Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge Neon. Saw 100/80 stamped on the side of the halogen bulb base. 9007 Bulbs. At first I thought they were the HELLA bulb which is made in India now. They weren't. The box said Made In China.

The "issue" is this bulb had aluminum pins. The OEM headlight socket has unplated brass terminals.

Being I have a crippled hand I don't feel like screwing around with the HELLA 100/80's in my '95 Spirit UNLESS I HAVE TO.

Anyone know FOR SURE what material HELLA uses for their pins on the 100/80 9004 lamps? Is it copper, plated copper, or aluminum?

If the material is indeed aluminum I need to take the car and some zinc oxide paste to a local mechanic who can follow instructions and apply zinc oxide paste to the fast-on aluminum to brass termial fit.

Aluminum to copper or aluminum to brass connections have caused more car and home fires than I would ever be able to count. Aluminum is illegal in some code areas. Aluminum MUST be tin coated for an interface connection and even then a material like colloidal copper or zinc paste must be applied. If Hella did NOT plate aluminum pins with tin, then this proceedure needs to be done before my next night driving excursion *nearest town 72 miles*. I need to postpone tomorrow's trip for meds, until Celso gets back on Wednesday.

Thanks for the help.

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
I've had trouble with aftermarket sockets and 100 watt bulbs. The OEM sockets have worked.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
When modifying lighting circuits, the circuit components must be upgraded to handle the higher load. This may include heavier gauge conductors/terminals and relays so you can use the stock switchgear.
OEM sockets may offer great quality, but are not designed to handle these aftermarket 'superbluewhite' Frankenbulbs. You can melt, burn and damage your car. It can be a violation of local lighting laws, can blind oncoming drivers and can cause accidents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Standard_108
If the H9007 bulb says 100/80W don't believe it, it is not really a H9007. It may however plug into a H9007 connector. Any 'less-than-good' connection will make heat and melt plastic.
Sylvania/Osram lists the current draw of a real H9007 as 65/55W:
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgproductspecs.aspx?partnumber=9007
If you have problems seeing at night, there are things that can help. Automotive lighting must be done right and may be more than just plugging in a different bulb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts