Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I have access to my moms' 89 spirit ES turbo, auto, she turned over the keys to me, she is 97 and bought it new. the car has 57k on the odometer. the interior is mint she was the only driver except for me and i only probably put a totol of 1500mi on it. oil changes every 3000mi at the dealer, trans oill change, etc garage kept, cement floor . its life has been in the UP of MI. the car has been washed regularly, however been plagued with many repairs on rusty fuel and brake line repairs, along with exahaust work. the rockerpanels are gone and some rust on the wheel wells, the bottoms of the doors are repairable. WHAT I WANT IS ANY INPUT ON MEDIA BLASTING THE ENTIRE UNDERCARRIAGE TO GET RID OF THE RUST ETC. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS AND COULD ME AN IDEA OF COST AND WHAT TO USE, BAKING SODA, WALNUT SHELLS ETC. I DON"T THINK THERE HAS EVER BEEN PREMIUM FUEL USED IN IT EITHER. ANY INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL.THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

·
Registered
9 Posts
its hard to read caps my friend. anyway I doubt you could completely get rid of the rust, but blasting will definitely help to control it in the future. If its in pretty good shape and you plan to keep it around for a while to come, I think I would recommend soda blasting. You live in battle creek? You could take it to Bierman. i believe they do cars, but im not sure how much it will cost, you would have to call. I have never gotten it done, but i have heard good things.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had my Demon sand blasted, complete under and top side. A monument company did the work for $400.00. It revealed a sub frame damage and rusted out quarter bottoms and inner fenders. Good investment! Remember, sand blasting will not remove undercoating.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I had a local shop sandblast, completely cut out and fabricate new inner and outer rockers and rear quarters and weld them in; prime with epoxy rustproofer and then Ziebart. Total was 43 hours of labor, $3225. To sandblast alone, it's $600 from them. I agree that you will see more damage after the sandblasting. To me it was worth it to invest the money in a car that I'm planning to keep 10 years, and given that I only paid $850 for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts