Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,579 Posts
It's...a....commercial. What's the big deal?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You have to choose to be offended by something.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of this lowbrow humor, and especially not from Will Ferrell. Something about that dude just puts me off in a try-too-hard-to-be-funny sorta way. The only problem I see with it is that simply put: They're trying to cater to a market that can't afford the cars new. lol
It's kinda nice knowing I'm not the only one to get that vibe about Will Ferrell.
I know he's liked by the multitudes, but I've never found him to actually be funny.

I must be the odd one.o_O

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
I wasn't offended. I wasn't impressed.

Reactions: finc.jb

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I thought it was great.

Will Farrel was the Durango spokesman as Ron Burgundy.

So now will farrel is portrayed by his character in Talladega Nights.

Hmmm...you sure better not watch the movie then.

The point of it was dodge won another award....and the Durango is now the fastest SUV.

You know...if you ain't first your last.

Man. You can not find the humor dodge sent...using a NASCAR movie to showcase that the fastest cars are not there...
And the humor about the disclaimer...you know someone thought kids were doing this.

but Toyotas are not offensive...maybe take a harder look at them.

Offensiveness is two sided. I am offended that this offended someone...ugh

·
Registered
958 Posts
As far as the ad-
I recall the “does that thing got a Hemi?” Campaign.
This ad is about the quality ranking. It does not show new product. It’s clearly a movie reference to something I started watching and then got up to mow the lawn. Not offensive, just stupid. That kind of humor stopped being funny around high school.
Beautifully shot, good stunts, great cars. Weak reference, large build up with such a short payoff, most might miss it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
P.S. Today...I tried eating some Canned Boiled Peanuts for the very first time.
Stupid me...I didn't even realize the peanuts would still be in the shells! :oops:
I also quickly discovered how incredibly salty they were from the brine they were cooked in. Even rinsing the peanuts out in plain water didn't help much.

Am I missing something here? Do Southerners actually like and enjoy Boiled Peanuts?
Canned??? YUCK! No, you must get them hot of the boiler into a brown paper bag and eat them right then. So only buy from a road side stand selling them...and yes they are still salty...but some sellers have flavors.
Still...personally, I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Canned??? YUCK! No, you must get them hot of the boiler into a brown paper bag and eat them right then. So only buy from a road side stand selling them...and yes they are still salty...but some sellers have flavors.
Still...personally, I'm not a fan.
Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Now I feel a little bit less the clueless Yankee.:oops:

It was the first time I had ever seen such a thing in a supermarket here in New England. And......It was selling at a give-away price, and so curiosity got the better of me and I bought a can. I bought the original flavor, but I did see other flavors, including cajun spiced, barbecue, and vinegar & sea salt.

I kinda figured Boiled Peanuts was much more something to be experienced freshly made as you describe. But...at least my curiosity is satisfied, and I never have to wonder about them ever again.;)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I thought it was great.

Will Farrel was the Durango spokesman as Ron Burgundy.

So now will farrel is portrayed by his character in Talladega Nights.

Hmmm...you sure better not watch the movie then.

The point of it was dodge won another award....and the Durango is now the fastest SUV.

You know...if you ain't first your last.

Man. You can not find the humor dodge sent...using a NASCAR movie to showcase that the fastest cars are not there...
And the humor about the disclaimer...you know someone thought kids were doing this.

but Toyotas are not offensive...maybe take a harder look at them.

Offensiveness is two sided. I am offended that this offended someone...ugh
Somehow, I managed to miss 'Talladega Nights'...and everything else Will Ferrel has ever starred in.;)

"If you ain't first...you're last"...sounds like something Coach Bill Belichick would say to his players just before The New England Patriots take the field for a football game.:D

You're right...Toyotas are not offensive...but they are EXTREMELY BORING!!!:p:D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think I would have liked it better if it HAD been Scotty Kilmer:D

Well...So much for Dodge trying to broaden it's appeal to more than just the boy-racer crowd:D
That’s it. I just don’t see how this appeals to the crowd who are shelling out that kind of money for a vehicle. Maybe there’s a niche for the nouveau-riche who want to express their inner redneck? Seems like fairly restrictive product positioning to me, but I guess that’s Dodge now.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
So I get that it is about the quality award, and I get that my wife is no longer in Dodge's target market. But, my wife tuned out before they even got to the award part. She's been driving Dodges for 20 years (Grand Caravans), and doesn't get all of the tire smoke and burnouts. I know those aren't new, they've been a Dodge commercial staple for a while now, but she still doesn't get it. Part of her still wants another Dodge, because for 20 years they have never failed her, but she is realizing they don't want her as a customer anymore.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There are tons of companies just like dodge that do it better tbh. Audi is one that comes to mind, especially over in Europe. But the gist of it for the us is rs3, rs5 (two different versions), rs6, rs7, ttrs, r8, q rs8, there's also s models that are a slightly different engine (single turbo vs 2 and a different bore) but still can make pretty decent power. For the rs models they range from a turbo inline 5, twin turbo v6, and a twin turbo v8, the r8 has a v10. In short, audi does what dodge wants to do but better since they cater to more people
My MOPAR friend, IMHO, Audi is NOTHING like Dodge. They are in the category of "refined" cars. Secondly, they're GERMAN cars. I have absolutely ZERO interest in owning any German car, now or ever. The only way to own a German car is to keep it only so long as it retains a factory warranty, or better yet, only lease it. Personally, I'd go Honda or Toyota or Hyundai or KIa before I'd ever consider a German car. And, this from someone who has family of German descent.

Also, on this very site I've seen where some folks look at the Daimler Chrysler era as "the German occupation of Chrysler." But that was likely intended as humor.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
My MOPAR friend, IMHO, Audi is NOTHING like Dodge. They are in the category of "refined" cars. Secondly, they're GERMAN cars. I have absolutely ZERO interest in owning any German car, now or ever. The only way to own a German car is to keep it only so long as it retains a factory warranty, or better yet, only lease it.
I was just proving a point that any company can throw big engines in multiple sized cars. You don't have to want or need a german car but they are doing just as well if not better than dodge at their own game. You never once said it had to be American, just really high-performance cars

·
Registered
353 Posts
Mopar22, I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, but just that we both know the two companies are targeting different demographics.
I guess I see that as irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Also, on this very site I've seen where some folks look at the Daimler Chrysler era as "the German occupation of Chrysler." But that was likely intended as humor.
NO...It isn't 'some folks'...It's ME.
You should have at least openly said so...so let me say it for you...It's ME.

The term 'Damn-Liar Occupation' is indeed meant as 'tongue-in-cheek'...with a pinch of satire thrown in for the flavor.

Before anyone gets any mistaken ideas about me...I feel I must defend myself:

By no means am I Anti-Teutonic / Anti-German. Also, I have no hatred or dislike of German People or Culture.
My venom is aimed strictly at Damn-Liar-Benz.

If anyone were to have the time and patience to comb over my posts of the last several years...one will find that I have NEVER used the word German in connection with The Damn-Liar Occupation.

I was genuinely saddened to learn of the passing of Dieter Zetsche....a man for whom I have always had the greatest respect.

However...the moment I hear of the passing of Jurgen Schrempp....I PROMISE YOU...I will let out the loudest, longest cheer the world has ever heard!

And...(not that it matters)...but I have been the one here advocating that STELL/\NTIS return OPEL to the shores of North America...even if it comes at the expense of the Chrysler brand itself.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I was genuinely saddened to learn of the passing of Dieter Zetsche....a man for whom I have always had the greatest respect.
Talk about moments of embarrassment.

In post #38...it seems I accidentally killed Dieter Zetsche.:oops::oops::oops:

I was happy to learn that Mr. Zetsche is indeed still a living resident of this mortal coil...which means he has to continue to suffer along with the rest of us!:p:D

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
So TV advertising has become reality. People have been blocking interstates around Atlanta so people can do donuts and other stunts in their cars. And those cars are typically Challengers and Chargers.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts