Allpar Forums banner
161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
Which one?
They’ve been promising that for years. What evidence is there one is coming?
No new Chrysler or Dodge product (Pacifica refresh doesn't count) until calendar 2022.
I was giving an early teaser of the Airflow concept. I just didn't think the press would reveal it the very next day after I said that.

And in twenty years when we actually get a new product.... ;)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I was giving an early teaser of the Airflow concept. I just didn't think the press would reveal it the very next day after I said that.

And in twenty years when we actually get a new product.... ;)
The design could become a nice mid-size crossover.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have this weird picture floating around in my head of the two of you "negotiating" over what the next vehicle should look like, and I see this frightening looking image of something that looks like the love child of a Durango and a VW New Beetle.

If I only had the art / drawing / photoshop skills, I'd post the image myself!:D
Please see: KAHUNA CONCEPT...

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Kahuna was basically a preview for the 2008 minivans. Many of the design elements went into the minivans, just in a normalized package.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
NEW DODGE CROSSOVER SPOTTED

A new Dodge crossover mule has been spotted being tested. It looks like it will be exactly the Alfa Tonale (which we already knew) with a different front and rear clip. I hope this isn't half-asked and half-baked.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,745 Posts
I think it’s a mule using Tonale parts. But boy the automotive media really wants to kill this thing before it’s out of the gate. I’ve seen multiple articles blasting about “badge engineering” or how the new Dodge is “just a rebadged Alfa” etc.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,966 Posts
I think it’s a mule using Tonale parts. But boy the automotive media really wants to kill this thing before it’s out of the gate. I’ve seen multiple articles blasting about “badge engineering” or how the new Dodge is “just a rebadged Alfa” etc.
Based on the limited pictures available it appears to be that. Wouldn't surprise me if it is just that.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I don't think it's right to bash the vehicle's quality or attributes before it releases, but it's fair game to point out it being a rebadge like this is 90s Chrysler again! All that said, the Tonale might be an excellent vehicle, and if that's the case, hopefully the Dodge version will be just as great.

I got a slight worry though they won't allow the Dodge to be as quick or as fast, but I hope that isn't the case.

We'll just have to wait to see what the Dodge will look like it. Hopefully they put all the effort in the world into it.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
I hope not either, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the NA management team dealing with products that do not originate here. Look at the small Jeeps. They seem, at least on the outside to take an attitude, that well I guess we have to sell these because the bosses in Europe told us to. So they do it half as-ed. Dodge doesn't need another Journey fleet queen. Just my opinion.

·
Jeepaholic
6,647 Posts
If the Alfa is a good vehicle, then it won’t matter if the Dodge is rebadged. If the Alfa isn’t, then the reputation MAY hamper the Dodge. However, I’m betting the customers for each in the US are very different, and both will have different expectations…and tuning. Hopefully Stella does her due diligence.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,745 Posts
Based on the limited pictures available it appears to be that. Wouldn't surprise me if it is just that.
Mules typically use platform shared bodies. This is not new. I guess we could also call the Wagoneer a rebadged RAM 1500.

What I see in the photos is a Tonale being used to test different front clips and venting arrangements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The average person walking into the dealership probably doesn't even know what an Alfa is. As long as its a competitive product it will sell. Based on what Mopar offers today, any crossover that is not a Jeep is welcome! Case in point, they sold lots of Journeys for a while and the this has to be better. 75% of the buyers won't know or care that is really an Alfa.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The average person walking into the dealership probably doesn't even know what an Alfa is. As long as its a competitive product it will sell. Based on what Mopar offers today, any crossover that is not a Jeep is welcome! Case in point, they sold lots of Journeys for a while and the this has to be better. 75% of the buyers won't know or care that is really an Alfa.
And if the Dodge version is less expensive, it will really provide some sales volume for the parent, which Alfa sadly does not.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Even if this is a direct copy of the tonailè, you have to remember that the Tonalé is expected to cost from $35-$40k. If this replaces the Journey (as the entry level dodge) it has to start around $25k.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts