Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I'm new to the forum, new to PT Cruisers, new to buying a Chrysler product, and I'm wearing a new pair of socks. I've done a little research on the PT and come to the conclusion that it is what I my family needs right now. I am an auto mechanic.

Thanks- great forum!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Welcome.

The '02 does have one headache in the form of being a transition year for the timing belt kit, but if my coworker's experiences indicate, the car is reliable enough that the pain of changing the timing belt, idler, tensioner, and the rest of the shebang is probably worthwhile. So far, his only major expense that's a true part failing has been a need to do the radiator and fan assembly. He still needs to do his timing belt and his motor mounts, but he's close to 110,000 miles into the car without too many problems.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
My dad has an '02 PT Limited Edition and it has been a good car for him. Very versatile and a good road car.
The PT is heavier than the Neon on which it is based and some feel that the 2.4L is anemic (especially with the A/C compressor engaged), but it is suitable around town and fuel economy is 20-22 and ~30 on the open road at 55 mph.
The front control arm rear-most bushings would slide down and allow the control arm to rattle against the crossmember. It was completely safe and wouldn't come apart, but was annoying. The rear axle Watt's link could wear and rattle over bumps as well.
The 2.4L is freewheeling, so even if the timing belt breaks it will not cause valve-to-piston hits. Replace the water pump and idler pulleys along with the belt. You only want to do this once.
A factory service manual is a good investment for diy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome here!

I am new to the PT also; we're still waiting on the paperwork on ours. We drove up and bought it last week, and my wife drove it home from Indiana, a little over 500 miles, with stops for food and gas. She was pleased with it. I did a four hour run TUE and it was comforatble and solid on the road. It does seem much more substantial than the Neon, and I like Neons.

There are some folks here who know the particulars of the PT, so it is good place for help.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts