Allpar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2007 2.2 CRD Ltd in Surf Blue.

Most of my adult life, I've driven E class Mercs, Volvo V70s or Rover 800s (Sterling 800 in the US I think, a Honda Legend with added walnut and rust).

I spent the first lockdown converting a Kia Carnival (Kia Sedona here) into a 2 berth micro camper. It was my work van until covid hit.

The PT was 12 miles away and a scrapper at £485. It was a 2am drunk eBay bid I never expected to win.

I've spent maybe £700 so far, replacing both front callipers, a handbrake cable, both handbrake shoes, both wishbones, both front drop links and the awful factory wheels (from a Seat Ibiza, same year).

I have a work vehicle, so the plan is to slowly restore this car into like new condition with a few extra bits, nothing radical. Right now I have the front bumper off for respray, new fog lights and recon headlights. I plan to put big hub spacers and wide tyres on the back to improve the stance, blue window tints on the rear, chrome trim line at fuel cap level and a 180HP ECU remap.

There are 7000ish Cruisers in the UK and 20% less each year. Some parts for the Facelift model, especially the diesel are tricky to find... but I'm in this for the long term.

The pic is after a good clean and polish and the new wheels on.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
So you basically bought the car, sight unseen, except for what was listed in the eBay ad?

Pretty good score for a drunken stupor :cool:

And the old saying, .....be careful what you wish for..... might also come into play. :ROFLMAO:

But you own it now and have to take good care of it, they're becoming scarce.

I hope you enjoy it. :cool:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Congrats! You got it looking pretty good too, clean! I don't see any major or minor damage. I hope you love the car.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Even though we never got the diesel here in the States, you MIGHT find some parts and other items you need from people here. Have fun with it. The body looks to be in good shape. I like the wheels.

·
Registered
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
61 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. In that color, I think the PT looks very good. Best of luck with the parts sourcing and tuning.

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
86 Posts
Welcome. Cool car. Good luck with it. There are still 2 of them here on our crescent in Toronto. 3 until a year or so ago when the lady bought a Hyundai to replace it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. US cars are all rare to see here... you really only see the odd old Jeep Cherokee or new Renegade and a shed load of Teslas. Either the Tesla auto drive is rubbish or they are mostly driven by idiots. I suspect they have replaced Audi as the car of choice for mid life crisis "boy racers".

This beauty was for sale just over a mile from me until yesterday....

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Thanks all. US cars are all rare to see here... you really only see the odd old Jeep Cherokee or new Renegade and a shed load of Teslas. Either the Tesla auto drive is rubbish or they are mostly driven by idiots. I suspect they have replaced Audi as the car of choice for mid life crisis "boy racers".

This beauty was for sale just over a mile from me until yesterday....

Wow, that would have been quite the boulevard cruiser :cool:

And it's also blue, it would have looked very nice parked next to your PT :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2007 2.2 CRD Ltd in Surf Blue.

Most of my adult life, I've driven E class Mercs, Volvo V70s or Rover 800s (Sterling 800 in the US I think, a Honda Legend with added walnut and rust).

I spent the first lockdown converting a Kia Carnival (Kia Sedona here) into a 2 berth micro camper. It was my work van until covid hit.

The PT was 12 miles away and a scrapper at £485. It was a 2am drunk eBay bid I never expected to win.

I've spent maybe £700 so far, replacing both front callipers, a handbrake cable, both handbrake shoes, both wishbones, both front drop links and the awful factory wheels (from a Seat Ibiza, same year).

I have a work vehicle, so the plan is to slowly restore this car into like new condition with a few extra bits, nothing radical. Right now I have the front bumper off for respray, new fog lights and recon headlights. I plan to put big hub spacers and wide tyres on the back to improve the stance, blue window tints on the rear, chrome trim line at fuel cap level and a 180HP ECU remap.

There are 7000ish Cruisers in the UK and 20% less each year. Some parts for the Facelift model, especially the diesel are tricky to find... but I'm in this for the long term.

The pic is after a good clean and polish and the new wheels on.
/QUOTE]

You have it looking GREAT! Same colour as my 2006 GT Turbo. With proper upkeep, actually normal for a car this age, PT Cruisers are fun! Enjoy!

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Exactly that. I went to park up next to it for a photo on Saturday but it had gone. Gutted! Only the second Lincoln Continental I've seen in real life. 11mpg at $8.50 a gallon here would hurt though.
You don't actually drive it.

You just go out and sit in it, maybe listen to the stereo for a couple hours, and have a couple of drinks in it.

But you would look sharp sitting in it in your driveway :cool:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Before the Pound Sterling went metric in 1970, I was at the mercy of a London cashier to make change. Now I can do it. The Yank buck was first metric currency in 1792. Maybe one day we Yanks will learn how to measure. Welcome!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Love the user name! I'm glad Mr. Bungle got back in the game for The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
There is nothing more rare than a right-hand drive PT Cruiser with the diesel!

Keep us posted with the restoration.

You may find parts for the engine from other Chrysler Group vehicles sold at that time in the UK.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
726 Posts
Well, welcome firstly!
Secondly, that's actually pretty cool Seat wheels work on PT Cruisers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome aboard.

Love the user name! I'm glad Mr. Bungle got back in the game for The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny.
Thanks. The new (old) album is a little intense for me. Saw them in '99 when they were comparatively "normal". Took 5 friends who had never heard them before. They were enraptured.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, welcome firstly!
Secondly, that's actually pretty cool Seat wheels work on PT Cruisers.
A lot of VAG group wheels from the 90s and 00s fit Cruisers and there are some nice ones. Long term plan is to find a "new" beetle with steels and fit full moons for winter. There's a really detailed list on the UK Cruisers website but I wouldn't want to repost it without permission.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts