Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a part number for the water tube o-ring that goes in above the trans on a '96 3.0L? I got one from NAPA that was listed as the water pump gasket but appeared to be very close but it's too big.

·
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will certainly check it out. Thank you!

·
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Imperial Crown I got the right o-ring. I replaced it yesterday and this morning I once again have a puddle under the van. The tube didn't appear at all to be rusted through. After work I'll try to pinpoint the exact origin of the leak. It's a tough spot to see into.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Ray, a couple of things to check in addition to the water tubes:

I had a hairline crack in the plastic restrictor which is in the heater hose lines. I ended up removing that and replacing the heater hose. I don't think that restricter is needed.

I also had a tiny crack in one of my radiator hoses where it clamps to the fitting. The hose looked fine otherwise.

·
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, I already eliminated the restrictor in the heater hose that you mentioned. It broke last year. My leak is definitely a water tube. I came home tonight and disassembled it again. I wire brushed the tube that bolts on the tranny as well as using a wire wheel and my air drill on the tube under the manifold. After re-assembly, I had a profuse leak. Must be a split (rusted through) tube and the wire wheel only opened the crack worse. Time for Ebay and some tubes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are two O rings on the 3.0 one at the trans and another that runs through to the backside of the waterpump. I had the exact same issue the part number for the Oring is a Beck/Arnley 039-4003 Advance Auto is where I got mine after searching. But anyways that tube runs across to another Oring in back of waterpump. It will leak and at high pressure blow towards the Oring you are changing making it look like that is the only one leaking. I had to install mine with some permatex let it cure and fixed the issue.

·
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But anyways that tube runs across to another Oring in back of waterpump. It will leak and at high pressure blow towards the Oring you are changing making it look like that is the only one leaking.
I'll bet that's what happened as I saw rusty water residue on the EGR vacuum diaphram and couldn't figure out where it came from. Anyway, the tube at the tranny is somewhat deteriorated so I ordered both new. I already have the big o-ring for the wp as I got it in error thinking it fit both spots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts