on costs is not going to fix it, that's 100% the wrong thing to do!!!

MoparNorm said:
And that is really the truth of Nascar's decline. They traded unique venues with history and quirkiness, for 1.5 mile cookie cutter snooze fests.
As much as I loved the Fontana track to drive on, it's a boring race for the fans, as are many of the generic tracks.
Bristol, Rockingham, Darlington, Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Austin, Road America, Montreal, Talledega, Dover, Richmond, Pocono, Phoenix and Las Vegas.
Give me a schedule like that and you will pack the seats.
Exactly and NASCAR will eventually leave IMS if they don't get off their butts and figure out how to make the race better.

California should be next on the cut from the calendar, unfortunately. I say a race at COTA or go back to The Rock, those would be a perfect replacements.

Mike

#33 ·
Mike V. said:
And what is IMS doing about it? It's their track, it's their market. Cutting back on costs is not going to fix it!!!

Mike
They were going spend a Sheet load of cash on lighting. IMS is spending contrary to what you have heard.

Might be better to cut bait and run a Indycar racing on the infield in late fall if nascar attendance falls much more.

I will agree that didn't help moving the Nationwide race

#34 ·
TripleT said:
They were going spend a Sheet load of cash on lighting. IMS is spending contrary to what you have heard.

Might be better to cut bait and run a Indycar racing on the infield in late fall if nascar attendance falls much more.

I will agree that didn't help moving the Nationwide race
Nope it didn't help and the shear fact that the GM of IMS stated cost cutting as a reason for the Nationwide race to be at IMS is more telling than anything.

He has slashed promotions, there are several stories about him doing it. Track lighting isn't the issue... Promotion is!

A good promoter would stop the race and do an inversion. A good promoter would split the race into two segments. Heck the race would be better if they ran 250 miles on the road course even. Make Jimmie Johnson start on lap four from a dead stop in the pits, anything to spark excitement.

But, they aren't, they are cutting back on spending and praying the stand will magically fill just because it's Indy and they can sell a three race weekend pass. Boooo!

Just a note, I love the Indy 500. I enjoy it every year.

Mike.

#36 ·
Trailduster45 said:
Add the race at Michigan to the boring list. It's a snooze fest as well.
Hell, let's see how bad [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] the cup guys really are...

42 drivers attempt to qualify for a Cup race at Eldora.

Odd qualifiers start Heat A for 50 laps
Even qualifiers start Heat B for 50 laps

Top ten move from each heat move on to a 20 car main for 125 laps.

Caution laps don't count! I will fly my happy [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] to Ohio to see that!!!

Mike

#37 ·
Trailduster45 said:
Add the race at Michigan to the boring list. It's a snooze fest as well.
You didn't see it on my list. ;)

#39 ·
Mike V. said:
Just a note, I love the Indy 500. I enjoy it every year.

Mike.
There is one of problems... Nascar will always be second in the market.... and those cars put on a much better show.

If lights don't go in I see the race going away. The track is technical for the cup guys, you have to hit your marks, and roll through the corners, I think the turn one trap speed are nearly 100mph different. COT made the racing worse, maybe this update will help. But Indy race face never liked the yellows to bunch the field.

With the temps in 70's maybe this year will be better.

Would like to see Dirt racing in both Nascar and Indycar. Good luck to the Mopars on Wednesday.

#40 ·
Trailduster45 said:
Sorry if I missed your post, I am also cooking dinner. Since I am semi-retired, my lady friend still works full time. I am now the cook and cleaning person LOL
Ha! Even if my wife was retired I'd still be the cook and cleaning lady... In a manly way of course... ;)

#41 ·
MoparNorm said:
Ha! Even if my wife was retired I'd still be the cook and cleaning lady... In a manly way of course... ;)

#43 ·
# 68 Clay Greenfield picks up 2 seconds & 7 MPH in Final Practice. Read all about it here:

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/151053-nascar-cw-trucks-at-eldora-speedway-the-mudsummer-classic/#entry11359195

Seeing the way this thread & topic is working out is why I asked the question about bringing Motorsports News to MOPAR News & Rumors. It proves that most MOPAR NASCAR fans here on Allpar.com will not want to venture into another section or are willing to try the newly re-vamped system we have in place in the Motorsports News when they can get their news here.

(543 views here in MOPAR N & R so far VS. 121 in motorsports news section & counting)

At first I wanted to merge the threads but due to the main nature of the discussion, this would not fit into the Motorsports News thread since we want to talk about the race & the drivers involved, not politics of one race over another - that was not the point of why I started this thread here!

This creates a huge problem on Allpar.com & a decision must be reached on what to do next for this moderator? At least now I know where certain MOPAR motorsports fans will post in which section, which will aid in future Motorsports News topics. One way or another with your help, this moderator will get this straightened out!

#46 ·
Greenfield and Cobb started 8th & 9th in the LCQ with 1st 5 transferring to the main event- it's not over yet for them (though not very hopeful).

Greenfield P6 with 4 to go. Has a chance!

Heck of a battle between Benning and Greenfield after the restart, but Benning hung on to the last transfer spot.

#47 ·
Not a Mopar, so excuse my family pride, but congratulations to my nephew for being the winning crew chief!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.