Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel
All the warning lights in the cluster are on
Check engine ,abs, brake and even the air bag light is on , the transmission is also giving me problems , it feels like it's tacking off in high gear
I also noticed the speedometer is not working either ,
All of these problems started when I let the truck sit for a while the the batteries died
Does anybody have any ideas what I could check without starting to spend big money

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,002 Posts
Have you checked for fault codes? Installed a fresh battery? Low voltage can cause weird electronic fits.

Maybe an issue with the CAN (Controller Area Network) or CCN bus? Sounds like a communications issue between the various modules. There should be a fault code stored in the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module).

I had an '09 Journey SXT where the idiot lights were cycling on/off and wipers wiping every 2-3 seconds. No guages worked. Engine and transmission ran fine. The CAN-C bus was suspected though I really don't know since we traded it in (it was just past warranty).

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
. . . . All of these problems started when I let the truck sit for a while the the batteries died
Does anybody have any ideas what I could check without starting to spend big money . . . .
Did this vehicle sit unused for many months? If YES then I would start to check all wiring in and around the battery, PCM (powertrain control module), and TIPM (totally integrated power module) and wiring harnesses that traverse the engine compartment. This sounds to me like you have rodent damage to wiring, ie chewed / severed wires, wires shorting together, etc. Little varmits can wreak havoc in a short period of time.

·
Super Moderator
21,684 Posts
A spike from a jump start or undercharge/overcharge event might set fault codes. Try disconnecting, pause and then reconnect the batteries.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
FWIW the '09 Avenger I just picked up did the same thing. The battery was nearly dead, I charged it up with an old-school charger/starter while the battery was connected to the car, & started it. All the lights were on, and the gear select showed I was in all of the gears. I disconnected the battery & charged it to 100% with my Schumacher auto-charger. I reconnected it, and it started up with no lights.

Reactions: Doug D
1 - 5 of 5 Posts