Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
Mexico has always had Dodges that were not in the US, uch as a Dodge branded Mitsubishi Mirage? and prior to that some Dodge branded Hyundais.
And the Fiat renamed as Dodge Neon (it appears to be gone now?).

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
75 Posts
Looks like a functional and reasonably styled vehicle for the market it will serve. Gotta lose that hideous front end. But if it's Chinese, then all bets are off. I wouldn't touch a Chinese car with a 10 foot pole.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a functional and reasonably styled vehicle for the market it will serve. Gotta lose that hideous front end. But if it's Chinese, then all bets are off. I wouldn't touch a Chinese car with a 10 foot pole.
When 50% of your car is already Chinese you might as well get the full package. The Chinese auto industry is quickly closing the gap of technology and quality.

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
75 Posts
When 50% of your car is already Chinese you might as well get the full package. The Chinese auto industry is quickly closing the gap of technology and quality.
I don't care about that. You see there's this little thing about me not liking Communists and I have a strong aversion to making them richer. If I see made in China, it goes back on the shelf unless there are NO alternatives.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The first generation was on the Alfa 166 platform, so I think this second generation car is basically an Alfa 166 crossover with a 2.4T Mitisubishi engine.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The original Trumpchi GA5 was the Alfa 166 derivative. This car is based on the GS4 compact car which uses an unrelated platform.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Mexico has always had Dodges that were not in the US, uch as a Dodge branded Mitsubishi Mirage? and prior to that some Dodge branded Hyundais.
And the Fiat renamed as Dodge Neon (it appears to be gone now?).
Always? More like it has become standard practice under Fiat.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
So it dates to 2001 and Daimler/Hyundai. That isn't Always. Plus it was only under Fiat that it expanded beyond little sub 100" wheelbase city cars and subcompacts. That makes it standard practice.

Sorry, been longer than that. Look back at the 1970s and 1980s and you’ll still find Dodge products in Mexico not available in the US.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Sorry, been longer than that. Look back at the 1970s and 1980s and you’ll still find Dodge products in Mexico not available in the US.
Mixing and matching Dodge and Plymouth trim pieces and changing name plates and stickers isn't the same as selling Hyundais, Mitsubishis and Fiats as Dodges in Mexico.

If you stick Dart badges on an Aspen or Aries it doesn't make it a new product. The same goes for sticking Super Bee stickers on a Duster/Demon or Aspen/Volare, or Magnum stickers on a Plymouth Fury/Dodge Diplomat or Dodge 400/600. That's mixing and matching from the parts bin, a rehash, not anything new.

Actually we got the Mirage as a Dodge Colt before in the US, but never the current 3 cylinder Mirage.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Mixing and matching Dodge and Plymouth trim pieces and changing name plates and stickers isn't the same as selling Hyundais, Mitsubishis and Fiats as Dodges in Mexico.

If you stick Dart badges on an Aspen or Aries it doesn't make it a new product. The same goes for sticking Super Bee stickers on a Duster/Demon or Aspen/Volare, or Magnum stickers on a Plymouth Fury/Dodge Diplomat or Dodge 400/600. That's mixing and matching from the parts bin, a rehash, not anything new.

Actually we got the Mirage as a Dodge Colt before in the US, but never the current 3 cylinder Mirage.
Per wiki "The Dodge Attitude is a badge-engineered subcompact sedan sold by Stellantis North America (previously Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Chrysler Group LLC, and Dodge Chrysler LLC) in Mexico over three generations since 2006. Dodge rebadged the Hyundai Accent (MC) for the original version, updating the model line in 2011 with the RB series Accent. Mitsubishi Motors became the source of the Dodge Attitude from January 2015, using the Mitsubishi Attrage/Mirage G4 as the donor car." This is only one car so i'm not gonna try and dig deeper since finding cars for mexico/south america only are a bit of a pain. But this goes to show that it's not a Fiat thing but started under chrysler, if I had to guess it probably started in the 90s

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I never said it started under Fiat. I said it has become standard practice under Fiat. Which I clarified under post #13. "So it dates to 2001 and Daimler/Hyundai. That isn't Always. Plus it was only under Fiat that it expanded beyond little sub 100" wheelbase city cars and subcompacts. That makes it standard practice." Selling foreign cars not sold in the US as Dodges as Dodges in Mexico started under Daimler management, not Chrysler. That some Frankenstein parts bin cars were made by Chrysler for Mexico before that is irrelevant to the conversation. There is no evidence of captive import Dodges sold in Mexico but not in the US before Daimler, so I don't know where your guess of the '90s comes from.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I never said it started under Fiat. I said it has become standard practice under Fiat. Which I clarified under post #13. "So it dates to 2001 and Daimler/Hyundai. That isn't Always. Plus it was only under Fiat that it expanded beyond little sub 100" wheelbase city cars and subcompacts. That makes it standard practice." Selling foreign cars not sold in the US as Dodges as Dodges in Mexico started under Daimler management, not Chrysler. That some Frankenstein parts bin cars were made by Chrysler for Mexico before that is irrelevant to the conversation. There is no evidence of captive import Dodges sold in Mexico but not in the US before Daimler, so I don't know where your guess of the '90s comes from.
Dodge 1000, Dodge vision and dodge altos both designed and built by a different company that were only sold in Mexico for us started in the 90s. That’s not including when we were in bed with Mitsub and we’re pretty much using their engineering and selling their cars and redesigned dodges in the states that really started in the late 80s/early 90s

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Dodge 1000, Dodge vision and dodge altos both designed and built by a different company that were only sold in Mexico for us started in the 90s. That’s not including when we were in bed with Mitsub and we’re pretty much using their engineering and selling their cars and redesigned dodges in the states that really started in the late 80s/early 90s
The Mitsubishis were sold in the US from the early '70s. I had a '77 Colt. Your dates are off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts