Allpar Forums banner
241 - 260 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep
2,743 Posts
Ugh. This isn't exciting me at all. Yeah, Dodge needs it in its lineup, but this isn't the solution. Well, now that I have that out of the way, am I the only one that is bothered by license plates in the rear fascia as opposed to the rear liftgate?

·
Super Moderator
40,496 Posts
Ugh. This isn't exciting me at all. Yeah, Dodge needs it in its lineup, but this isn't the solution. Well, now that I have that out of the way, am I the only one that is bothered by license plates in the rear fascia as opposed to the rear liftgate?
The license plate moving to the lift gate was a high improvement when Cherokee was restyled in 2018 or so. I agree with you on that.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
161 Posts
What is disheartening about all of this to me is that there appears to be no interest in designing a product that is uniquely Dodge or Chrysler (except for the Airflow and it remains to be seen if that will actually be released). Resources are devoted constantly to Jeep, including the new electric Jeepster that has been recently revealed as a teaser. And past poor sales performance of the brands is no excuse to let these marques languish. If resources are devoted to the brands, they can easily come back. Look at the example of Kia and Hyundai which have been highly successful after a weak start in their sales history. New unique product creates excitement for the brand and while the Hornet is not an unappealing design, it still seems like a half-hearted after thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's great but it doesn't express Dodge DNA
There has not been a new offering from Dodge that significantly expressed Dodge DNA in over 13 years. We are in an age of platform/architecture sharing for the sake of reducing expenses. We are also in an age where big block muscle is being legislated away (2026 CAFE of 49 MPG if you haven't seen the latest news). Your "DNA" would be a Charger/Challenger like front end with race track tail lights in the rear. I have little to no hope that the new STLA platform offerings are going to be a large departure from vehicles already existing in the Stellantis garage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There has not been a new offering from Dodge that significantly expressed Dodge DNA in over 13 years. We are in an age of platform/architecture sharing for the sake of reducing expenses. We are also in an age where big block muscle is being legislated away (2026 CAFE of 49 MPG if you haven't seen the latest news). Your "DNA" would be a Charger/Challenger like front end with race track tail lights in the rear. I have little to no hope that the new STLA platform offerings are going to be a large departure from vehicles already existing in the Stellantis garage.
I disagree. The Dodge look stems from the second generation Charger where the sloping upward beltline begins a third of the way back at the front door and crests over the rear wheel. The current Charger displays that look. Yes, the front derives from the early Challengers and Chargers with a kick-up between the lights, referencing the '65 and later Dodge grills and the racetrack tail lughts as well. Those themes have been developed in a variety of concept vehicles as well as production models when there was interest in developing a Dodge "personality."

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Like I said, wouldn't be my choice. By the way, I did do a new Omni.
It's the side profile that is the problem, I don't think that "D" pillar design is fixable without expensive re-engineering to the body structure, possibly they could change the shape of the rear door to remove the pointy end at the top and round/flatten it out somehow, without damaging ingress to the vehicle. A sticky issue which I am not sure the designers have the skill to fix. lack of experience, maybe? since a lot of the senior people have left over the last decade or so.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,221 Posts
Yes, the side profile is off. IMHO, the front overhang, while not as bad as the Cherokee still looks like there's too much compared to the rear.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think they're idiotic for half-heartedly following the crossover crowd. Instead what they really should be doing is giving Dodge a unique, solid competitive offering that does one, or a few things exceptionally well- maybe handling and power. A Charger, or Magnum replacement, or the Intrepid I rendered would all be several times better than a Tonale rebadge.

I have less issue with an Opel or Peugeot rebadge than the Alfa because of the sharp lines that the Opel and Peugeot have that evoke "muscle". The Tonale in my opinion doesn't have enough character lines, and looks too bulbous- something I don't associate with Dodge.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Even if we were to have, let's say a Neon and an Intrepid based on the 208 and C5 X/508, I think that's a good starting design point, which Stellantis could build off of to eventually give Dodge it's own language, as well as give these vehicles and more high power engines or high range motors/batteries.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,902 Posts
Think about the business POV for a moment. They want to jump start things. It takes a long time to start from scratch, though clearly they are doing that with a 2024-25 new model phase in (probably going into 2026) for Windsor and Brampton product. The Tonale is there already and it's based on Compass so it can clearly be made at a reasonable price. The powertrain is done other than being retuned for Dodge. Like the Meridian, it's a sensible short term solution which will fill the gap and help them achieve the current 39 mpg(!) standard. What's more, if gasoline prices stay the same, they will need something like this to counter the Hellcat cars, which are still going to be sold while this is launched; the Wagoneers; the next-gen Durangos; the Wranglers; and all those Rams.

·
Jeepaholic
6,832 Posts
As Dave put it above, “sensible short term solution”. Get something decent into the market to establish a foothold and then replace or upgrade down the road as necessary. How many market segments have they abandoned or just not entered?

I don’t think this looks bad at all, at least what we can make out from the camo and non-production pieces. Let’s see what the final product looks like.

241 - 260 of 317 Posts