Allpar Forums banner

New manufacturer coming into Nascar

8K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  morepower 
#1 ·
I'm Just questioning the timing, could Dodge pull a fast one and get back into Nascar? Brad keselowski is going to Roush Fenway Racing also been hearing that another Manufacturer is coming. I'm "WISHFUL THINKING"???

#5 ·
As NASCAR continues their plan to evolve the sport, their focus is expanding from tracks and new cars to who is making those cars.
Sports Business Journal’s Adam Stern shared that while NASCAR has declined to comment, there is “industry chatter” that they are progressing to “sign at least one new manufacture.
This quote is from beyondtheflag.com

#6 ·
Not gonna happen. There's only three engine programs in the entire NASCAR field. Any new manufacturer would have to build a program entirely from the ground up. Too much $$$ for basically what amounts to marketing. They'd be better off buying Superbowl ad time. There is no "fast way" into the Cup series.

#13 ·
It no longer exists in the true sense of it's prime years in the 50's & 60's.
Though they may have been death traps, the drivers knew it and most drove accordingly.
Now the "cars" in NASCAR bear no resemblance to what is sold in showrooms on Monday.
And with all the safety devices and precautions in the vehicles, the drivers can be, and are
reckless as opposed to cautious.
When King Richard left Plymouth, my interest in NASCAR, although minor, ceased completely.
I can't name a single driver (or a married one) and have no idea which "makes" (and I use that term VERY LOOSELY) even compete any more.
Nor, do I even care.

#15 ·
I too kinda zoned out after a few good years of watching Nascar. I tuned in to watch several years later,Fox was broadcasting this race and just like the last time I watched them played favorites during the race. Anyone past the top 10 was invisible to the audience.

A few weeks ago I watched a NBC with Jr and Ward Burton doing the color. It was a breath of fresh air. These two have it down pat. Tell you things you/I never knew about cars, drivers, tracks and inside info. Sometime they get so excited they completely take over the broadcast, which is great they add so much to the race. IMHO

P.S. It will never be the same and I think as it changes is will simply become 2-door Indy Car racing.

#16 ·
If the 'new' manufacturer throws enough money at NASCAR they will be quickly competitive.

Recall when Toyota first came on the scene they qualified 1-2-3 at Daytona with some tar-like substance in the intake manifolds. Nothing ever became of this and no explanation of what the substance was.

#20 ·
"
According to one source, the entire fuel system of Waltrip’s car had been packed with the fuel additive polypropylene oxide, a performance-enhancing oxidant.
"It’s all around the fuel," Pemberton said. "It is something we will not tolerate."
The penalties: Waltrip was hit with the loss of both crew chief David Hyder and competition director Bobby Kennedy, who were ejected from this week’s races and suspended indefinitely. Hyder was fined $100,000 and the team was penalized 100 points".

#25 ·
The main rumors are that Honda or Acura would be joining the series. Acura is the main name being thrown around with their new TLX and their push to enter motorsports in different leagues. They are really proud of their new sports sedan and they want to promote it.

There have been minor rumors about Dodge coming back. I hope this is true, but it is unlikely and most die-hard Mopar fans pushing this idea.

Others have brought up Kia and the K5 or Hyundai but there have been no indications from the conglomerate they would join.

#28 ·
One thing they definitely have in common with their street counterparts; the more safety improvements they add the more reckless the drivers become.

#34 ·
NASCAR is no longer on a decline. It's stabilized and I believe has a lot of potential for another growth period.

The two races pointed out where ratings were down 40% was the Daytona 500 that got rained out and ran on a Monday when everyone was working. The other was a Saturday Pocono race that no-one knew was on a Saturday. Because the following day, the Sunday race of Pocono matched the previous years ratings.

If we are going to go after the drops in viewership, lets also talk about the gains.
The O'Reilly Auto Parts 253 had nearly 5 million viewers over the 3.2 million the previous year. The Dixie Vodka 400 at Homestead had 4.2 million viewers compared to 2.7 the previous year. The Food City Bristol race had 3.1 million compared to 2.9 the previous year. Richmond had 3.3 million over 2.7 million. Talladega had 4.7 million over 2.0 million the previous year. Kansas had 2.7 to 1.4 million. Dover had 2.4 million over 1.7 million. The Coca Cola 600 was 4 million over 3.9. What I am saying is the majority of races this year have had their tv ratings up or about the same. Source I could go on.

NASCAR track attendance has been an ongoing issue, but has had many sell outs this year, which they were not having previous years. Road America was a completely overcrowded sell-out. Nashville was a sell out. Many other tracks have had lower than peak attendance, but they have had steady attendance and more than previous years.

To say NASCAR is declining is no longer the case. It is either reached it's position averaging roughly 3 million viewers a week, or being on the edge of another growth spurt with all the new drivers, new talent, and new people watching. Demographics from the tv ratings have shown lots of new viewers, but also the viewers watching on tv. NASCAR's biggest gains have been through people streaming races online, which are not included on tv ratings. Depending on where you look and for which race, this can add as much as 400,000 to a million new viewers per race, possibly more. This is coming from roughly 50,000 streamers just back in 2018.

#38 ·
NASCAR is no longer on a decline. It's stabilized and I believe has a lot of potential for another growth period.

The two races pointed out where ratings were down 40% was the Daytona 500 that got rained out and ran on a Monday when everyone was working. The other was a Saturday Pocono race that no-one knew was on a Saturday. Because the following day, the Sunday race of Pocono matched the previous years ratings.

If we are going to go after the drops in viewership, lets also talk about the gains.
The O'Reilly Auto Parts 253 had nearly 5 million viewers over the 3.2 million the previous year. The Dixie Vodka 400 at Homestead had 4.2 million viewers compared to 2.7 the previous year. The Food City Bristol race had 3.1 million compared to 2.9 the previous year. Richmond had 3.3 million over 2.7 million. Talladega had 4.7 million over 2.0 million the previous year. Kansas had 2.7 to 1.4 million. Dover had 2.4 million over 1.7 million. The Coca Cola 600 was 4 million over 3.9. What I am saying is the majority of races this year have had their tv ratings up or about the same. Source I could go on.

NASCAR track attendance has been an ongoing issue, but has had many sell outs this year, which they were not having previous years. Road America was a completely overcrowded sell-out. Nashville was a sell out. Many other tracks have had lower than peak attendance, but they have had steady attendance and more than previous years.

To say NASCAR is declining is no longer the case. It is either reached it's position averaging roughly 3 million viewers a week, or being on the edge of another growth spurt with all the new drivers, new talent, and new people watching. Demographics from the tv ratings have shown lots of new viewers, but also the viewers watching on tv. NASCAR's biggest gains have been through people streaming races online, which are not included on tv ratings. Depending on where you look and for which race, this can add as much as 400,000 to a million new viewers per race, possibly more. This is coming from roughly 50,000 streamers just back in 2018.
Last years NASCAR TV improved views may be related as the Country was coming out of COVID and was the only sport venue that was not only televised but also one to the public! I remind everyone that MLB, NFL, NBA and the NHL did not have a 'season' with spectators and NASCAR was the only thing going both in person and on TV! It would be interesting to see viewer stats this year especially after the other sports venues had spectators and viewers! I didn't sleep at the Holiday Inn last night but I would wager that NASCAR viewership declined at the start of the NFL and NBA season.

#35 ·
Hate to discourage you, but NASCAR is still trying to recover not only with COVID but also with their ill thought out over saturation expansion plan of the nineties and just like the hippies traveling in vans in the sixties, the red neck camper fans of the nineties have grown up and left the center field (for good)! I don't know where the current retro fit of the small forgotten southern race tracks is going or whether it will be successful, but the fan base have grown up and their off spring are more interested in I-Pads in their bedroom instead of the time gone by value of sitting on the back seat going to a NASCAR race! I don't see the new fan comprehending a ten minute battery cell pit stop with the possible introduction of NASCAR EV's but we will see! Any (new) manufacturer to NASCAR cannot justify a fifty million dollar investment ti the sport and the expected shortened life of the ICE engine!

#36 ·
I don't know. The last two races I attended - the Coca-Cola 600 and the fall Bristol race last year - were well attended. About 60,000 at the 600 and over 150,000 at Bristol. It wasn't just the old red neck crowd either. Lots of young people.

It is true many other tracks were not sell outs, but they did have a decent crowd at quite a few. NASCAR doesn't publicize the actual attendence so it is hard to say with any accuracy.

#37 ·
Generally speaking after NASCAR expanded to Chicago, Kentucky and others as well as 'reinventing' some southern tracks, Michigan's June Race saw the beginning of the June Race hemorrhage. Before the expansion, Michigan (MIS) drew fans from Ohio, Pa, Kentucky, Tenn and Illionois as well as Canada continiously filling the grandstands and infield to 160Kplus. Not anymore! Those were the happy days for Brooklyn business and it's economy. The results finally came to roost when MIchigan tore out 40 percent on the grandstands and still continues to hemorrhage after losing one the two NASCAR Races. Now MIS had been transitioning to non-automotive events such as the Faster Horses Concert Weekend which along with it's problems brings in many more fans than a NASCAR race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.