Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Stratus R/T sedan with the 2.7L and 5 speed transmission. It needs a clutch. I am told the part has been deemed obsolete by Chrysler and is not available. NAPA apparently has none either.

Options?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I'm sure someone makes it. Did you try rockauto.com?

Are you sure it's a 2.7 V-6?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Rockauto shows them, 2.7 V6 was an available engine according to their listing.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob Lincoln said:
I'm sure someone makes it. Did you try rockauto.com?

Are you sure it's a 2.7 V-6?
I haven't tried there. Looks like they might have one. Thank Bob, I hadn't thought of them.

The trans shop said one place doesn't make them anymore and another makes them, or hasn't officially stopped making them, but they have none in stock and don't know when they will.

Positive.

I will have to check with the trans shop. They show 3 different options under the clutch kit. I'm not sure which I need.

The 2.7. Most are surprised when I tell them I have nearly 182,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
2.7s were one of those rare hit or miss engines, never know what it is going to be, sounds like you got one of the good ones. And yes, there appears to be two different thicknesses, not sure what that is all about. Looks like it is a Stratus and Sebring only clutch from 2001-2004.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dana44 said:
2.7s were one of those rare hit or miss engines, never know what it is going to be, sounds like you got one of the good ones. And yes, there appears to be two different thicknesses, not sure what that is all about. Looks like it is a Stratus and Sebring only clutch from 2001-2004.
I think religious oil changes help.

The dealership I called earlier told me that the 2004 clutch was specific to that model year and a 2003 clutch wouldn't work. I don't know what would have changed between model year but he was pretty adamant about it.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
All I could think would be the thickness specifics, which seem to be specified with the rockauto site.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trans shop was able to locate a clutch in Texas. They said it was the only one they could find, though I don't think they tried rockauto. I should have it replaced next week.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Good deal.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
That's really strange. I looked at Advance Auto parts website and show it's available in a clutch set for $119.99. Three stores within 65 miles of me all show to have it in stock. Did you try them?

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, no. I rather figured they did and given that my work schedule has been screwed up and I needed to get the car fixed in rather short order, I just didn't think to do it myself.

ImperialCrown said:
There are friction part rebuilders. As antique (obsolete) auto parts are something that can be hard to find, a rebuilder is a god-send.
I have used these guys for relining clutches and brakes with my part cores and obscure parts help:

http://www.rochesterclutch.com/
Thanks, I'll keep them in mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts