Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I am new to this forum and PT Cruisers in General. My Dad has a 2006 convertible GT 5 spd turbo with 50,000 miles. The car has been garaged and is good condition. Unfortunately, at age 77 his vision has gone bad and can no longer drive. He has asked me to help him sell the car. I have looked online to try to get a value for the car and have found the numbers are all over the board. I'm wondering if I could get some advice on a good asking price for the car and some opinions on the best place to sell it.
Thanks in advance!
Craig

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,034 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The used car market is kinda crazy right now due to the pandemic restart and now the chip shortage.
Dealers probably aren't too interested in a 15 year old car, even if it is a special car. You may be best off selling it privately.
The KBB is a good place to start in setting an asking price. Being a clean and original owner car is in your favor.
If it has a clean Carfax report, provide that too.
We have a classified 'Cars for Sale' section below if you want to post it there.

·
Super Moderator
38,317 Posts
You can always try a CarMax or other buying service. The wholesale price might be high enough to avoid the hassle selling it yourself.

Private car sales often end up attracting dreamers with no cash or people who expect a perfect car even though it’s old.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered keeping the car in the family for another driver?

I have an '06 NA with 183,000+ miles in excellent condition. I recently had mine serviced and when that happens, CARFAX sends me back a report, and it includes their vehicle valuation: trade in $1320.

KBB private party sale valuation of $1431-$3618.

So I would like to think that my PT is closer to the $3618, if not more, since it is in excellent condition, everything works, never been in an accident.

I just did a CARMAX and their offer for my PT: $800

There is no way I would consider their offer.

The biggest thing with your Dad's PT is, being low mileage, I'm guessing that the timing belt has not been replaced. If that work has not been done, and if someone comes along and knows anything about PT's, you could expect them to want a discount of between $800-$1500 off whatever price you're asking if you can't prove that the timing belt has been replaced.

That's why I said earlier about keeping the vehicle in the family as it would probably be better to keep it, than let it go very cheap to someone else. But eventually the timing belt work will have to be done, sooner or later, if you keep it. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
76 Posts
(y)Welcome aboard from NJ. Just wondering where you live. If it's not in the "Rust Belt", like here in the northeast, it's more desirable. If I had any money I'd be interested myself. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the responses/advice...much appreciated! The car is northern California. I plan on going up next week and driving it back down here to San Diego. KBB has trade in value at 3100-4500 and private party value at 4400-7100. I'm thinking of starting on craig's list and see what kind of response I get. If that doesn't work, maybe try the local Chrysler dealer and see what they have to offer. This forum seems like a great group...thank you all again for all of the help!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thank you all for the responses/advice...much appreciated! The car is northern California. I plan on going up next week and driving it back down here to San Diego. KBB has trade in value at 3100-4500 and private party value at 4400-7100. I'm thinking of starting on craig's list and see what kind of response I get. If that doesn't work, maybe try the local Chrysler dealer and see what they have to offer. This forum seems like a great group...thank you all again for all of the help!
I'm betting your Chrysler dealer won't be interested in a 15 year old car, they would just send it to auction and it will never be on their lot.

You'd be better with a private party sale, but again, be prepared to take a discount if the timing belt work hasn't been done. But being a northern California car should be no rust, so you have that going for you.

You'd probably be lucky to get $3500-$4500.

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
Keep in mind that the timing belt/water pump job isn't for the feint of heart. It's a tough job for your average DIY/back yard mechanic. I don't know about labor prices in CA, but would think based on the prices of other things there, it wouldn't be a cheap job. When I lived in FL, it was a $1,000 to, $1,500 job and I don't know if that included the cam and crank seals or the center motor mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts