Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into buying a pt cruiser. I do not know much about them and was hoping to get some feedback. Just like any car, it has its pros and cons. I am looking into a 2004 cruiser with 103k on it, and a 2003 2.4l turbo Cruiser with 106k miles At this point of the cars life, what should i look for, replace, what maintance should have been done at this point? Any feed back would be great! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. As with most used cars, you can usually tell by looking at the car and speaking to the owner if the owner cared about the car or not. Paperwork and receipts can offer a history of regular maintenance and/or problems. Drive the car for unusual noises or feel. Check the dipsticks for fluid condition and level.
The timing belt would want to be replaced by now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2001-to-2010-chrysler-pt-cruiser-6.htm

I always go to consumerguide auto and read the reviews. When you get to the car, the list of TSB's and recalls for it should be the first things you look at. Some cars you can weed out without looking if its just not something you wanna deal with over a 1-2 year range...
(There's 2 years of Caravan's I won't buy because I don't feel like replacing engine heads that commonly crack under rockers)
But those major problem areas should be your first focus. See if TSB's or recalls have actually been perfromed. Cars with flakey transmissions should pay extra attention to that while driving, etc.

In inspecting those areas, it also helps with negotiation. I've haggled cars down quickly because I knew where to look for the worst possible problems, if I found any, but still wanted the car, I had a very good bargaining tool.

Never hurts to get a second opinion. I'm probably beyond a novice mechanic, but paying $30 to get a second set of eye's on it that probably knows a bit more, and may see what I don't is good too. A mechanic will list what he'd like to fix on it and more potential problems. With my own perspective, I could probably talk myself into a yugo if I really wanted it. For around $30, an unbiased inspection keeps me out of lemons!

·
Banned
1 Posts
Greetings Everyone!!!
Being new here, I'm not sure what the S.O.P. is for posting, so I'll just be my normal self & hopefully I won't upset anyone.

From day 1 when I saw a PT Cruiser, I was in awe of the car. I love the look of it, & when I sat inside, I did not feel confined or constricted in any way. I would LOVE to own one, but where in the heck do I find one?
I know that they have some issues, but fixing/correcting those issues gives me something to do & keeps me from driving my wife nuts! : P

I just think that the PTC is the coolest car around, & this old geezer would love to own 1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SIRJAMES09 said:
Greetings Everyone!!!
Being new here, I'm not sure what the S.O.P. is for posting, so I'll just be my normal self & hopefully I won't upset anyone.

From day 1 when I saw a PT Cruiser, I was in awe of the car. I love the look of it, & when I sat inside, I did not feel confined or constricted in any way. I would LOVE to own one, but where in the heck do I find one?
I know that they have some issues, but fixing/correcting those issues gives me something to do & keeps me from driving my wife nuts! : P

I just think that the PTC is the coolest car around, & this old geezer would love to own 1.

I don't know where you live, but at least here in MN they sold quite a few PT's new and there are always some used for sale somewhere. In my estimation they seem to hold their value pretty well around here. We've had ours for a few years and it has been a great car (except for a tranny problem that costed us some money). Fun to drive and economical! Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts