Allpar Forums banner
261 - 280 of 296 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,450 Posts
Those are totally generic tail-lights. It would be interesting if all this led up to just an updated, rebadged Renegade.

Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, really. Retune it, change the interior and exterior styling, up the power, you have a pretty decent car.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The styling is hideous! The sky is falling!

@Dave Z I wouldn't hate it. I'm happy it has a usable hatch unlike its import competition.

·
Administrator
37,450 Posts
The styling is hideous! The sky is falling!

@Dave Z I wouldn't hate it. I'm happy it has a usable hatch unlike its import competition.
I don't have much of a problem with the Renegade but don't cross-shop with Hyundai.

·
Super Moderator
38,725 Posts
I don't have much of a problem with the Renegade but don't cross-shop with Hyundai.
Yes, I just went with a friend who was car shopping at CarMax.
The choices were down to a 2019 Renegade Night (something, Night Hawk, Night Eagle I forget) and a 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe. Both AWD.
The driving experience difference was incredible. The 2.4 8 speed in the Hyundai shifts at the right time. As is often the case, the 2.4 9 speed shifts at times to kill whatever momentum the engine has built.
The Renegade already felt well used at 15k miles. The Hyundai easily won and that's what my friend bought.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Wonder what is next to the Renegade. Could it be the Hornet in disguise ?
It could be an early prototype of the A-segment Jeep for international markets

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Reactions: XRT2SRT

·
Administrator
37,450 Posts
It could be a restyled 500X under all that camo.
That's why I think it's a 500X, Renegade update, or maybe Hornet based closely on Renegade, so closely you can't tell with the grille covered up. And, again, nothing wrong with that. Shove in the 2.0T and suspension upgrades to match it, and you have a very credible Dodge.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Those are totally generic tail-lights. It would be interesting if all this led up to just an updated, rebadged Renegade.

Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, really. Retune it, change the interior and exterior styling, up the power, you have a pretty decent car.
Exactly!

What you would end up with is the new Dodge Hornet / Chrysler (insert name here)

·
Administrator
37,450 Posts
Exactly!

What you would end up with is the new Dodge Hornet / Chrysler (insert name here)
PSA would indeed do a Chrysler as well, while they were at it. Just a quick differentiating thought:

500X: 1.3T engine, FWD, lighter weight body
Renegade: 1.3T engine, AWD only; 2.0T optional in Trailhawk model; beefed up body
Hornet: 2.0T only, AWD only, lighter weight body, suspension tuned for handling, transmission and engine tuned for performance and 0-60 times
Chrysler: 2.0T only, same body as Hornet, suspension tuned for comfort, transmission and engine tuned for responsiveness in normal/gentle driving (engine optimized for low horsepower response)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
PSA would indeed do a Chrysler as well, while they were at it. Just a quick differentiating thought:

500X: 1.3T engine, FWD, lighter weight body
Renegade: 1.3T engine, AWD only; 2.0T optional in Trailhawk model; beefed up body
Hornet: 2.0T only, AWD only, lighter weight body, suspension tuned for handling, transmission and engine tuned for performance and 0-60 times
Chrysler: 2.0T only, same body as Hornet, suspension tuned for comfort, transmission and engine tuned for responsiveness in normal/gentle driving (engine optimized for low horsepower response)
So no mainstream American brand one with a 1.5T? There needs to be an end to these FCA style management decisions, Dodge has to be restored. You can't just go after RDX and RDX A spec while leaving nothing to compete with CR-V.

·
Administrator
37,450 Posts
I'm just tossing out thoughts here. These aren't real plans. I forgot the 1.5T even existed for a moment. So Hornet 2.0T, Chrysler 1.5T. Point is I do suspect we will see greater use of the same basic bodies with differentiation in tuning, engines, looks, and features.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'm just tossing out thoughts here. These aren't real plans. I forgot the 1.5T even existed for a moment. So Hornet 2.0T, Chrysler 1.5T. Point is I do suspect we will see greater use of the same basic bodies with differentiation in tuning, engines, looks, and features.
You got it backwards again. Chrysler goes after NX and RDX, Dodge after RAV4 and CR-V, so Dodge needs both, Chrysler just the 2.0T. Remember FCA's marketing equation Dodge = high performance is dead.

Chrysler and Dodge can share some body panels, neither should have Jeep's top of a hexagon wheel arches or high roofs.

·
Administrator
37,450 Posts
You got it backwards again. Chrysler goes after NX and RDX, Dodge after RAV4 and CR-V, so Dodge needs both, Chrysler just the 2.0T. Remember FCA's marketing equation Dodge = high performance is dead.

Chrysler and Dodge can share some body panels, neither should have Jeep's top of a hexagon wheel arches or high roofs.
You're assuming things I'm not assuming. First, I'm not assuming Dodge can swap on a dime, or that Chrysler still has a major reputation for being upscale. I don't think Chrysler can go after Lexus or Mercedes any more, and anyway Alfa Romeo and Maserati are in those slots now.

You have your imaginary Chrysler and I'll have mine. I'm not getting anything backwards. I'm assuming Dodge remains performance tinged and Chrysler remains tech/comfort tinged, and neither of them magically gains enough cachet to even try to compete against Acura — which itself is one of the least luxury of the luxury brands.

There's a reason Hyundai created Genesis instead of saying, “Well, now we have Kia for the bottom end, so we'll just magically push Hyundai up.”

261 - 280 of 296 Posts