Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Cruiser with 130,000 miles. Bought it used 1 1/2 years ago. About a year ago I had an oil leak (big surprise) fixed that and afterwords the oil light came on. Called the mechanic and he said its fine it will do that at first. I have had it in 7 times now for this stupid light. Have had the pressure switch replaced and has new oil and filter. I just had the heads fixed, new head gasket, water pump and timeing chain replaced. All this in the past 2 weeks. The oil light is still coming on! It only comes on when my temperature gauge hits the hafl way mark and I am doing short stop and go running, like school, gas station then home with all the red lights in between. It starts coming on when at a complete stop then goes off when i hit the gas. The longer it goes on the sooner the light comes on. It will start coming on as soon as I hit the brakes and begin to slow down. As soon as the temp cools after being shut off the oil light is gone as well.
Any suggestions as to what may be the cause? Im getting extreamly fed up with the mechanic but its still under warranty so I have to go through them. They dont have any idea and my car is going back agian for this light on friday. They can never find the problem or just dont want to tell me and have to fix it under warranty. I would love some usefull info so I can be informed and able to get it fixed before warranty runs out.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Maybe it's a faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor? I don't know, I'm just guessing. But I do know that a faulty CTS can cause some strange situations.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. You need to remove the sensor and attach a mechanical gauge to get true pressure readings. Otherwise you won't know if the engine is damaged, if pressure is truly low.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
The oil pressure switch is a common problem on the PT. I had the exact same problem in my 04 PT at around 130,000 miles. Replaced it and all has been fine and I'm up to 266,000 miles.

Could be a possibility that you got another bad switch. Best advice would be to do what Bob suggests and verify proper oil pressure. Or, you could you just buy and new switch and change it and see if that helps. Is the engine noisy when it idles and the light comes on?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't learned the quirks of the PT yet, but what you describe sounds to me like a properly working switch and some wear in the bearings resulting in low oil pressure. That worsens as the oil warms and thins, and will show first at low rpms, as you mention. The simplest thing is to replace the pressure sensor/oil sending unit and hope that's it. You've already done that once.

You could install a gauge, either permanently, or just a temporary, to be certain. Don't throw more parts at it, especially parts unrelated to low oil pressure, until you know.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.

Michael
06 PT GT vert

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Attach a mechanical gauge as stated to confirm proper warm oil pressure first, then let us know what warm, idle oil pressure is. The bearings may indeed be pooched if the pressure is low. A pan drop and main/rod bearing visual check/plastigage check will determine the amount of wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts