Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 91 Plymouth Voyage with AWD. Has 65,000 miles. Need to service the Trans and drive train. Can somebody help me with service info on the trans, fluid type and amount to service and if there is a filter to replace and a band adjustment or any other kind of adjustmnet needed when servicing the trans. Also need fluid types and amounts for transfer case and rear end and if any additives are needed when changing. Any tips on service procedures would be very helpful as well, Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
The transaxle requires ATF+4. I don't remember exactly, but figure on around 5 quarts for a pan drop and filter change (yes, there is a filter). There are no bands to adjust. I can't remember what kind of fluids in the transfer case or rear diff, although the latter uses gear oil (probably 75w-90). No owner's manual? It's been years since I owned one of these, and my Haynes manual doesn't cover the AWD system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have an owners manual, but the info is limited at best. I've also noticed that as time passes new fluids will take the place of some older ones, but I want to make sure I'm using the right stuff that won't cause any problems or issues.

Also, It does sweat quite a bit of fluid, borderline leak with drips on the driveway, but no drips yet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
According to a '93 FSM that I have, the power transfer unit takes 1.15 liters or 38.8 ounces of 85W-90 gear lube.
The overrunning clutch takes .37 liters or 12.4 ounces of ATF+(4).
The driveline module (rear differential) takes 1.9 liters or 64.2 ounces of 85W-90 gear lube.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to a '93 FSM that I have, the power transfer unit takes 1.15 liters or 38.8 ounces of 85W-90 gear lube.
The overrunning clutch takes .37 liters or 12.4 ounces of ATF+(4).
The driveline module (rear differential) takes 1.9 liters or 64.2 ounces of 85W-90 gear lube.
Ok. I'm really not familiar with the proper names of these components. I'm guessing none of these components you mentioned were the transmission. Is the transmission called something other than transmission? I'm used to the standard 4 wheel drive components and names which have accompanied a basic rear wheel drive vehicle so much of this I'm guessing I'm unfamiliar with.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The '93 FSM says 4 quarts of ATF+ for a service fill and 9.1 quarts for "overhaul fill capacity with converter empty", in other words, a dry never filled trans and converter. As NYBo stated about 5 quarts, depends on how long you let it drain. The longer you let it drain the better because it will drip forever making it difficult to keep the gasket dry when reassembling. I use NAPA filter kit ATP 1-7960 that has the black rubber type gasket and no sealer on my '98 without leak problems. Way back I used to just use sillycone as factory recommended and always had seep/leak problems. I recommend using a in-lb torque wrench on the pan bolts at 105 in.lbs, if I remember correctly, to get even torque on the bolts. Of course, torque the bolts down in at least two steps and in a criss-cross pattern. The reason for this is because that aluminum case is soft and you can easily strip the threads. My trans has had two major repairs and I have had to install inserts in every hole! I think they used an air wrench and weren't careful enough snugging up the pan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info 98gcawd. Could you also help me understand what's what in the other post, ie, power transfer unit and over running clutch, etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Instead of transmission they use transaxle since the front diff. is incorporated with the trans. Power transfer unit/ transfer case, same thing. Drive line module is what the manual says, I've always called it a differential or rear end. On the overrunning clutch, the manual says that with normal use it doesn't require periodic maintenance. I've never serviced mine, but probably should! I pulled the plug once but the hole is so small that it would probably take a Mighty-Vac with tiny hose to suck it out - no drain plug. AT 65K miles yours is hardly broken in! With mine I regret every $ I put in it since I figure it could die any day!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry, it takes me a long time to type. the overrunning clutch bolts to the front of the differential. I got the Factory Service Manual off Amazon,.it came with the manual for my truck. I was going to sell it on ebay but it does have some useful info for me and I haven't found one for my '98. The one you might want to get says on the cover, 1991 Service Manual, Van/Wagon, *Chrysler symbol*, Front Wheel Drive - All Wheel Drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, 65,000 ain't much, but age and nothing but short trips tell me that I need to stay on top of it. All the components leak or sweat badly as I like to call it since it doesn't drip just yet. Is there a leak stopping additive I can add to the rear end and transfer case components to slow down or stop the leaking until I determine if it's worth replacing gaskets and seals. Don't want to use anything that will cause problems, but I'd like to stop the leaks.

I've looked for a factory service manual a few times but no luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts