Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep burning up starters in my resto-rod '62 Valiant, into which I've stuffed a stroked LA 360. I need a starter heat shield. Should I:

*Build one myself? No problem, but what should it look like and how does it mount? Can anybody point me to a picture of one?

*Modify such a heat shield for a Chevy V8?

*Buy one somewhere?

Thanks, everyone.

52 Coronet

·
Registered
560 Posts
Jegs has one which is a wrap type with aluminized facing for heat reflection. I'm also going to get one. The only other solution is to install a true mini starter. Many choices for them.

·
Premium Member
20,162 Posts
I would either go with a mini starter or have the exhaust pipe near it moved (I figure that is what is burning them up) and if headers, wrap the header, which might be easier.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tazdev, with the mini-starter, does one still need to be concerned about heat? Or does the mini-starter sit far enough away from the exhaust manifold that it doesn't overheat?

·
Registered
560 Posts
In pictures, they appear to have much smaller diameter motors, located farther toward the block, and away from the header pipes. IMHO, this should negate the heat soak issue with the bigger starters. I'm going to try that aluminized cover before changing starters. In any case, building a nice metal shield would protect the mini (If needed without much fitment problem.

·
Registered
560 Posts
More info. Just looked at a NAPA re-man for '95 Dakotas. It is a true mini with way smaller dimensions, and might well cure our issues. $74.00 plus core is a good deal. I picked up a COOL_IT heat wrap and am going to try it's effectiveness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts