Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For those of us that don’t like watching YouTube videos - what is the answer to the question asked?
The bottom line is that the Ford Bronco is a serious Wrangler competitor with many features that Jeepers have been asking for. It is not a warmed-over Ranger or restyled Troller. It is an all-new design with serious off-road credentials.

Is it a vehicle that dominates Wrangler? No. It has advantages and disadvantages over the Wrangler.

If Ford has no major quality gaffes, the Bronco is going to eat into Wrangler sales like nothing we have ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
The bottom line is that the Ford Bronco is a serious Wrangler competitor with many features that Jeepers have been asking for. It is not a warmed-over Ranger or restyled Troller. It is an all-new design with serious off-road credentials.

Is it a vehicle that dominates Wrangler? No. It has advantages and disadvantages over the Wrangler.

If Ford has no major quality gaffes, the Bronco is going to eat into Wrangler sales like nothing we have ever seen.
I haven't watched it yet, but that was about what I was expecting.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't watched it yet, but that was about what I was expecting.
The front sway bar disconnect is incredible.

With the Wrangler, you need to be on near level ground to connect/disconnect.
With the Bronco, you can be mid-articulation and disconnect the sway bar. Then you can reconnect while driving.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Bronco is better, no doubt. Wrangler has been stagnant, meaning, it has had the same front/rear lockers and sway bar disconnect for a long, long time. Now, maybe we will see serious hardware upgrades. Center locker would be nice. 35s would be nice. Onboard air. Bronco just smacked you and crashed your Easter Jeep Safari like a bunch of douches, please respond.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
I only had time to watch a few minutes worth, but I’m impressed.

I’ve just got one thing to say....show pony my a$$.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
In my neighborhood where there are several...I don't know anyone who actually takes them on a trail..they are bought more on the looks/cool factor and the Jeep still wins out there. IMO the Bronco is a bit of a bland box. The Sport even more so.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my neighborhood where there are several...I don't know anyone who actually takes them on a trail..they are bought more on the looks/cool factor and the Jeep still wins out there. IMO the Bronco is a bit of a bland box. The Sport even more so.
Styling is subjective.

I have not seen a Bronco in-person, but those who have say it has real presence. But again, we will see.

I know many are tired of the same-old Wrangler look. From CJ to TJ to JK, there was some styling changes. The average person cannot tell a JL from a JK. It goes back to FCA's bland styling mandates from the top down.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yes...but have you seen the interior??? Tonka toy...reminds me of the mid-2000 Dodge products..hard plastics, bland and mono colored. YUCK!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Styling is subjective.

I have not seen a Bronco in-person, but those who have say it has real presence. But again, we will see.

I know many are tired of the same-old Wrangler look. From CJ to TJ to JK, there was some styling changes. The average person cannot tell a JL from a JK. It goes back to FCA's bland styling mandates from the top down.
Most of them are modified in some way in my neighborhood..some quite heavily. Only those that have the Sahara are untouched. So aftermarket support might also be in play here with sales.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Not sure what that trim is but I sat in a Bronco Sport...can't remember the trim level but it was stickered over $30K and was very base rental car like. Total letdown IMO...the only good to me was the room.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,168 Posts
Does anyone here think what they did on that video was challenging? Did anyone notice the car in front of them at the end of the video? Looked like a Prius or some such....
You could do that, easily, in an older Grand Cherokee with a 2" OME lift, and if it had QD-II, well Jeep had that oh 16 years ago, in 2005! Full time auto engaging transfer case, and electronic lockers front and rear....
Remember after all the whiz-bang comments about sway bar disconnect, there are essential draw backs to the coil over shock front independent suspension that Ford and everyone else uses:
when the wheel goes up the differential housing stays right where it is, so there is less clearance, with a live axle the wheel goes up, the differential housing goes up as well, so clearance is maintained.
Now I can't speak for the Bronco's individual application of this design, but my impression based on driving live axle Jeeps (1998 Grand, 2017 Wrangler) vs IFS Jeeps (2007 Grand) is that the IFS has less up & down wheel travel. What Ford has done has mitigated that issue, but I sure hope they have an adequate skid plate under that aluminum differential housing.....

I have no doubt that the Bronco will sell well. I do have doubts about Ford's ability to deliver a fully developed reliable package of all this advanced technology.
Sometimes, when you are out in the boonies, simple trumps advanced (manually activated transfer case, yes, I have seen various Explorers and Blazers stuck on the beach in the sand with no front drive).
So I'm impressed but will reserve judgement. I am surely glad this came from Ford instead of Toyota or Nissan.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Not surprised by this test. The Wrangler's first real competitor in a long time is going to cause some near-term pain for sure. Time to buckle up. I've canceled my Bronco order but not because I think less of it, just had too much overlap with my G-wagen in terms of how I'd actually use it.

Not sure what that trim is but I sat in a Bronco Sport...can't remember the trim level but it was stickered over $30K and was very base rental car like. Total letdown IMO...the only good to me was the room.
The Bronco Sport's interior is nasty. It's full of cheap plastic but...so is the Compass and many others in that price range.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Does anyone here think what they did on that video was challenging? Did anyone notice the car in front of them at the end of the video? Looked like a Prius or some such....
You could do that, easily, in an older Grand Cherokee with a 2" OME lift, and if it had QD-II, well Jeep had that oh 16 years ago, in 2005! Full time auto engaging transfer case, and electronic lockers front and rear....
Remember after all the whiz-bang comments about sway bar disconnect, there are essential draw backs to the coil over shock front independent suspension that Ford and everyone else uses:
when the wheel goes up the differential housing stays right where it is, so there is less clearance, with a live axle the wheel goes up, the differential housing goes up as well, so clearance is maintained.
Now I can't speak for the Bronco's individual application of this design, but my impression based on driving live axle Jeeps (1998 Grand, 2017 Wrangler) vs IFS Jeeps (2007 Grand) is that the IFS has less up & down wheel travel. What Ford has done has mitigated that issue, but I sure hope they have an adequate skid plate under that aluminum differential housing.....

I have no doubt that the Bronco will sell well. I do have doubts about Ford's ability to deliver a fully developed reliable package of all this advanced technology.
Sometimes, when you are out in the boonies, simple trumps advanced (manually activated transfer case, yes, I have seen various Explorers and Blazers stuck on the beach in the sand with no front drive).
So I'm impressed but will reserve judgement. I am surely glad this came from Ford instead of Toyota or Nissan.
Depending on how they designed the suspension, the differential can be attached to the suspension so that it moves with the wheels. They did this with Li’l Blue:

The team working on Li'l Blue started by researching the 1963 Jeep Wagoneer design; its independent front suspension was the first of its kind, but it did have shortcomings, which Evan Boberg, Bob Sheaves, and Gerry Hentschel addressed. They started out with a deDion independent suspension, but, to increase wheel travel and ground clearance, connected the differential to the suspension so that it travelled with the wheel. This is illustrated by the following patent drawings; Evan Boberg and Gerald Hentschel were registered as inventors for Chrysler Corporation in the 1993 application.

One of the clever aspects of the system is that in cases where one wheel was particularly loaded, e.g. if one side of the vehicle was going over a rock or into a ditch, the differential would be pulled up by that wheel, providing better ground clearance regardless of which side was higher. This helps to counter the independent suspension's issues with jounce and rebound.

(from the Allpar article: Li’l Blue: the amazing independent-suspension Jeep...)

We’ll see when Bronco is out and about, with multiple reviews and off-road comparisons and real world usage. Then we’ll have a better idea of capability and durability.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,168 Posts
Depending on how they designed the suspension, the differential can be attached to the suspension so that it moves with the wheels. They did this with Li’l Blue:

The team working on Li'l Blue started by researching the 1963 Jeep Wagoneer design; its independent front suspension was the first of its kind, but it did have shortcomings, which Evan Boberg, Bob Sheaves, and Gerry Hentschel addressed. They started out with a deDion independent suspension, but, to increase wheel travel and ground clearance, connected the differential to the suspension so that it travelled with the wheel. This is illustrated by the following patent drawings; Evan Boberg and Gerald Hentschel were registered as inventors for Chrysler Corporation in the 1993 application.

One of the clever aspects of the system is that in cases where one wheel was particularly loaded, e.g. if one side of the vehicle was going over a rock or into a ditch, the differential would be pulled up by that wheel, providing better ground clearance regardless of which side was higher. This helps to counter the independent suspension's issues with jounce and rebound.

(from the Allpar article: Li’l Blue: the amazing independent-suspension Jeep...)

We’ll see when Bronco is out and about, with multiple reviews and off-road comparisons and real world usage. Then we’ll have a better idea of capability and durability.
While that is true, that's not what Ford did. They used the same basic coil-over shock design used by most other 4x4 trucks, with certain modifications.
So the limiting factors are still differential clearance and the angles that the CV joints have to cycle through when the suspension compresses and unloads.
These two issues do not affect the articulation of a live axle, the limit is how much the driveshaft double cardan joints can articulate.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts