Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally approved for FCA Fleet, and in production, the Durango Pursuit will compete with the Exploder Interceptor and Tahoe 4×4 PPV. The Durango will use much of the Charger Pursuits' police-only features and technology.

At this time, it appears that the Durango Pursuit will be V8/AWD, but this marks the first use of the 8-spd 8HP90 automatic in a regular police model (previous SSV models also used the 8-spds).

Very strong demand for a Durango Pursuit is primarily what triggered engineering and development of the model, along with atrocious operating costs of the Ford and Chevy SUV police models.

FCA US Media - Dodge Announces Police Pursuit Version of 2018 Durango (at http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=19690&mid=1 )

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
Good to hear after years of it being said it couldn’t happen. Now is a great time to take advantage of Ford’s exhaust fume issue and get some sales.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The pursuit rating is determined by law enforcement groups. @AHBGuru will likely know the exact details. As for why it took so long... well, there has been debate over production capacity and then if pursuit model sales would displace higher margin retail sales and some more concern over the entire future of the Durango itself. To me it felt like a lot of emotional handwringing.

·
Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
1,317 Posts
What exactly entails pursuit rated and why did it take so long?
Any Durango sold is a Grand Cherokee not sold (capacity wise). Also it wasn't sure that demand was sufficient. Apparently they found a way to make the financials work. I'm sure increased sales of the Explorer to police helped move the needle.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seams to have same AWD with 2 speed transfer case and 4wd lo mode that’s in Durango R/T 4x4.
Yes, that's a different case than the V6 model. The V8 Durango has the 2-spd case.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What exactly entails pursuit rated and why did it take so long?
They didn't have to do much. The SRT group engineers most of the cop car stuff, and the Durango SRT was the catalyst for the squad. Police battery and harness, huge brakes, police tires and suspension calibrations, the usual police features and options from the Charger, and of course "specially calibrated" ECM. I didn't ask about actual performance specs, but I think a reasonable goal would be something like the Exploder or Tahoe top speed of 130-135 mph.

The manufacturer certifies to the law enforcement agencies that their Pursuit-Rated vehicles are engineered and built to perform safely, reliably, and within acceptable performance standards.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P
The pursuit rating is determined by law enforcement groups. @AHBGuru will likely know the exact details. As for why it took so long... well, there has been debate over production capacity and then if pursuit model sales would displace higher margin retail sales and some more concern over the entire future of the Durango itself. To me it felt like a lot of emotional handwringing.
Production capacity was always the #1 issue, but as reliability dropped and operating costs soared with the Exploder, agencies that preferred an SUV started clamoring for a Pursuit-Rated Durango from Chrysler when the 2014 refresh was scheduled. That was right when Durango retail sails soared, and the AWD Charger Pursuit debuted, so they decided to wait. In the meantime, SRT started work on a hot-rod Durango, a process which generally leads to a new squad, and it certainly did here. It didn't hurt that Brampton had shut down due to a supplier strike, either.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Finally approved for FCA Fleet, and in production, the Durango Pursuit will compete with the Exploder Interceptor and Tahoe 4×4 PPV. The Durango will use much of the Charger Pursuits' police-only features and technology.

At this time, it appears that the Durango Pursuit will be V8/AWD, but this marks the first use of the 8-spd 8HP90 automatic in a regular police model (previous SSV models also used the 8-spds).

Very strong demand for a Durango Pursuit is primarily what triggered engineering and development of the model, along with atrocious operating costs of the Ford and Chevy SUV police models.

FCA US Media - Dodge Announces Police Pursuit Version of 2018 Durango (at http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=19690&mid=1 )
I would assume they are using the same 8HP70 trans as the R/T/SRT and not the 8HP90.
Wonder what the brakes are?
As a Durango owner I love the performance options...opens up more parts for me to bolt on!

Also would make a great lower cost tow vehicle once they come up on auction.

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
If the Durango AHB is as firm as the Charger/Magnum AHB was, it’s not going to make a good riding used vehicle for the public.

I’m interested if the use steel wheels on them. Would be great for winter tires (or I could just buy several used full size spare rims.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts