Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the site and fairly new to mopars in general. I'm considering getting a 77 Cordoba with a 400 so if anyone can help with good points bad point possible problems ect. I would be greatful

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, man. Where in Tennessee are you? There are a few of us here from all over the state. I've never had any expericence with the 400, but I sure did love my 383 powered Mopars back in the 70's.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 77 Cordoba with the 400 myself. It is the first older Mopar I have owned and I must say that overall I have been impressed with how well it handles and how well built they are for something from that era. They used Chrysler's well proven B body, which was their medium size platform for cars from 1962-79. They are closely related to Dodge Chargers and Plymouth Roadrunners of the early 70's and share some parts. There are plenty of groups and websites for B body cars that welcome Cordoba's into their fold.

There are a few things to consider on these cars. The Carter Thermoquad carbs are difficult to tune and will probably need to be rebuilt. Then there is the Lean Burn system. This was an early computer controlled ignition timing device that was problematic and many people today convert them to a conventional ignition. Conversion requires new distributor and carburetor, and adding an ingnition control box. Parts are available for conversion and there is plenty of advice on the web. Finally, the rear ends of these cars are geared pretty low. Standard was 2.45, and to go higher you have to change carriers as well as gears. Again, parts are available. With the 2.45 in my car I can still do 0-60 in 11 seconds, which is pretty doggone good for a heavy late 70's car. However, someday I will change.

I don't know what you want to do with the car. If you want something to drive around in and take to some shows and cruise nights, there is nothing better for the price. Mine gets lots of attention because they aren't seen much any more. If you want to rebuild the engine, add some perfomance parts, and re-gear the rear end and take it to the strip then they adapt really well to that too because of their B body heritage. With torsion bar suspension and front and rear sway bars they ride great and handle even better. Body parts are a little hard to find, but you'll have no trouble with drivetrain or suspension parts.

Good luck if you get it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts