Allpar Forums banner
261 - 280 of 317 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,223 Posts
As Dave put it above, “sensible short term solution”. Get something decent into the market to establish a foothold and then replace or upgrade down the road as necessary. How many market segments have they abandoned or just not entered?

I don’t think this looks bad at all, at least what we can make out from the camo and non-production pieces. Let’s see what the final product looks like.
It sure makes sense. While it's not my cup of tea, there will be many that will take a liking to it.
It all depends on how well it's built, what kind of power is under the hood and it's driving habits. Just to name a few. It buys time.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Performance will be the key. Does it align with Dodge's branding or is it just an appliance?

Also, if it is the first PHEV from Dodge, will it excite performance enthusiasts or disappoint them?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm not complaining about the Dodge version, so much as the Tonale design itself. A lame-ish effort to start with, they could have done better, especially knowing that Dodge would also have to work with the design. They might not have had a lot of money to spend, although I don't get that bit, seeing how important these vehicles are to their respective segments, you'd think they wanted to make more of a splash, considering how late to the game they are. These designs already look dated and they haven't hit the streets yet.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Given the age of the platform, this design could've been done a few years ago. That could explain the "dated" look.
Yup. The Alfa and Dodge seem to be a warmed-over Compass 4xe, just as most of us thought.

Hopefully, this is the last FCA designed vehicle hitting showrooms and everything else going forward will be Stellantis designed and on the all new STLA platforms.

There are still some clinging to the Giorgio is STLA Large story.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm not complaining about the Dodge version, so much as the Tonale design itself. A lame-ish effort to start with, they could have done better, especially knowing that Dodge would also have to work with the design. They might not have had a lot of money to spend, although I don't get that bit, seeing how important these vehicles are to their respective segments, you'd think they wanted to make more of a splash, considering how late to the game they are. These designs already look dated and they haven't hit the streets yet.
Slapping a Charger front end on the Tonale and calling it a day isn't going to cut it.
And even the Alfa looks like they had to work around the Jeep Compass template...making the Tonale look fat from some angles.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
That is a personal opinion that amber lights look more premium.
As for a safety, the results are all over the place in the studies I've seen and I don't see a huge advantage for amber there either.
I much prefer amber rear signals for both looks and function. What I really like about amber signals from a safety stand point is you can use your hazards and applying the brakes doesn't cancel them out. That way drivers behind me get two forms of information. 'Something is wrong and I'm slowing down'. Most red rear signals are combination signal and brakes so applying the brakes removes information that might aid other drivers.
One more thing that looks cheap and most certainly not premium is black cladding on roof pillars. Sure it looks find brand new but either it is gloss plastic or flat paint it quickly scratches or fades. Body color pillars look better longer and are easier to take care of.

·
Super Moderator
40,496 Posts
I much prefer amber rear signals for both looks and function. What I really like about amber signals from a safety stand point is you can use your hazards and applying the brakes doesn't cancel them out. That way drivers behind me get two forms of information. 'Something is wrong and I'm slowing down'. Most red rear signals are combination signal and brakes so applying the brakes removes information that might aid other drivers.
One more thing that looks cheap and most certainly not premium is black cladding on roof pillars. Sure it looks find brand new but either it is gloss plastic or flat paint it quickly scratches or fades. Body color pillars look better longer and are easier to take care of.
Many modern all red tail lights use separate sections for brake and turn signals.

·
Jeepaholic
6,832 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll believe it when I see the the Airflow released as a Chrysler. Stellantis has 14 brands, which is about 8 too many. The mid-price/premium car is dead. The only other US equivalent is Buick, which is down to three generic CUVs.. The 300C is in its 19th model year looking pretty much the same, and the Pacifica, like its earlier namesake seems tobe tailor made for Madge to take her bridge club to Denny's for the early bird special. This alleged Airflow won't be available for two or three years. Just let Chrysler die.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Hot off the press... a few months ago.

CEO Carlos Tavares Confirms Chrysler Has Bright Future

At an event outside of Amsterdam today to discuss the future product strategy for the 14-brand Stellantis empire, CEO Carlos Tavares said that "Chrysler is one of the emotional pillars of the former FCA. It's important for us to give this brand a future and opportunity to rebound," and that "Chrysler will be relaunched." He added that the coming Chrysler models "look really gorgeous," which is something that CEOs always say about future products.

In speaking more broadly about the U.S. brand strategy, Tavares said, "We have the strategic vision to invest in all the American brands," but added that "I have no intention to bring more brands to the U.S. right now. I think we have enough."

Read Full Article

Also...
Stellantis/Jeep Pulling out of China over Communist Government Meddling In It's Business

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
I’d feel more confident in Chrysler if the new models were launching next year, even as 2024’s and not sometime out in 2025 or beyond. The 10 year clock is already down to 8 with nothing arriving until year 5-7?? How is a brand to prove it’s worth with potentially only 2 years of all new product sales?

Reactions: NWbyNW and Zagnut27

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,133 Posts
I’d feel more confident in Chrysler if the new models were launching next year, even as 2024’s and not sometime out in 2025 or beyond. The 10 year clock is already down to 8 with nothing arriving until year 5-7?? How is a brand to prove it’s worth with potentially only 2 years of all new product sales?
Two years of a hit makes a lot of noise.

1967 Charger (variant of B body) 15,788
1968 Charger (own B body) 92,590

That was a big statement in any language.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
It takes at least 3-4 years to launch an all-new product. More if it is electrified.
FCA left basically nothing in the pipeline for Stellantis to launch....they are starting from scratch.

Of would you prefer a rushed, half-baked vehicle as the halo for a new Chrysler?

Reactions: tlc

·
Jeepaholic
6,832 Posts
It takes at least 3-4 years to launch an all-new product. More if it is electrified.
FCA left basically nothing in the pipeline for Stellantis to launch....they are starting from scratch.

Of would you prefer a rushed, half-baked vehicle as the halo for a new Chrysler?
I don’t think he’s saying that the products should be rushed. The brands have been given 10 years to prove themselves, so by the time these new products are actually on sale, it’s far less than 10 years remaining, and it won’t be a lot of time to accumulate sales data upon which to make a decision for life vs death of a brand.

The cupboards are indeed bare, unless you’re Jeep or Ram. Though Ram probably should’ve gotten a midsize along the way. Those of us who dared question “the plans” knew it was BS.

261 - 280 of 317 Posts