Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! Long-time reader, first-time poster.

I am working on a 1960 Dodge D200 Utiline pickup with the 230-cu.in. flathead six, Borg-Warner T-85 transmission, and Dana 60 rear. Some previous owner removed the column-shift mechanism and replaced it with a generic floor shifter. I am gathering the parts to undo this, but I've hit a roadblock.

According to my Service Manual, the pieces I need are the Second and High Operating Lever, Second and High Control Rod, and the Support Clamp and Bolt. I've reached out to several suppliers of used and NOS parts and generally have struck out. Andy Bernbaum told me they can't search for my parts without the part numbers, but I don't have the Parts Catalog and am really hoping to avoid the expense of purchasing one.

Does anyone know the numbers for these parts? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Shifter Pieces 02.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
Any access to a 1960-ish Dodge D-series parts catalog?
s-l300.jpg
I didn't see a pdf on the internet.
I have had some surprising results from Googling old, obsolete Mopar part numbers. Perhaps a parts truck is sitting out there somewhere? Perhaps these parts were used for multiple model years in multiple models?
Before the internet, I joined antique car clubs like WPC for parts sources, service information and fellowship.
If a parts search fails, perhaps you could make what you need? This is a part of the joy of the hobby.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've scoured my local sources for a Parts Catalog, but to no avail--also put out the call for used parts, which is how I ended up with the parts I have now. If can't turn up the numbers any other way, that's my last option. I'm just a bit frustrated to have to buy a $30 scan of the catalog for two numbers. Fabrication is my last resort and I have a friend willing to help, but it's always better to use factory parts where possible, rather than try to engineer something that has already been done by professionals.

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
I have to look at that '$30 manual' as a tool cost. You will be able to keep the Mopar parts catalog scan for future reference. It may even pay for itself one day.
Sometimes the parts assembly drawings are better than what is shown in the service manual, if there are questions on how something comes apart or goes together.
If the truck is sold one day, the parts catalog will add to the value of the truck in the buyer's eyes.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have restored many Mopar products,cars and now trucks..I recently sourced a NOS fuel gauge for my 1937 Desoto,i needed a part number.To do a proper restoration I find getting a factory service and parts manual imperative.If I sell the vehicle they can go with it,for a price or I just keep them.Who knows what's around the corner.

The cost is just part of the build.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some answers, I think, and I will record them here for future reference:

Lever - 1921508
Control Rod - 1921505
Operating Lever - 1921514
Clamp - 1829589

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
The lever - 1921508 and clamp - 1829589 are apparently shared by column shift passenger cars of the same era.
The 1960 passenger car parts catalog lists the 1921508 lever in the manual transmission chapter 21 on p. 21-11 here:
1960 Mopar Parts Book
The 1955-58 passenger car parts catalog shows the 1829589 clamp in the steering chapter 19 on p.19-19 here:
http://www.jholst.net/55-58-parts-manual/steering.pdf
It's a good start for trying to find these 2 parts anyways.
The truck steering column and shift control rod were likely unique to the truck. A vintage Hollander's Truck Interchange manual may show you Dodge truck steering column applications between years and models?

Reactions: David Conwill
1 - 7 of 7 Posts