Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've been a PT Owner for the last 3-4 years or so. Spend a lot of time helping others on the facebook pages, figured I'd spend more time in actual forums instead.

A little about me:

I'm a British guy living in Kansas City, MO. Met my wife here back in 2015, moved and got married in 2018. Petrol/gearhead, electronics hobbyist and love restoring and building things.

About the car:

It's a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser. It was in my wife's family from 2007-2018, when I bought it from them. My father in law owned it, wife owned it and my sister in law owned it. It had no work beyond oil changes and tires when I bought it and was known for being kinda unreliable. I needed a car when I moved to the US though, and this fit my budget. As I got established, I had more disposable income and made it my project car. It's had almost everything done to it. It'll be kinda verbose, but I'll list off any mods below. Suffice to say, it's pretty reliable now. I took it on a 4700 mile round trip to Montana from KC, and she didn't have a single leak or issue on the entire trip. She took me there, did all the touristy stuff and brought me home safe. Kept my electronics charged, drinks cold and me entertained. She was a pleasure long distance. I know most people either love or hate PT Cruisers, but if you have questions feel free to ask.

Mods:

Front Strut Brace
Moog Struts with Tein Lowering Springs (Progressive rate)
Full poly bushing control arms/sway bar end links front and rear
Solid Racing Motor Mounts
KYB Gas-A-Just Shocks in the rear with Tein Rear Lowering Springs (Progressive rate)
Airaid Filter Cold Air Intake System
Gates Blue Performance Timing Kit
Bosch High Output Alternator
Full Aluminium Racing Radiator (Not the usual plastic endcaps)
Retrofitted Rear Sway Bar with poly bushes
Rear Drum to Disc brake conversion in progress
Slotted and drilled Power Stop performance rotors with Mopar OEM semi-metallic pads (front)
Heartthrob Catback Dual Upswept Exhaust
Halo Fog Lights (For wrangler, but fits PT 2nd gen)
Full LED conversion, including switchback LED's
Aftermarket LED Rear Tail Lights
Sequential Mirror Blinker Repeaters
Full leather steering wheel WITH MEDIA CONTROLS from a 2006 Chrysler Sebring
LED Underglow (Fully programmable via the Android radio)
Double DIN Android Head-Unit
2x 14" Kicker Subs in the rear
6x9 Speaker Conversion in the doors
2x Kicker Amps - 1x mono for usbs, 1x 4 channel for speakers
Interior footwell blue lighting
Custom A-Pillar Gauge Pods
Full leather seat swap
17x7 Konig Wheel Swap (from standard 15")
Toyo Extensa HPII Tires
Rear Spoiler fitted from a PT GT
Carbon Fiber Hood (not in pictures - it's undergoing restoration)
OEM Mopar PT Dream Cruiser Billet Grille (Upper and lower) for a 2010 Dream Cruiser
Underdrive Pulley (Waiting to be installed)
Whipple Supercharger - To be installed. Need to figure out the install as it was intended for 01-03.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I read they stopped making them.
Oh no way? :confused: That sucks. I'm still planning on using this car come engine-rebuild time. This thing is way too sentimental to back out now. I just googled, and you're right! Looks like they discontinued it in late 2017. I know a lot of people consider PT's throwaway and won't spend the money, but she's been so good to me. Beats a car payment anyway.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,973 Posts
Oh no way? :confused: That sucks. I'm still planning on using this car come engine-rebuild time. This thing is way too sentimental to back out now. I just googled, and you're right! Looks like they discontinued it in late 2017. I know a lot of people consider PT's throwaway and won't spend the money, but she's been so good to me. Beats a car payment anyway.
Defiantly beats car payments! Don't miss those.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Defiantly beats car payments! Don't miss those.
I used to work in car sales back in the UK, and I could not recommend them to anyone. They just aren't worth it. I've seen people with more expensive monthly car payments than what I paid outright for my PT ($500)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I used to work in car sales back in the UK, and I could not recommend them to anyone. They just aren't worth it. I've seen people with more expensive monthly car payments than what I paid outright for my PT ($500)
Yeah the payments are nuts. My one friend wants to get one of the new 2 door broncos, I keep telling him no it's way too much money right now.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Welcome :D

Your PT has come a long way if you did all that work to it. But you got a gem especially if you only paid $500 for it. At that price, you could afford to put some $ in it and still have something nice that you can enjoy. :cool:

I hope you get to enjoy your PT for a very long time. (y)

I got the same grille setup on my PT, found it on eBay, NOS.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome :D

Your PT has come a long way if you did all that work to it. But you got a gem especially if you only paid $500 for it. At that price, you could afford to put some $ in it and still have something nice that you can enjoy. :cool:

I hope you get to enjoy your PT for a very long time. (y)

I got the same grille setup on my PT, found it on eBay, NOS.
Thank you! I sure did all that work, plus all the maintenance items that had never been touched. Still had original transmission fluid, steering fluid and belts and plugs and you name it when I got her. All said and done, I think I've spent close to $7000 now with mostly my own labour. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but I am keen to learn and make mistakes. Only thing I paid a mechanic to touch was the timing, I was not ready for that chore. I plan on being the guy at 60 with the same car her had when he had hair, with 600,000 on it haha!

Here's a picture of her the month after I bought her, I had cleaned the headlights at this point. They were a thick hazy yellow

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thank you! I sure did all that work, plus all the maintenance items that had never been touched. Still had original transmission fluid, steering fluid and belts and plugs and you name it when I got her. All said and done, I think I've spent close to $7000 now with mostly my own labour. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but I am keen to learn and make mistakes. Only thing I paid a mechanic to touch was the timing, I was not ready for that chore. I plan on being the guy at 60 with the same car her had when he had hair, with 600,000 on it haha!

Here's a picture of her the month after I bought her, I had cleaned the headlights at this point. They were a thick hazy yellow

View attachment 85700
Gotta put that American flag on the front!;)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
As you can probably tell, I like blue, too. My PT is Electric Blue Pearl.

Several years ago I found a set of the PT Cruiser lighted sill plates, that are also blue, look great at night.

I also added an LED strip in the gap under the rear hatch and bumper.

It has red LED's for the brake and white LED's for reverse:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome aboard from NJ and thank you for the history lesson & pictures. Official "Welcome To USA!" My wife's daughter lives in the UK! Probably because I have B.O. or something.LOL!
My son has an 05 PT but we are working on little issues here & there but what the hey, it's 17 years old for crying out loud! Yours is tits!!!! (y)

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As you can probably tell, I like blue, too. My PT is Electric Blue Pearl.

Several years ago I found a set of the PT Cruiser lighted sill plates, that are also blue, look great at night.

I also added an LED strip in the gap under the rear hatch and bumper.

It has red LED's for the brake and white LED's for reverse:

That is clean!! I have the same 3rd brake like PT Cruiser logo! Had mine printed from a shop back home and shipped. Also, those sills are hard to come by. I managed to get a set from a guy I know out in FL

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Welcome to our delightful Insane Asylum...OOPS!...I mean Country.:LOL:

If you find yourself either amused...or...confused by the little...(or not so little) eccentricities you run across here in 'Murica, you may find more than a few giggles in this YouTube channel I discovered not that long ago:

Lost in the Pond - YouTube

Speaking for myself...(and I am unanimous in this)*:p...I haven't stopped giggling since! :giggle:

As the content provider puts it: "I'm on a quest to uncover all of the memos that Britain and America Lost in the Pond.

** All due attribution and credit to the Late Great Mollie Sugden.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome to our delightful Insane Asylum...OOPS!...I mean Country.:LOL:

If you find yourself either amused...or...confused by the little...(or not so little) eccentricities you run across here in 'Murica, you may find more than a few giggles in this YouTube channel I discovered not that long ago:

Lost in the Pond - YouTube

Speaking for myself...(and I am unanimous in this)*:p...I haven't stopped giggling since! :giggle:

As the content provider puts it: "I'm on a quest to uncover all of the memos that Britain and America Lost in the Pond.

** All due attribution and credit to the Late Great Mollie Sugden.
Thank you!! Glad to be here. So far, I am loving the car community over here. Car community is pretty good in the UK, but it's been blown out of the water by the car scene out here in Kansas City! Weekly meets and cruises during the warmer months, a lot of fun!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts