Allpar Forums banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I look at that picture from 20 years ago I see my 2003M .... I loved that car ! I owned it longer than any of the other 25+ cars ...
I had a 1999 300M with the handling package (16" wheels and tires I believe), loved that car and wish I had kept it longer

It represented something sportier and more luxurious than the mainstream brands, and uniquely styled.. not quite a Lincoln/Cadillac but closer than one would think

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
I had an '00 300M. I loved that car. It was not as good as my multiple 300Cs that I owned (thank you Hemi) but interior-wise it was one of the best to live with

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
What can EMP2 offer over let's say Giorgio except for maybe lower costs?

CMP is not STLA Small.
In addition to lower costs:

1. FWD
2. Plug in hybrids with electric AWD.
3. Lighter weight
4. Better fuel economy
5. Narrower cars
6. Likely better reliability.

These are all selling points in the US

Only 9.3% of cars and 4.6% of SUVs are RWD. Take rates in the Northeast, Midwest and Northwest are even lower.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Since we are praising the good old days, I loved the 2 LHS' I owned.
They were so big and comfortable.
I had three.

1997 Concorde Lxi
2000 300M
2002 Concorde Limited

The LH car refresh was amazing.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I had three.

1997 Concorde Lxi
2000 300M
2002 Concorde Limited

The LH car refresh was amazing.
Yup.
I still think the 300M seats were the best I've ever had in a car.
The handling was amazing for a boat of that size.
Engine wasn't quite Hemi or even 3.6+eight-speed responsive, but it was pretty responsive. Gas mileage was good on the highway, for the day.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yup.
I still think the 300M seats were the best I've ever had in a car.
The handling was amazing for a boat of that size.
Engine wasn't quite Hemi or even 3.6+eight-speed responsive, but it was pretty responsive. Gas mileage was good on the highway, for the day.
I loved the Laser seats with the bulb for the lumbar and leg support. A great car, I would buy a new one on EMP1/CMP or EMP2 if I could.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
In addition to lower costs:

1. FWD
2. Plug in hybrids with electric AWD.
3. Lighter weight
4. Better fuel economy
5. Narrower cars
6. Likely better reliability.

These are all selling points in the US

Only 9.3% of cars and 4.6% of SUVs are RWD. Take rates in the Northeast, Midwest and Northwest are even lower.
Yes, CUVs are going AWD only. Look at Mazda. Jeep needs to wake up or it is going to destroy itself.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wrong again on your numbers. Here are the actual numbers from the website:

1984 models
LeBaron 96 interior 15 trunk
E Class/New Yorker 97 interior 17 trunk
Newport/5th Avenue 99 interior 16 trunk
Executive 101 interior 14 trunk
Grand Marquis 111 interior 22 trunk

2004 models:
Concorde 107 interior 19 trunk
300 M 105 17
Grand Marquis 109 21

2021 model
300 106 16

The last Grand Marquis had 5 more cubic feet in the trunk than the 300. The Concorde had 3 more cubic feet in the trunk.

As I said the old style cars had width for a bench seat, that didn't give any extra usable space for 4 people, six fit much better.

I don't call a short tall vehicle a triumph in packaging. It is an old Eurasian concept to minimize vehicle shadow while maximizing interior space by going vertical. This is discouraged by the present EPA footprint regulations that actually give an advantage to the traditional lower longer wider US car style. The real triumph is making a 50-53" tall car with good headroom for a 6'2" driver.

PT Cruiser 98.9 cu ft interior 21.6 cu ft cargo (measured as a station wagon, so not directly comparable to a sedan like a hatchback would be).
LeBaron GTS 98 cu ft interior 18 cu ft cargo. (measured as a hatchback, so directly comparable to a sedan).

The LeBaron GTS it the real triumph in packaging, right way to package that interior volume for most people in the US.
I was hoping for a modern LeBaron GTS on the LANCIA DELTA architecture...😖

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I keep trying to pin down what makes Chrysler a Chrysler, looking at how the lineup from even 20 years back compares to now. The brand was fashion forward, innovative, well designed, and attainable luxury. I dont know if I would say the same for what is on offer today.

I miss those days where the brand was full of new product. Makes you wonder what type of a halo vehicle could help jumpstart a resurgence in todays SUV-filled arena.. and what would make it stand apart from all of the rest..

View attachment 82467
The only things I found to be moaned we're the failures to offer advanced transmissions, allwheel drive, tech like built-in navigation, and higher appointed interiors to further it's lead on the competition.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
The only things I found to be moaned we're the failures to offer advanced transmissions, allwheel drive, tech like built-in navigation, and higher appointed interiors to further it's lead on the competition.
Bring back the Chrysler Aspen.

Do not have a base trim. Instead, have fashion trims.

Chrysler Aspen Versace
Chrysler Aspen Varvatos
Chrysler Aspen Hilfiger

Each would have the same content, just interior styling tweaked with the fashion designers.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts