Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently test drove 2010 Altima, Fusion and Malibu all 4 cyl.

Compared to the 4 cyl 2010 Caliber auto. and the 5 spd 2006 PT I'm pretty sure they both had the 2.4 in them, they seemed real under powered.
But I was immpressed with 4 cyl in the Altima, Fusion and Malibu.
I belive that they all have comparable horsepower ratings.
Am I missing something???????????????

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Altima: 2.5L (175[at]5600/180[at]3900)
Fusion: 2.5L (175[at]6000/172[at]4500)
Malibu: 2.4L (169[at]6400/160[at]4500)
Caliber: 2.4L (172[at]6000/165[at]4400)
PT Cruiser: 2.4L (150[at]5100/165[at]4000)

Tuning can make a big difference, not only in the engine, but in the rest of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wieght makes a big differance. All I know is that the 4 cyl in the Mopars seem underpowered.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Gear ratios make a HUGE difference. And also the shape of the HP curve, not just a single point measurement.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
The wieght makes a big differance. All I know is that the 4 cyl in the Mopars seem underpowered.
There isn't all that much weight difference - they are all within 200lbs of each other.

Gear ratios make a HUGE difference. And also the shape of the HP curve, not just a single point measurement.
True. Interesting to note that the Altima and the Caliber use CVTs.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Agree, I'd say that gearing and tuning for mpg and emissions are the biggest factors today.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I was on travel to Newport, RI. While there, I had to rent a 2012 Toyota Yaris. HOLY COW! That car made my PT seem like an SRT!

While the Yaris was defintely the worst car I have ever driven, the week before, I had a new Kia Soul. That was a fun car to drive, and the acceleration was good, better than the my PT. I still like my PT better, but the Soul is not a bad car; just wondering how solid it is. It just didn't have that solid feel to it; kind of hard to explain.

So, some new cars may seem better than the older Chrysler 4 cylinders while others are lousy. Hopefully the new/improved 4 cylinders will be better matched to the rest of the powertrain and vehicle than the Caliber.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I think Chryslers version of the CVT has everything to do with how the acceleration is in their vehicles. I would like to consider a Compass for my next purchase but it won't even be on the radar as long as they continue to use a CVT. Hopefully the new drivetrains in the Dart will alleviate this issue and they will can the CVT's.

·
Registered
317 Posts
CVT's...why use such a general term when there are so many different types? That's akin to writing off automatic transmissions because of the torqueflite.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Because most articles written about CVTs don't explain any differences between them.

The best we get is that Chrysler uses JATCO CVTs, just like Nissan does, and not too many folks appear to be complaining about the Nissan vehicles using them. So then why do the Chrysler CVTs "suck?"

Note of course that only 3 Chrysler vehicles used a CVT, and today it's only 2. And none of the new products talked about have said anything about using a CVT in the future.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
CVT's...why use such a general term when there are so many different types? That's akin to writing off automatic transmissions because of the torqueflite.
?? Just the opposite. The Torqueflite was the best and most rugged automatic ever put into cars.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
?? Just the opposite. The Torqueflite was the best and most rugged automatic ever put into cars.
Absolutely, many of the current transmissions are dirivitives of the 727

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
My 2.0L '96 Neon @ 132 hp is 600 lbs lighter than the 2.0L '07 Caliber @ 150 hp. The Neon is quicker, but the Caliber is safer.
The manufacturers can raise hp just by raising the rpm at which peak torque occurs. HP=TorquexRPM/5252.
The problem I have is that I rarely have an engine at 5K or 6K as it sounds like it is straining when it is winding out at that speed. I much prefer a maximum torque around 2K, even if the HP rating is lower, the engine seems stronger and effortless with good low-end torque. Torque is the real deal.
The CVT takes some getting used to. Maybe Nissan's TCM software is more refined. The Caiber engine races and bogs and without the shifting in 'steps', it feels like it is s-l-i-d-i-n-g through the ratios (uncomfortably like a slipping clutch). But that is normal. That's what a CVT does.
I thought that CVT's had a bright future (many advantages), but Americans for the most part, didn't embrace the 'characteristics' of the CVT. A downshift does feel like a passing gear, but operation is eerie otherwise.
No doubt that the software could offer a more conventional transmission feel, but that would go against the purpose of having a CVT in the first place.
Ford dropped their CVT's after software tweaks didn't help and went back to 6-speed automatics.
As a friend once commented about the Caliber, 'it feels like a snowmobile transmission'.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep forgetting that the PT still uses the older 2.4 150 horse while the caliber uses the newer world engine 2.4 175 horses.

I assume the newer 2.4 with the 6 speed auto is alot better?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
My 2.0L '96 Neon @ 132 hp is 600 lbs lighter than the 2.0L '07 Caliber @ 150 hp. The Neon is quicker, but the Caliber is safer.
The manufacturers can raise hp just by raising the rpm at which peak torque occurs. HP=TorquexRPM/5252.
The problem I have is that I rarely have an engine at 5K or 6K as it sounds like it is straining when it is winding out at that speed. I much prefer a maximum torque around 2K, even if the HP rating is lower, the engine seems stronger and effortless with good low-end torque. Torque is the real deal.
The CVT takes some getting used to. Maybe Nissan's TCM software is more refined. The Caiber engine races and bogs and without the shifting in 'steps', it feels like it is s-l-i-d-i-n-g through the ratios (uncomfortably like a slipping clutch). But that is normal. That's what a CVT does.
I thought that CVT's had a bright future (many advantages), but Americans for the most part, didn't embrace the 'characteristics' of the CVT. A downshift does feel like a passing gear, but operation is eerie otherwise.
No doubt that the software could offer a more conventional transmission feel, but that would go against the purpose of having a CVT in the first place.
Ford dropped their CVT's after software tweaks didn't help and went back to 6-speed automatics.
As a friend once commented about the Caliber, 'it feels like a snowmobile transmission'.
My Little Aveo might only have 108HP, but its 600 Pounds LIGHTER than my Plymouth (but apparently in the IIHS's eyes, only Slightly safer...)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Doug in Florida said:
I was on travel to Newport, RI. While there, I had to rent a 2012 Toyota Yaris. HOLY COW! That car made my PT seem like an SRT!

While the Yaris was defintely the worst car I have ever driven, the week before, I had a new Kia Soul. That was a fun car to drive, and the acceleration was good, better than the my PT. I still like my PT better, but the Soul is not a bad car; just wondering how solid it is. It just didn't have that solid feel to it; kind of hard to explain.

So, some new cars may seem better than the older Chrysler 4 cylinders while others are lousy. Hopefully the new/improved 4 cylinders will be better matched to the rest of the powertrain and vehicle than the Caliber.
What about the goofy styling and goofy name of the Soul? And those commercials with the rats? :thumbsdown:

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
dak4x4 said:
And those commercials with the rats? :thumbsdown:
Hamsters, not rats.

The wife dislikes the new Soul and the new commercials because like the Soul, the hamsters trimmed down and lost weight. (No, I don't really understand that, either.)

It still may be that cost delta between Yaris and Corolla that draws folks that way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts