Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct place for this. I bought a 2002 Chysler 300M. I did a little troublshooting on it and got it to crank and start. Now my only issue is that it lopes when you accelerate and I have P0340 and P0344 fault codes. The Chilton repair manual I bought only has a diagram for the 2.7L. I tested voltage on the crank and cam sensors and they both have 5V on pin 1 and 3. Since I don' have a diagram to compare it to I wasn't sure if that was correct. I replaced the cam sensor and it did not change anything. I also cleaned some rust off of the stator wheel on the camshaft.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,689 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. I would put the Chiltons away and use the factory 2002 LH Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures manual here:
http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2002_LH_300M_Concorde_Intrepid/02lhep.pdf
See p. 136 for P0340 and p. 141 for P0344. In many ways the diagnostics used will be the same for both 'similar' fault codes.
Review the 'Possible Causes' given for both. You won't need a DRBIII unless the troubleshooting gets more involved. Your multimeter should help with testing voltages and continuities.
Visually inspect the wiring harness for rub-throughs or breaks. Your meter can be used to confirm this.
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor connector pinout and wire colors are shown on p. 339. You will have 5 volts supply on pin 1. Pin 2 must be a good ground. Pin 3 (signal) may be slightly less than 5 volts with the ignition on and engine not running. The signal voltage should drop with the engine running as it will be averaging a square wave.
A simplified system schematic is shown on p. 360. Note that it shares powers and grounds with the Crankshaft position (CKP), MAP, TPS, A/C and EGR sensors.
Also note that the Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is listed in the Possible Causes for both your fault codes. I'm not saying that having the CKP set a CMP fault is common, but it is a possibility. Do some more diagnosis first.
Using OEM sensors can be important. I have used some aftermarket sensors that didn't work well (had the same fault code) and had to be turned back in. As it was a brand new part, I had doubts that it could possibly be the problem and I wasted a lot of time looking elsewhere until I revisited the sensor. Make sure that the parts you use say OEM in their description for best results.
With the engine running, the signal voltage (a square wave pattern) will be read as an average voltage on your meter.
A scope can be used to observe the square wave patterns from both the cam and crank sensors. The 6-cyl cam/crank waveforms are shown on p. 363.
I will move this thread to the LH technical section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct place for this. I bought a 2002 Chysler 300M. I did a little troublshooting on it and got it to crank and start. Now my only issue is that it lopes when you accelerate and I have P0340 and P0344 fault codes. The Chilton repair manual I bought only has a diagram for the 2.7L. I tested voltage on the crank and cam sensors and they both have 5V on pin 1 and 3. Since I don' have a diagram to compare it to I wasn't sure if that was correct. I replaced the cam sensor and it did not change anything. I also cleaned some rust off of the stator wheel on the camshaft.
friend, how did you solve p0344?

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. See Possible Causes here. Note that a shifting Crankshaft position sensor (CKP) waveform in relationship to a stable Camshaft position sensor (CMP) can cause the P0344. Make sure that cam/crank timing marks are aligned.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
Good question.
I believe a 300m and LHS would only come with the 3.5L H.O.
It has been all I've ever seen here in the U.S. The information I posted is for the 3.5L H.O.
This car, being an export may come with the smaller displacement?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Good question.
I believe a 300m and LHS would only come with the 3.5L H.O.
It has been all I've ever seen here in the U.S. The information I posted is for the 3.5L H.O.
This car, being an export may come with the smaller displacement?
The 300Ms in Europe and possibly Canada and Mexico came with the 2.7 as well, believe it or not! Euro taxes are a big reason, over 3.0L is arbitrarily taxed.

·
Registered
'00 + '01 + '03 + '04 300m and '01 Ram
284 Posts
I don't believe that the 2.7 was ever an option in Canada for the 300m. I know when I bought my '00 that the single most significant option (and there seemed to be very few options) was a sunroof, and possibly a full-size matching spare tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts